It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is this on the sub's back?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
From CNN's story

us.cnn.com...

I have not seen this type of pic before.. is this a special ops delivery system?

anyone?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It looks like a version of the Advanced SEAL Delivery System.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Looks like you're correct. Nothing to be worried about, then.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
it does look similar.... could there be 2?
also the WIKI link says

"The program was abandoned after the only prototype example of the class was damaged beyond economic repair in an accidental fire."

We don't know what boat that is or when the pic was taken... looks like a getty image

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perfect stranger
I have not seen this type of pic before.. is this a special ops delivery system?

It is a SEAL Delivery Vehicle

en.wikipedia.org...
www.navy.mil...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yeah, it looks like a SEAL delivery system. But it also looks like the Japanese submarines with the kamikaze airplanes inside the sub

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Perfect stranger

its a pod that allows the sub to stay underwater and release Navy Seals for covert operations and also pick them up, it functions basically the same as a torpedo launch tube, before they launch they flood the tube with water to equalize the pressure and when they re-enter the tube its filled with water so the hatch can be opened then they pressurize it forcing the water out then the Seals can open the main hatch going into the sub completing there mission in silently and without a trace. Those Navy Seals are pretty sneaky no doubt they are the most deadly human weapon on this planet, would hate to be on there hit list.

I have a good friend of mine that is a Navy Seal and when we were kids growing up he was always kind of nerdy in school getting picked on by others he said that helped fuel his fire and wanting to become a highly trained badass. People don't pick on him anymore that much I know for a fact. People can be so cruel to others that are different than themselves, I'm glad he used this to motivate himself to be something that most people thought he could never be.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Captain Reynolds

theres nothing to worry about here guys, especially since its photographed..how many black ops ships are photographed nowadays..or ever haha

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I think I have it

www.specialoperations.com...

The USS Kamehameha (SSBN-642) underway, fitted with two Dry Dock Shelters (DDS)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
here's another angle on USS Dallas SSN- 700

navsource.org...

Looks like we have dry deck shelters that can house " stuff"

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

It is obviously the womens room!

Complete with extra amenities.

Taken from article:

"Secretary of Defense Robert Gates has notified Congress of plans to allow women to serve aboard submarines, a Defense Department official said Tuesday".

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
now that made my day!!

Indeed that was "just of the story" Now we know!!!!! LOL

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlternateEnding

It is obviously the womens room!

Complete with extra amenities.

Taken from article:

"Secretary of Defense Robert Gates has notified Congress of plans to allow women to serve aboard submarines, a Defense Department official said Tuesday".

It said it's starting with SSBNs. I toured the USS Michigan once, it did not feel like a submarine as I know them, it felt spacious like a surface ship. The enlisted crew had better quarters than most of the officers of an SSN. I can't see this working on the smaller boats.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobsauce13
But it also looks like the Japanese submarines with the kamikaze airplanes inside the sub

You mean the I-400 class
en.wikipedia.org...'

They were not kamikaze airplanes, there was a plan to use them as kamikaze to block the Panama canal, but the pilots were against it.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Its not the The USS Kamehameha (SSBN-642) or the USS Dallas SSN- 700

but it is a Dry Dock Shelter on a sub with the hull number starting with 72*

That means its one of 4 subs.
* USS Ohio (SSGN-726)
* USS Michigan (SSGN-727)
* USS Florida (SSGN-728)
* USS Georgia (SSGN-729)

And the little sub is a SEAL Delivery Vehicle [SDV]
But not a Advanced SEAL Delivery System sub as they do not use the Dry Dock Shelter.(to big)
www.news.navy.mil...
www.globalsecurity.org...

www.news.navy.mil...

Keep guessing

[edit on 25-2-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
yes this is nothing to worry about. its just a tactical way to insert Special forces without alert. its in the one tf141 oil rig mission in modern warfare 2 also.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
These as stated are called dry deck shelters.

I saw some of these being constructed years ago and back then they were built for the olde class boomers like the USS Kamehameha. It was some time before I saw a photo of one on the back of one of these boats.

They look like they have been modified or built anew in more streamlined manner...than the ones I recall from years ago.

I watched as the high pressure bulkhead valves were mounted on the inside of these shelters and then carefully welded to the pressure hulls. That is when I knew for what these were intended. That and the guard rails..bumpers inside were a give away. It is a mobile small boat parking garage...with accessories...like heat, electricity, and a pressure chamber. Very necessary for some of this kind of work.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

I'm kinda curious how that is going to work...Gonna have to ask my bro, he's a non-com on a trident boat, but then again with all that he tells me, i might be better off asking a rock. Serving on a fast-attack myself, I don't see how implementing co-ed conditions on the smaller boat would work either. Not saying I'm against anything like this happening, just never thought I would see them initiate something like this. Good luck to all those gal's out there that wanna be part of the silent service. 30 days without sunlight and living in a tube that doesn't enjoy being close to the surface on sea state 4 or 5 conditions is not the life for everyone.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by saabster5
30 days without sunlight and living in a tube that doesn't enjoy being close to the surface on sea state 4 or 5 conditions is not the life for everyone.

We caught the edge of a Typhoon once. I couldn't wait to dive. I was on the helm and heavy sheets of water were coming down from the bridge. It was the only time I remember being really freaked out. After we submerged, it was still hellacious. 20 degree rolls at a depth of ~ 200 feet. I got sick as a dog. When I was the messenger, I had to roll into my rack for a minute to not barf.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden

Originally posted by saabster5
30 days without sunlight and living in a tube that doesn't enjoy being close to the surface on sea state 4 or 5 conditions is not the life for everyone.

We caught the edge of a Typhoon once. I couldn't wait to dive. I was on the helm and heavy sheets of water were coming down from the bridge. It was the only time I remember being really freaked out. After we submerged, it was still hellacious. 20 degree rolls at a depth of ~ 200 feet. I got sick as a dog. When I was the messenger, I had to roll into my rack for a minute to not barf.

200 feet down and still rolling...now that is rough seas.
Most round hull boats dont run for squat on the surface...in good weather..they run better submerged..but 200 feet and still rolling...that is rough water Schaden.

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join