It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study: Children Adopted by Homosexuals Are 'More Prone to Suicide'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one just like my thread from yesterday Natural Law Arguments in Defense of Marriage but, what the heck, I'm starting to get used to it.

People need to hear the truth no matter how "politically incorrect" it is.

Mexico City (CNA) -- A study presented at a symposium in Mexico, “Homosexual Adoption: What Science Has Discovered,” revealed that most children adopted by same-sex couples display “greater levels of stress,” and suffer from “suicidal tendencies and attempts.”

The symposium was organized by the Mexican Institute on Sexual Orientation, Renacer, in order to provide scientific information about homosexuality, homosexual adoptions and their impact on child development.

During his presentation, George A. Rekers, professor of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science at the University of South Carolina, said that “boys and girls adopted by lesbian and homosexual couples show a greater level of stress than that which is already generated by their status as orphans or children abandoned by their biological parents.”

He added that this situation “produces diverse trauma and behavioral disorders that can even lead to suicidal tendencies or attempts.”

“According to various studies containing testimonies from children of homosexual parents, most them of admit to suffering strong emotions, such as fear, anxiety, apprehension, shame and anger in trying to hide from their friends and relatives the homosexuality of their father or mother,” he continued.

Addressing the issue of homosexual “marriage,” the study pointed out that “they are significantly and substantially less stable and shorter on average compared with marriages between a man and woman.” Consequently, “homes with a homosexual adult inevitably contribute to substantially higher rate of changes in adoptive homes.”

“Due to the high incidence of psychological disorders among children who enter the adoptive care system,” those “living with a practicing homosexual in the adoptive home” are especially “vulnerable to psychological damage and an increasing inability to adapt,” Rekers said.

Read more: California Catholic Daily

What really caught my interest is the level of dishonesty and obfuscation involved in the movement to push gay adoption on the public. In order to get the public to buy into this, they have to exclude any and all scientific studies which could be critical of homosexual relationships.

The Editorial note from the beginning of the study shows the lengths they will go to to keep the truth from getting out:

The attorney assigned to defend the Arkansas regulation, Kathy Hall, curiously made motions in court to exclude all scientific evidence regarding the higher frequency of domestic violence, pedophilia, and sexual disease transmission by homosexual adults to children compared to married couples to children, which undermined her own case. So Kathy Hall instructed Professor Rekers not to review research in those areas.

Then, after seeing Dr. Rekers' review (included in this paper) of the evidence of higher rates of psychiatric disorders in practicing homosexuals compared to heterosexuals, attorney Kathy Hall made last minute motions to exclude that scientific evidence from consideration in the case just prior to Dr. Rekers' courtroom testimony. Ultimately, Kathy Hall did not allow Professor Rekers to present even 20% of the evidence in this paper that he provided her prior to his scheduled testimony in court, and as a result, Kathy Hall lost the case for the State of Arkansas. In contrast, the State of Florida used this kind of scientific research provided by Dr. Rekers in defending the law prohibiting homosexuals from adopting children, which defense succeeded all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court in January, 2005.

From the Study

[edit on 24-2-2010 by FortAnthem]

+47 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You absolutely must be kidding me. Narth? Narth... the homosexual rehabilitation people?

That is not science, that is propaganda. And the Catholic California, no bias there.

Perhaps do you have any peer reviewed scientific data not backed by insane rehab junkies making a profit at the expense of mentally destroying other people?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I lol'd because you felt like glossing over a clear cautionary of the context

“Due to the high incidence of psychological disorders among children who enter the adoptive care system,”

So kids who are in a system that messed with their heads, who are put into families that many in our society don't accept, have problems ranging from depression to suicide and have problems adapting.

Well clearly it isn't at all the system that really damages kids and the act of being put into situations that many people can't accept do to dogmatic, idiotic reasoning that some people persist to use in a prejudice fashion.

But hey, don't mind me #ting on your sunshine parade, you can continue harping your clearly biased reasoning and analyzing of the data out there.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Wow, that didn't take long. Quick draw using the standard ATS "attack the source" method.

I can tell by your quick response that you didn't even bother to read the study and just quickly dismissed everything just because you don't like the sources. Is that how we deny ignorance these days?

I expected more from a Super Mod. :shk:

At least Specter DC took the time to look over the study before attacking it.

