It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: In key states, Public Option far more popular than Senate Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
www.michaelmoore.com...

A batch of state polls by the non-partisan Research 2000 shows that in multiple states represented by key Dem Senators who will have to decide whether to support reconciliation, the public option polls far better than the Senate bill does, often by lopsided margins.

Here’s a rundown, sent over by the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which commissioned the polls:

* In Nevada, only 34% support the Senate bill, while 56% support the public option.

* In Illinois, only 37% support the Senate bill, while 68% support the public option.

* In Washington State, only 38% support the Senate bill, while 65% support the public option.

* In Missouri, only 33% support the Senate bill, while 57% support the public option.

* In Virginia, only 36% support the Senate bill, while 61% support the public option.

* In Iowa, only 35% support the Senate bill, while 62% support the public option.

*In Minnesota, only 35% support the Senate bill, while 62% support the public option.

* In Colorado, only 32% support the Senate bill, while 58% support the public option.

Now I know this is not exactly the best website to get non-biased info from but these polls seem pretty solid and well they speak for themselves.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
You need to be able to see the exact questions asked and how many people were polled.

I notice the states in question are fairly liberal as well.

That said, even if the public DID support the public option OR the senate bill, that doesn't make it right.

Also, if people are not given a choice of 'neither' - the poll is fairly pointless.

I don't know if that option was given or not.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This doesn't look right either:

In Washington State, only 38% support the Senate bill, while 65% support the public option.

38 + 65 = 103% last time I checked.

How can 103% of people vote for anything?

Sounds like a poll that was taken in North Korea.

103% approval rating for Kim Jong!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Don't worry, Mnemeth, us commies will make sure that our fascist stepping stone of a public option gets implemented.

Just a matter of time...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You probably should post how the question is worded, makes a major difference in the outcome, not even going to make much of a comment on the source, michael moore holds up cuba as a valid example of government run health care, enough said on that subject

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well where I live shooting peoples grandmothers would poll sllightly higher than the Senate version of healthcare "reform". So I am not so sure it means much.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

This poll has been discredited. They asked the questions absent any information about what the cost of program would be. When the questions were asked in a qualitative manner and the costs quantified, the support for the public option drops like a stone.

Be wary of polls on this topic. Both sides will manipulate the data.

I also would not believe anything on a Michael Moore website other than perhaps a good recipe for any of the 10,000 calorie meals that whale has jammed down his gullet in the past week

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

***Found that poll data, see post below....sleepy research***

I am in agreement with your assessment. Michael Moore states he received the information from this site [boldprogressives.org]: Link

Hardly an independent source and just as I wouldn't accept or trust a poll from say, Newsmax.com. Also, after digging around on the 'source' site, I was unable to find the poll; this leads me to believe the numbers were extrapolated from various polls to make up a poll that would support their stance.

ATS posters should really stop and think before posting sometimes - NOTE:This isn't aimed directly at the OP, just in general as we see a lot of random, non-fact based items being pushed as facts in regards to the Health Care issue.

Post-Script:
On another note, are those that lean towards supporting the Public Option or this Health Care proposal be courageous enough to discredit this source as you would a right leaning source? Just wondering....

[edit on 24-2-2010 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Gee, who wants to bet the poll has something like, I don't know, a 3% margin of error? Maybe you should learn a little bit about scientific polling before you start bashing it?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buttking

The margin has nothing to do with the point he is making. The questions are by definition intrepretative and lacking context. A scientific poll has questions that can be statistically measured to indicate a quantitative liklihood.

Question - "are you in favor of the government getting you a porsche 911 turbo?"
Answer - "absoluely"

Question - "are you in favor of the government getting you a porsche 911 turbo? We're going to send you the $150K bill"
Answer - "no way"

see the difference?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

EDIT: Found it...apparently late night research is not my forte!

Poll Data

Question asked:

What would make you more likely to vote for Democrats in the 2010 elections: If they pass health care reform that includes a public health insurance option but gets zero Republican votes OR if they pass health care reform without a public option but with some Republican votes?

Huge Note: This was a partisan poll. No registered Republicans(or they didn't post their numbers) were asked. Only Obama voters (what ever that means...) or independents were involved.

How is that for overwhelming support. Hell this is like a poll on abortion asking Republican Catholics or Independent voters if they would approve of a ban.....bet you can figure out where that poll would lead you.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

If reference to your 3% margin comment...this doesn't look like a scientific poll at all. There reporting is shoddy and highly opaque.

Go look at a Pew Poll than the poll I posted a link to. A pew poll is going to tell you the demographics, the margin of error, the places, how it was conducted, etc.

For reference, take a look at this other poll they did: Link. This was conducted scientifically, unlike the one posted above.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

EDIT: Found it...apparently late night research is not my forte!

Poll Data

Question asked:

What would make you more likely to vote for Democrats in the 2010 elections: If they pass health care reform that includes a public health insurance option but gets zero Republican votes OR if they pass health care reform without a public option but with some Republican votes?

Huge Note: This was a partisan poll. No registered Republicans(or they didn't post their numbers) were asked. Only Obama voters (what ever that means...) or independents were involved.

How is that for overwhelming support. Hell this is like a poll on abortion asking Republican Catholics or Independent voters if they would approve of a ban.....bet you can figure out where that poll would lead you.

The assumption that this was a partisan poll is flat out wrong.

"Those interviewed were selected by the random variation of the last four digits of telephone numbers."

Unless the pollsters found a correlation between the last 4 digits of someone's phone number and their party affiliation, which I kind of doubt. The table on the site is set up to show "All" voters(i.e. everyone polled, regardless of their political affiliation, because the people polled were picked randomly based on the last 4 digits of their phone numbers, not pulled randomly out of bins that say "Independent" or "Obama voters" on them.) because they polled people of all party affiliations, because they chose them randomly. The poll isn't any more biased than the natural distribution of people of various political leanings in the areas polled. Which by the way, I know when I think "liberal hot spots" Nevada, Missouri, Iowa, Colorado, Illinois, etc are the first states I think of. As a matter of fact, the only state listed that I would consider to really be all that liberal is Washington, which, is still less liberal than Oregon or California..

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Did you not review any of the information in the very link you posted?

"The Research 2000 Polls for NV, IL, WA, MO, VA, IA, MN, and CO were conducted for the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, Democracy for America and Credo Action. A total of 600 likely general election voters in 2010 were interviewed in each state by telephone.

Those interviewed were selected by the random variation of the last four digits of telephone numbers. A cross-section of exchanges was utilized in order to ensure an accurate reflection of each state. Quotas were assigned to reflect the voter registration of distribution by county.

The margin of error is 4%."

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

You are looking at the States as a whole. What counties were the numbers randomly pulled from? This is not a transparent poll. Just as I wouldn't believe a poll done from a far-right site or group, this one is skewed to fit the agenda, not to represent the Public as a whole.

I would bet that I could get a voter registration map of counties within the listed States where I could poll and get the exact opposite of this poll.

top topics

join