It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Determing Your Learning Style: Must Read for Students and Parents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS.

I'd like to share some information about learning styles that I find fascinating and crucial when teaching students.

Many people recognize that each person prefers different learning styles and techniques. Learning styles group common ways that people learn. Everyone has a mix of learning styles. Some people may find that they have a dominant style of learning, with far less use of the other styles. Others may find that they use different styles in different circumstances. There is no right mix. Nor are your styles fixed. You can develop ability in less dominant styles, as well as further develop styles that you already use well.

source

Why is this information important? Because traditionally, schools used linguistic and visually teaching methods. Which is fine and dandy if you happen to prefer learning this way, but not so great if you learn in a different way. Many schools still rely on classroom and book-based teaching, much repetition, and pressured exams for reinforcement and review. A result is that we often label those who use these learning styles and techniques as “bright.” Those who use less favored learning styles often find themselves in lower classes, with various not-so-complimentary labels and sometimes lower quality teaching. This can create positive and negative spirals that reinforce the belief that one is “smart” or “dumb.”

So, what are the different types of learning styles?

1. Visual/Spatial These learners prefer to "see" materiAural via pictures, images, or spatial understanding. Example: powerpoints with graphics and illustrations.

2. Auditory/Musical These learners gain information best through sound or through music.

3. Verbal/Linguistic These folks prefer using words, rather verbally or written. Think of your typical classroom lecture, a verbal learner can understand it quite easily.

4. Physical/Kinesthetic These students prefer to use bodily movements or touch.

5. Logical/Mathematical These students use logic and reasoning to best learn.

6. Social/Interpersonal Prefer to learn in groups or work with partners.

7. Solitary/Intrapersonal Prefer to work alone, solitary.

Now as you read this list you're probably connecting with at least two, possibly more of the above learning styles. That's quite common. And it does change over time. For myself, in school I was a verbal and musical learner...today I would add solitary as well.

Here is an online self-assessment tool you can use to help determine your primary learning style link to test

Now, why is it important to know your preferred learning styles? Well, to put it simply, if you want to increase your learning potential then the material needs to be presented to you in your best learning style. Reading chapters out of a history book or copying notes on the board doesn't cut it for everyone, and far too often these kids fall behind, get labelled "learning disabled," etc.

Once you determine your primary learning style, here are some suggestions to maximize your learning. source

Visual Learners:
•use visual materials such as pictures, charts, maps, graphs, etc.
•have a clear view of your teachers when they are speaking so you can see their body language and facial expression
•use colour to highlight important points in text
•take notes or ask your teacher to provide handouts
•illustrate your ideas as a picture or brainstorming bubble before writing them down
•write a story and illustrate it
•use multi-media (e.g. computers, videos, and filmstrips)
•study in a quiet place away from verbal disturbances
•read illustrated books
•visualize information as a picture to aid memorization

Auditory Learners:
•participate in class discussions/debates
•make speeches and presentations
•use a tape recorder during lectures instead of taking notes
•read text out aloud
•create musical jingles to aid memorization
•create mnemonics to aid memorization
•discuss your ideas verbally
•dictate to someone while they write down your thoughts
•use verbal analogies, and story telling to demonstrate your point

Tactile/Kinesthetic Learners
•take frequent study breaks
•move around to learn new things (e.g. read while on an exercise bike, mold a piece of clay to learn a new concept)
•work at a standing position
•chew gum while studying
•use bright colors to highlight reading material
•dress up your work space with posters
•if you wish, listen to music while you study
•skim through reading material to get a rough idea what it is about before settling down to read it in detail.

These are just some suggestions that can help you utilize what you've found out about your learning style.

At the beginning of every school year, I give my students AND their parents a similar learning style quiz because its valuable information. HAve your child take the quiz, then discuss the findings with his/her teacher. This is not a brand-new concept, most teachers are familiar with it but not necessarily targeting all learning styles. Hopefully this will help your child become more successful in school.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I know people have different learning styles. I can see how an elementary school teacher might find it useful to employ different teaching techniques so students with different learning styles can learn basics like the 3 R's.

When it comes to older students, the point of education is not to learn skills like reading and arithmetic, but to learn how to learn. Most of us do not remember what we learned in High School or college. We do not use trigonometry theorems or knowledge of ancient history in our daily lives.

We do, however, need to use the skills we learned in high school and college, namely the skill of knowing how to learn. In this regard, students in high school and college are being done a disservice if they are being taught with "unconventional" models. When these students hit the work force, they will need to continually educate themselves to keep abreast of developments in their field using conventional learning methods.

The work force is not going to provide them with learning tools that fit "unconventional" models. Workers usually learn by reading books, manuals, trade publications, and other literature. They also learn by attending seminars or conferences which are largely conducted like traditional class lectures. Few, if any, workers are going to have the benefit of music, cartoons, or any other "unconventional" aid that is going to suit their unique learning style.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

We do, however, need to use the skills we learned in high school and college, namely the skill of knowing how to learn. In this regard, students in high school and college are being done a disservice if they are being taught with "unconventional" models. When these students hit the work force, they will need to continually educate themselves to keep abreast of developments in their field using conventional learning methods.
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Excellent point.

You are right, the different learning styles are mainly used in the elementary grades. Hopefully by the time they are in the higher grades they have gained a love of learning (or at least an understanding of why its necessary).

Thanks for your contribution!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm bumping this thread because I hope more people can benefit from the information.

To add a little more info.....

The best things parents can do to help their children succeed in school is to read, read, read to them. Each day, every day. Start when the child is a baby.....and continue until they take over on their own. This might happen at age 8, might happen at age 12.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Glad you bumped this as I missed it the first time around. My son got labeled learning disabled and they wanted to put him on Ritalin as well. I fought to even get him tested and his IQ was higher than his teacher's.

His learning style is not well suited for sitting and listening to powerpoint presentations. Once we got that cleared up, he's been doing fine in school.

Star for you.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Glad you bumped this as I missed it the first time around. My son got labeled learning disabled and they wanted to put him on Ritalin as well. I fought to even get him tested and his IQ was higher than his teacher's.
reply to post by whitewave

It happens far too often.
Teachers are so stressed, and behavior problems are so rampant. We want the kids to sit down, shut up, listen, get it the first time, regurgitate. I'm most certainly guilty of this... especially when there are a lot of stressers in the classroom.
But we have to keep the child in mind. We can't expect a child to act like an adult. Yet we do.
Its frustrating, to be honest.

I'm so glad things are working out for your son. I wonder how many other "mislabeled" children out there we have failed....

new topics

top topics

join