It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enormous Magnetic Filament on the Sun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Enormous Magnetic Filament on the Sun

wyckynews.com.au

The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) is tracking an enormous magnetic filament on the sun. It stretches more than one million kilometers from end to end, which makes it an easy target for backyard solar telescopes.

Scary, terrifying stuff going on up there. This is called a "Hyder Flare" and it represents a massive surge of magnetic field energy that bursts into an arc on the surface. They are extremely rare ... this one is the most colossal ever recorded. It just came out of nowhere. The Sun has some very weird things going on in the interior. It looks like it is getting ready
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
spaceweather.com
www.accuweather.com
vault-co.blogspot.com

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
After a thorough search, I didn't see where this is posted. I apologize if it is. I thought it quite interesting that after such a quient time, the sun roars mightily.

I can only imagine what will happen with beauty of the northern lights. In one article it reads "There is not a great deal known about Hyder Flare’s as they are a rare phenomenon. Last one occured September 12th 2000 causing a CME resulting in a minor geometric storm."

What do you think?

wyckynews.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I did say before in another thread that this is a great opportunity for all our backyard astrophotographers. The sun is putting on a display for them and there should be impressive results.
There is no guarantee the filament will collapse in and cause the hyder flare but if it does it should be extremely spectacular.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

No doubt about it. I wish I had the equipment myself. There's also no telling when it might collapse. Could be weeks, months, maybe longer.

From Wikipedia
A typical prominence extends over many thousands of kilometers; the largest observed by SOHO was seen in 1997 and was some 350,000 km (216,000 miles) long [1] - some 28 times the diameter of the Earth. The mass contained within a prominence is typically of the order of 100 billion tonnes of material.

Ok, if that was the size of the one in 1997, this current filament extends more than 620,000 miles across. This is quite a large fellow though.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I believe there's another thread covering this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting perspective though!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Woops - sorry didn't see it. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
But this thread is news, maybe it can stay.
At least let it stay until all the doom merchants pop in.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Doom Merchants...Eh? How much is Doom going for these day's? Also, been looking into a large Doom purchase with no payments due till January 2013, any idea where I can find a deal like that?

Seriously though, good thread, and believe it should stay, if for nothing else than to give a different perspective on this unique formation.... staying tuned

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gutterpus

Magnificent! This is our planetary logos speaking to Earth and to us. So many geometric codes are being unleashed, our cellular structure is being called to wake up.

Keep an eye on the sun, it is the conductor of this symphony called life.

It's no wonder the ancients worshipped our sun!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hey thanks guys. I appreciate your support. Still searching for more news articles and will update when I find them.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Lol, there goes one now, blink and you will miss it.

But yeah like i said, hopefully some of the ATS astro boys cn get some good images, if of course its the type of thing they are interested.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Blujay - I can certainly appreciate what you say. No doubt our cosmos communicates. It's just us little folks here on Earth are in between their hot breath of conversations. It should be interesting to say the least.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Gutterpus]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I misspelled earth. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

That's what the "edit" button is for.

But you did it again. Earth should be capitalized.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You are so right Phage. Still a newbie and learning. Will try better next time. BTW: you are my HERO.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My complete lack of understanding about natural solar activity makes this topic scare the bajeezus out of me.

so...should I stock up on sunscreen, get right with God, or simply ignore it as it probably wont fry up the world...

-starts digging a deep hole-

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

It's probably nothing to worry about, but I'm no expert either. I say you do all of the above. Can't hurt, right?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Haha that's what i thought when i first heard about this a bit scary but after been in the other thread you get the feeling its not that bad.
But its nice to watch and see what happens like me never seen one so i can say i have and this is what happens hopefully a nice show in a good safe way.S+F good thread.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

R.A. Heinlein

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

more phage

new topics

top topics