It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Baseball a Masonic Sport?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate
The challenge might be, come up with something that someone somewhere hasn't tied into Freemasonry.
Googling Freemason Ultimate Frisbee I got almost 8000 hits...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Well sure. A Frisbee is... round. Obviously drawn with a Masonic compass. By the way, the guy that invented the Frisbee just died. Probably a Mason.

[sp]

[edit on 2/24/10 by MrDesolate]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by Logarock

Yes, please try to get those photos online.

I will try. Printer wont scan. But you wont be disappointed.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

I appreciate the laugh (and I can see how old time Freemasons were also Clubhouse golfers), but the Baseball-Field connection may have merit, considering Baseballs founders were freemasons.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sky, yet again, you bring something that even makes us Masons go, "huh". I like the thread. I'm going to toss this around the old noodle for a bit.

Actually the G stands for something other than Gilgamesh. Plus the G as far as I've seen is used in only English/American Square and Compasses.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

That would be most awesome. I'm sure the Historian from my Lodge would Love to see them!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I'm more partial to Frisbee Golf (Disc Golf). Me and other Officers of the Lodge, along with some Brethren from Kappa Sigma play as often as we can, but that pesky thing called a job keeps getting in the way.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There is one problem with your hypothesis. Abner Doubleday did not really invent baseball. It is also likely that a freemason invented baseball.

Baseball is really a version of the game of rounders, which is played by girls in England. Thus, the inventor or inventors of baseball were likely girls.

The whole Abner Doubleday story came about because some company was running a baseball related promotion. They wanted baseball to appear virile and American, so the company spread the idea an American man named Abner Doubleday invented the game. Their promotion would have flopped if they spread the idea baseball was really an English girls game.

You can read this wikiarticle about Doubleday, which questions whether he truly invented baseball.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I read the Wiki article. Where does it say that he was a Freemason in the article?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by scooterstrats

And that wasnt a question for you hotpink. Not picking on you at all. But I've heard this before,and like you, cannot find a connection.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Basketball was also invented by a Freemason:

James Naismith

Not that Wikipedia is always the most accurate source, although it's often a good start to illustrate a point:

Olmec Basketball

First Smithsonian Olmec archeological research right around the time of the invention of modern basketball

(The Smithsonian is also Masonic)

[edit on 6-3-2010 by Tamahu]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I just decoded the Hanging Basket (By Francis Bacon).
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
There is one problem with your hypothesis. Abner Doubleday did not really invent baseball. It is also likely that a freemason invented baseball.

Baseball is really a version of the game of rounders, which is played by girls in England. Thus, the inventor or inventors of baseball were likely girls.

Im not saying Doubleday invented baseball, Im saying that freemasons were involved in its popularization. Furthermore "rounders" does not appear to have the Geometry that Baseball has.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by Skyfloating
What else comes to mind is 1st Base, 2nd Base 3rd Base corresponding to the 3 Degrees of regular Freemasonry, after which you become a Master Mason.

Would a home run be the much-discussed higher degree then?

Nice thread as usual Sky, very interesting and thought provoking.

A home run with the bases loaded is a "grand slam"

Winning a tournament gets you a "pennant"

Each hit can be either a "fair ball" or a "foul ball"

A fair ball that hits the ground and then goes outside of the field is a "ground rule" double

You could say that baseball is more like the Tyler swinging his sword

Each player gets about 4 at-bats, which could be 3 symbolic resurrections

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Marge:

"Why are you letting my husband die?"

Man in suit #1

"Death is a part of baseball"

Man in suit #2

"Yeah, the main part"

I'll always remember that Simpsons quote.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
One difference between baseball and Freemasonry: you can't get to 5th base in baseball.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
A Masonic symphony orchestra was performing Beethoven's Ninth. In the piece, there's a 20 minute passage where the bass players don't play. Rather than sit around that whole time, the bass section decided to sneak off to the tavern next door for some refreshment. After awhile and several drinks, one of them looked at his watch. "Hey! We need to get back!" he said.

"Relax," said another. "I thought we might need some extra time, so I tied the last few pages of the conductor's score together with a string I snagged from the violin section. It'll take awhile to get it untangled."

Later, they staggered back to the concert hall and took their proper places. About this time, a member of the audience noticed the conductor seemed nervous, and said as much to her companion.

"Naturally," said her date. "Don't you see? It's the bottom of the Ninth, the score is tied, and the basses are loaded."

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

I don't get it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I don't get it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

5th base within Freemasonry? What are you on about?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join