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Here's the problem I have with this research. It has practically nothing to do w/ the effects of having gay parents and everything to do with the effects of living in a society that views gays as wrong and aberrant. They should stratify the study and see if this same result happens in areas where Gay rights are accepted like in San Francisco. Additionally, gay adoptive parents tend to have more money and be higher educated, is this mentioned? Does the study control for the act of being adopted itself? Do we not see higher rates of behavioral disorders in the adopted and foster population anyways (they speak of higher rates than simply being abandoned by parents, but NOT about controlling the data against other adopitive kids)? And where were the participants? In Mexico the social taboo against being gay (as well as the cultural concept of machismo) would make it harder for youths to deal with the wide spread prejudices (which is what the study actually appears to be measuring) as opposed to anything inherently wrong with Gay's adopting.

As for their gay marriages break up more, how in the heck are they measuring this when gay marriage is mostly illegal? The het divorce rate is 50%! The break-up of priior relationships rate must be even higher. I see no evidence either anecdotal (living in an a area w/ many gays and lesbians and counting several as my closest friends) who have relationship patterns that are anything different from the heterosexual world. In fact, many of them have some of the healthiest, long term relationships in our friend group.

Not flaming you, but the study as described does not add anything meaningful to the discussion and simply uses slanted statistics to push an agenda.

For context, I am a heterosexual medical data analysit.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
S & F

Thanks for exposing the situation, OP

I would certainly have been depressed as a kid to have two fathers or two mothers --- or worse ... if one of my 'fathers' had worn makeup and tried to play 'mummy'

How mortifying it would have been to have two women turn up to collect me at school, with one of my mothers playing the role of 'Daddy'

Kids are cruel, they say. Yes, they can be. But mostly, they're considered cruel because they're honest

Childhood's hard enough without two adults indulging themselves at a child's expense. It's not the homosexual couple who're confronted with scorn and ridicule, it's the kid who has to bear the brunt

No wonder so much has been withheld from the public re: homosexual adoptions. Just look at the list of symptoms suffered by kids adopted by homeosexuals !

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
How ridiculous. I find this false and IMO sure very very selective. And the source of this all is rather sketchy IMO.

Lets see. How many kids commit suicide from straight families? I guarantee its much higher.

How many kids coming from straight families have many more issues (mental, emotional, etc) from straight families? I bet much higher than gay families.

This "study" is completely crap, IMO.

I know more screwed up kids that come from straight families. So maybe we should be focusing on all the screwed up straight couples producing children and ruining thier lives

[edit on February 24th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Its funny, this whole anti politically correct thing is a good place for the xenophobes,
racists and bigots to hide behind
I disagree with study, love is love for children

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A homosexual rehab center? lol.

There has been plenty of studies on homosexual brain chemistry that shows a significant difference than a hetrosexual...aka, they are born that way.

Like trying to talk someone into being a different race...sort of impossible.

"Here at Narth, we will make you pretend to be straight, that way we can feel more comfortable with ourselves".

Sorry, but I pretty much stop there. As far as the kids of same sex partners being stressed more than kids with nuclear familys, of course...they got a bunch of flipping narth idiots always harassing them...you would be stressed also. (narth = intolerant ignorant jackholes)

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
meh why even bother

[edit on 24-2-2010 by DrumsRfun]

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by niteboy82

Wow, that didn't take long. Quick draw using the standard ATS "attack the source" method.

erm, source matters.

I am going to not bother with the political correctness for a moment and call these people a bunch of knuckle dragging, right wing, religofanatic retards.

Hey, I read that jooz love being murdered...I read it in the nazi journal...dont attack the source, just believe what they write.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
what do you expect from biased sourcing? Maybe if we start treating gays like -gasp- people! Maybe then stress levels will fall if this study can even really be trusted

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It cannot be denied that children desperately seek to conform. Desperately

The majority of children have a father and a mother. A child with two fathers or two mothers cannot conform with his/her peers and will suffer as a result

The agenda to promote homosexuality uses the media, which in turn portrays homosexual families as 'chummy', and 'great fun' and 'normal'

But real life is a vast departure from media representations. Kids are very interested in sex (even more so, thanks to the ruthless sexualisation of children). Kids find the mechanics and motivation behind sex to be hilarious and weird. How weird must they consider homosexual sex and how must the adopted child suffer as the result of jibes, disbelief and revulsion re: it's adoptive parents' sex life

As for 'love being love' .... tell that to the kid who just wants to conform and just wants a 'normal' set of parents

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Pure selective propaganda. I can't see how such a study can be held after only a relatively small time of gay adoption.

