It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A way to time travel information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
If you split a photon creating a quantum entanglement scenario, kept them in a confined space in lab conditions, then hours/days/years laters forced a value to the spin of one of the split photons which was either + or - ... would it be possible to measure the opposite spin from the other split photon in the past/present and thereby receive information from the future.

just a crazy thought I had.

edit: just remember ... all you need is a yes/no .. 0 or 1 from the future to carry the most staggering information.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Not a smart man here but I can say No to the whole past part.. I mean secure lab or not you would have to have a place to send it with a science that could read it right...So maybe to the future then back to the present but not the past I am guessing

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
There's no other place to send it to ... it's the same place.
You decide that if in the future team A wins the superbowl you'll give one of the split photons a negative spin (which you'll have to do).

Knowing this in advance .. all you'd have to look for is a positive spin in the present to know the outcome. or vice versa.

edit: this seems so obvious to me ... I can't believe there are not some very well funded corporations / govts that already know this.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
maybe your on to something, especially with the theory that if A happens ill give the proton a Positive spin..therefore if one had a positive spin in the present you would know the outcome...right? this is all very confusing to me

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Well actually you'd be looking for the opposite... so a negative spin to the positive one you created in the future.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
So let's say they do this and in the future someone does give it a spin...

That means it would spin for all time periods including the day before they decided to spin it meaning they would be too busy trying to decipher a message that they sent to themselves to do the original spinning in the first place.

It's a paradox and an impossibility.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

I don't particularily like using Wikipedia, but there's some stuff there you've likely read already. Not much information on the information through time area of entanglement, if you do a Google run you'll find more discussions than theories. Some talk about how entanglement scenarios may lie outside normal space-time, or outside time completely.

By any chance was Mass Effect 2 part of the inspiration for this thought?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Hey Mr Jack, haven't played that yet but I've heard it's great.
No, this is just something I've thought about for some time.
I figured even if it is impossibly hard, the ability to send the tiniest bit of information through time, just a 1 or 0 would be mind blowing.

Some experiments Princeton ( I think ) did where the subjects physiology responded before the stimulus was provided seemed to prove some sort of time travelling ability is out there. Can't find it for the life of me now though.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

I'm not going to give a Yes / No for your particular scenario but try a search for Retrocausality

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
yes that is possible and has been demonstrated with the double slit experiment.

In one of the scenarios they would have both slits open, after the photon travels through the slits, one of the slits is closed but before the photon hits the film. the pattern, of photons, on the film is that of having one slit open (the one that remained open).

top topics

join