It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google bosses convicted in Italy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
This is a very strange case, one that in one way I agree with, I hate bullying and I hate the fact it was published online for all to see.

There cant be anything worse for the child or the parents of that child.

But to convict the Google management over this is troubling, so basically Google and You Tube will now batten down the hatches so as not to create anymore of these costly errors, and so all videos will be scanned first.

Google bosses convicted in italy

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Google's Official Reply

In late 2006, students at a school in Turin, Italy filmed and then uploaded a video to Google Video that showed them bullying an autistic schoolmate. The video was totally reprehensible and we took it down within hours of being notified by the Italian police.

...public prosecutor in Milan decided to indict four Google employees —David Drummond, Arvind Desikan, Peter Fleischer and George Reyes (who left the company in 2008). The charges brought against them were criminal defamation and a failure to comply with the Italian privacy code.

...a judge in Milan today convicted 3 of the 4 defendants — David Drummond, Peter Fleischer and George Reyes — for failure to comply with the Italian privacy code. All 4 were found not guilty of criminal defamation. In essence this ruling means that employees of hosting platforms like Google Video are criminally responsible for content that users upload.

It attacks the very principles of freedom on which the Internet is built.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by multichild

This is quite ridiculous IMO...

"If individuals like myself and my Google colleagues who had nothing to do with the harassing incident, its filming or its uploading onto Google Video can be held criminally liable solely by virtue of our position at Google, every employee of any internet hosting service faces similar liability," he added.
That's absolutely right...they executives did not break the law in any way...and they should not be held liable for the video getting onto Google video...this is quite absurd really...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
WTF?!!!

Ok, S+F

This is one of the most important battles of all.

Crap we are losing the internet as we speak.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
[wrong google thread]

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Karlhungis]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is why I love living in a poor (officially) country. No political correctness. Common sense still generally prevails. Most people can't afford to sue (or have internet for that matter.)
It's paradise!

Google will have to start screening videos from now on. Alright. I'll start boycotting Italian goods (like what?
) The sooner Europe becomes poor (officially), the better.

[edit on 2/24/2010 by eldard]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
So, which is it?

Google, The Independent and Sky News says the bullied boy was autistic.

The BBC, Telegraph and Times Online says he had Down's Syndrome.

Conflicting reports.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
If you operate in a country where there are stricter laws to abide by then you must learn them and abide by them when you do business in their country. Just like foreign companies are liable to American law when they operate in the US no matter how retarded the law is, the same applies for American companies operating overseas... American companies are not god, American companies are not immune to international, national or local laws. GET OVER IT...

Be informed before doing business outside your country...

Magnum

[edit on 10/2/24 by Magnum007]

top topics

join