It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Bouncing off the Walls!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
For a while I been feeling a overwhelming sense of boredom.

It almost feels as though through a lack of interest in what society has to offer I have not been a part of it for some time, it's as though it has little to offer me in terms of growth of my mind body and spirit. Do any of you feel the same?

Sadly I am not able to lie and convince myself that there are aspects of society that are fulfilling and enriching which are readily accessible to me.

Consequently I am in a prison cell which I don't believe is entirely of my own making.

I believe society has failed to live up to expectations in providing a growing individual all the nurture it needs to unfold and 'become'.

One obvious obstacle to growth is money, but I don't think this is entirely to blame. Of course money should not stop an individual from following their heart and mind, but it does.

What concerns me most is that I might not be alone, I might not be the only prisoner who needs more than society has to offer and has a limited means. I will not fall for the catch 22 of wealth and what one has to become to protect that wealth.

What concerns me even more is that society and all it's classes appear to be stagnating due to an inherent design flaw in society and the way it is educated, governed and from where and how it gains its ideologies. Lack of stuff happening or repetitiveness are evidence of stagnation in society, and I see this all around.
Trust me when I say this is dangerous and is like self hypnosis in a society which can spread globally if left unchecked or not tackled. And btw the saying 'the devil makes work of idle hands' has much truth to it, similarly an idle mind is not as happy as it could be if occupied with intent and purpose.

So do you see it? Do you see the ghost in the machine is a hypnotist working on us very slowly?

[edit on 24-2-2010 by pharaohmoan]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
itchy feet Eh??

the truism of 'idle hands are the tool of the devil' might be in-play

have you considered making visits to a hospital ward or an old folks home
and engage others who are 'trapped' in desperation with little way out...

just thinking out-loud,
thanks

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Us humans are creators, we are most fulfilled when creating something...anything. When we stop creating is when we get filled with a sense of anxiousness and boredom.

Not that you need to start building birdhouses or something, building could encompass many aspects, from building a new relationship, literally building something, or designing a new story for a book, etc...

Whenever I am in a spot in life where things are routine and mundane, I tend to get bored also..feeling like something isn't right. during my early 20s, I used to get anxiety attacks because of the monotony of life and felt the weeks, months, and years wizzing by unfulfilled. I had a good job, a attractive wife, 2 kids and a cat...My company was flying me around the world, but I still felt completely incomplete. It took me awhile to realize my general unhappiness was not anything I had or didn't have, it was the fact that I was no longer creating anything, be it stories, new understandings, even a hobby...

So ya...I suggest finding a outlet to do what we as humans desire to do most, create something...even if its a new religion, a neighborhood garden, a novel, or a new political system.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Get out and travel the world. You won't be bored then and you need relatively little money to do so.

How old are you by the way?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I feel the exact same way. Bored and at the same time anxious. I'm going to try to "open my 3rd eye" this weekend. I am hoping to see HOPE. I want to expand my thought processes, force off the blinders per say.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pharaohmoan

Angst! Me too at times. Must find a cure!

May I suggest taking your mind off yourself, and all that horrible things that are taking place? (I don't mean that in a bad way, we all get caught up in those subjects at times.). Just focus on something else, perhaps.

Turn off all news programs. Put on some cheerful music.
Then.....
Go buy an old rag of an old piece of furniture, strip it, repair it and refinish it. Use it, sell it, or give it away.
or....

Paint the bathroom.

Go buy a cool new camera, and go to a beautiful place and take pictures.
Buy frames for them, and make a grouping of your own photos for your walls.

Become a gourmet cook.
You could spend a day just shopping for cookbooks.

Does all this sound too superficial? I don't mean it too. I just know sometimes to get rid of "angst", I have to do something physical, and something I can then see the results from fairly quickly. The feeling of accomplishment can put a dent in Angst.

In the summer I just mow the lawn and swim laps.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pharaohmoan

You do not have to tell me twice. Consider yourself lucky that you feel this way. Where does your passion lay? Pursue that passion even in fleeting moments. Look around what interests you? Maybe your passion is waking other people up? Who knows but you. If you need any help figuring out your true passion I can help. I know the feeling you have. I've been unemployed for nearly a year and it doesn't get any easier. I keep thinking of maybe starting a business of some kind only to find the laws prevent a person without money from starting one. So I went back to school, where money is given. Except school is as boring as regular life, built around the same methodology. My passion is the concept of justice and unfortunately for me there are standards in place and Associations that control who is allowed to practice in the field of justice. Overcoming those obstacles without money is truly a difficult feat to accomplish.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I definitely know what you're talking about !

I find my self in a similar situation. I didn't find the exit. Yet !

Thanks for making it a topic
S&F th it immediately.

I already saw a few great options for me to try !

Thanks @ the post writers !

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
What we all collectively lack, popular or not, is truly a new frontier for the species. Without something to push for or towards, humanity seems to stagnate and all to often that 'stagnation' leads to the insane habit of us killing each other off.

Put us in space, leave the potential of that, (yes, Im going to say it) FINAL FRONTIER as a reality and we might just make it.

I once read somewhere that mankind at the end of the day has really only two ultimate futures: Back to the jungles or out to the stars. Over simplified maybe, but dead accurate.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I was feeling pretty low myself this week, having moved back to live with my parents in the countryside at the age of 31 (due to my illness) away from my friends who all live in London. I've been, going a bit stir crazy, so i decided to go for a long walk in the country.

On my walk a dear shot out right in front of me about 20 meters ahead, it was amazing, really cheered me up and the exercise was good too

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pharaohmoan
For a while I been feeling a overwhelming sense of boredom.

It almost feels as though through a lack of interest in what society has to offer I have not been a part of it for some time,

I fall in this category, by choice; personal as well as dictated.

That you're bouncing of the walls seems a troubling statement. I compensate with trips outside. Walks, sitting in the sun, especially being near moving water all seem to alleviate this state for me.

Just as a note, I feel no need for personal contact on an intimate level with society. As, their destructive modes of motive circulate in progressive lies to the face---and they are happy. yeah!

top topics

join