It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes infants seem so "cute" to us?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

I'm with you. I have 4 kids and have always found babys to be ugly (my kids were beautiful though, LOL). Seriously, babys have misshapen heads, patchy hair, drool and are ugly.

I think the "idea" of an infant is beautiful, but the actual entity is not.

Anybody who tells you that they have not gone to see a friends baby who happens to be particularily ugly, far more ugly than the average baby and has said "Oh what a beautiful baby" and knew they were lying is a liar.

You say babys are beautiful because that is what you are expectedto say in this society

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Oh, and apparently this effect isn't limited to just mammals or birds, but we also tend be susceptible to this effect when similar traits are expressed in baby elder gods like lil' Cthulhu who are cute and adorable even as they're devouring our souls.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Lasheic]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Yeah I've been to baby showers and all and have to smile and say, "She/He is just so cute! I'm lying, they are all potato heads.

Just so I'm not crucified I did for the most part raise my niece and nephew from babies even though that was not the intention in the beginning. I wouldn't want to do it again though. I do love them very much.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I don't know the physiological or psychological reason except for what I can think of. They are innocent, cute, pure and hope. They make noises (minus wailing of course) that are pleasing. They are the epitome of a species because of the newness they bring.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Do you realize that all of us were infants once, regardless of our crimes and mistakes?

Even mass murders were infants and they were cute to boot!

Oh I almost forgot! Hitler was cute too!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I thought all my kids looked like wrinkled old men when they were born, even my daughter.

Despite some of the time they made me want to smother them when they cried, the moments they made me laugh made it all worth it.

Honestly, I used to have to leave the room and laugh a few times before I could scold them for something they did wrong. Like the time oatmeal was flung about so badly, it even landed on the ceiling fan while in motion. My set of twins pulled that one off.

The shear joy of seeing your child wake up with a smile on their face, is something priceless, and will even get you through bad days.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join