It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving birth to a kidney stone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Some women say that men will never know the pain of childbirth.
Some women say that kidney stones are worse.
I've never had a child (gender prohibits it) but I've had stones.

I was on the gurney in the E/R at one point and noted that they had shot me full of enough dilaudid and morphine to keep my entire state stoned for a week, yet I was begging for the merciful release of death.

The hospital folks were paying attention and we decided on something that helped last time: toradol.
If I ever meet the people who came up with toradol, I'll kiss their feet in public. The pain was mostly gone before the needle came to rest. [If I ever meet Bill Gates, the gloves are on.]

I was most impressed when they explained to me that dilaudid is at least twice as potent as morphine and neither worked, yet toradol is similar to ibuprofen and worked perfectly, as well as immediately.

I walked out of the E/R looking vaguely human, according to my wife, which is a default state for me. I define bliss, at this moment, as literally feeling no pain.

STRANGE BUT TRUE:

If you are properly medicated, regardless of medication, your pain will be relieved. You will not get stoned. In fact, more medicine than this (or giving pain meds to someone without pain) can cause nausea and sickness.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You need to man up .

lol

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
OK, I am one to speak from experience. I have passed 2 to 3 stones per month for the last year and a half.

I don't enjoy the pain...

Toradol IN IV FORM is a miracle. When I go to the hospital I am given morphine and toradol and it works fine. Unless there are complications though, I just go through it at home with morphine pills and the like. Now toradol also comes in pill form.

Thank God that morphine works for me as the pill form of toradol is very very hard on your stomach. At the time you think that you would take anything to get rid of the pain of the kidney stones but believe me, toradol can rip up your guts something fierce.

But intravenously it is a miracle and more and more paramedics are starting to stock it in the cities as it does such a great job.

Hopefully they can somehow come up with a way to get rid of the side effect when taking it in pill form as it is not a narcotic, and I seem to spend half my life getting off morphine and the like and the other half on. I refuse to get hooked on the painkillers so I am always in a constant struggle.

But whenever someone says they have a kidney stone, believe me when I tell you, I feel your pain..

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Since the thread is here, I would also like to clear up a lot of misconceptions regarding kidney stones.

Stones come in all sizes from almost non existent to over a centimeter around. This is what I deal with so can only speak for myself here.

The pain does not come from the stone itself moving down the urethra. Although sometimes my urine looks black as it is blood from the kidney, this only occurs when the stone is coming out of the kidney. (It also is painless but I know that a big one is about to come down).

The pain comes when the stone blocks the urethra and the kidney is forced to shut down. It swells up and this is what causes the majority of the pain. It doesn't matter if the stone is the size of a grain of rice, or a centimeter around. Once that tube is blocked, you will have pain, and for the most part, they all hurt equally. It could just be that the pain is so intense that I can't differentiate though.

Once the stone moves to the bladder, you are home free. It can sit in the bladder for years or just come out when you pee. And I can tell you, I have never had one bit of pain peeing them out. It is just a millisecond of pressure and out it comes. Many men figure that this is when it hurts but for me, it never has.

Now if both kidney's release a stone at the same time and both tubes get blocked, you only have a very short time to get them out as when both kidneys shut down, you start to swell up and death is imminent. This is what happened to me a couple of weeks ago for the first time and it is not pleasant.

And for those that say they must be able to do something. Well in this part of the country, the only thing the urologist will say is "drink more water". That's right, drink more. You can imagine the respect I have for some of the doctors here, they would rather book for a procedure as it is a great deal of money for them rather than help you. But everyone has their cross I guess, and this is mine.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
OK, I am one to speak from experience. I have passed 2 to 3 stones per month for the last year and a half.

You are a man among men.
Once every few years is way too much for me.

Is there anything that can help you not form as many?

Thanks for the info, btw.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
You need to man up .

THAT's funny.

Thanks!

top topics

join