I know a few people who have been adopted out, some from a very early age and some later on. The older the child the more stress or trauma they seem to suffer. I only know one of these who has expressed any suicidal tendencies and they were adopted by a very middle class wealthy family.

Their problems seemed to stem from the idea they felt guilty for having such a good life and happiness when their mother was living in a mental hell of her own.

There are far to many factors to be taken into consideration for this to be a black and white issue. I mean haven't adopted kids been killing themselves for decades, well before anybody even thought about gay adoption?

In that case the straight sex families had a 100% suicide rate of adopted kids. See makes no sense.

As for the remark about one of the daddies wearing make up and pretending to be mummy, well I don't even have to comment on that do I.

Love is love and it's better for a child without a family to share in any love. The fact these gay men want to share their love and life with these children is a beautiful thing and should be admired as much as straight sex families who do the same.

On a different note is there any statistics in there about the percentage of children who are sexually and physically abused by straight sex parents after adoption?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

As for 'love being love' .... tell that to the kid who just wants to conform and just wants a 'normal' set of parents

WHAT is normal? Divorced parents? Straight parents who hate each other and make it known to all? Parents who fight continually and cause mass amounts of stress in their kids lives? Cheating parents? Fathers who hit their mothers? Mothers strung out on prescrip drugs because her husband wants nothing to do with her?

Seriously? We are comparing gay parents to straight parents and trying to define NORMAL?

No. Dont think so. Straight parents have a plethora of problems that cause much more stress then 2 gay parents who love each other and are raising happy healthy kids.

I come from straight parents. And I can go on and on and on with stories on how they nearly screwed up my life with their crappy parenting and all their personal issues that affected the family.

There is NOBODY that will ever convince me that gay parents are worse than straight parents. I do not see this in the world we live in. Nope!

[edit on February 24th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I expected more from a Super Mod. :shk:

Oh please. Nice try, but it just ain't gonna work. I'm just a member like everyone else. Perhaps you should respect that and treat me like one.

Attacking the source, yes I am. Without a doubt, but perhaps you don't know why? I am familiar already with NARTH and I am not about to be a party of reviewing the same old tired bunk that they produce consistently. Perhaps if you had a better source that isn't known for their purposeful anti-homosexual bias that did a study on the ill effects of homosexuals adopting children I would be more inclined to peruse it.

This is about as standard as looking at an article by Sorcha Faal and knowing that it is going to be junk.

That is how ignorance is denied these days, and justifiably so. Such is life. Nothing else for me to see here, moving on.

Peace out.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

“According to various studies containing testimonies from children of homosexual parents, most them of admit to suffering strong emotions, such as fear, anxiety, apprehension, shame and anger in trying to hide from their friends and relatives the homosexuality of their father or mother,” he continued.

so, if all these small minded arseholes kept their bigoted little opinions to themselves, there wouldn't be an issue.

strange, i figured that out without any need for an expensive study.

mind your own damn business.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

That was such transparent homophobic source material.

I'll bet I could find a source that said a preponderance of Catholics were pedophiles; especially in the priesthood.

Anyone with an agenda can find a wealth of material to prop up their stupid beliefs.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yes, the attorney DEFENDING the anti-gay legislation went to great lengths to keep science out of the debate. Read the whole thing: You also somehow managed to leave out a crucial point: "research indicates that homosexual behavior is widely disapproved by the majority of the U.S. population. Aware of the stigma of living with homosexually-behaving adults, school-aged children generally suffer stress associated with their shame, embarrassment, fears that others will discover their family member's homosexuality, fears of peer rejection, actual disruption of valued friendships, suffering name-calling or ostracism, and/or seeing their family member disapproved." In other words, the study concludes that homophobia, not homosexuality, is the cause of the children's suffering. No wonder the attorney defending the anti-gay legislation wanted to narrow the testimony.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Talk about programmed

Everyone desperately trying to sound so politically correct and to conform with what appears to be the majority opinion

Sure, homosexuals may be 'born that way'

But BABIES (future children) are NOT MADE THAT WAY

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join