It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All The Same Galaxy - Ad Infinitum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I was recently looking at a picture (provided by Silicis n Volvo HERE) that The Hubble took of that black spot (about 2/3rds of the way down) that produced seemingly endless galaxies ("over 10,000") in it because they allowed 4 months of light to hit the collector.

I suppose this is somewhat in direct reply to that thread, yet also worthy, IMHO, of its own thread. Again, thanks Silicis. Star and Flag bud.

Anyway, that picture suddenly made me think that there must be a reason for infinity in the visual spectrum (and probably every spectrum). I have a feeling that if they took a picture of a black spot on that picture of the black spot they'd come up with another picture full of 10,000 galaxies, add infinity.

And why, in this seemingly fractal Universe, wouldn't there be a reason? There must be.

Here's my idea: Maybe the reason is that the differences we see in galaxies is simply due to the fact that they are multiple dimensions or parallel time lines, in which every infinite possibility is being played out, in our galaxy, in real-time and before our eyes. In other words, maybe there's an equal amount of 'you's' being played out in 50% of the galaxies (or time lines) we see out there (allowing for 50% possibility of not being [the balance]). Maybe it's the same galaxy being affected by infinite happenstance.

Wouldn't this account for the very thought of the infinite size of the universe. Wouldn't this account for why it's called a 'uni'verse, instead of multiverse in the first place (because it's all the same galaxy)?

The differences in the way galaxies look would simply account for different events happening along different time lines making certain aesthetic changes highly evident from only the observer's (ours) point of view.

Perhaps it's been possible to see the 4th dimension all along (in the stars), but because our perspectives are so narrowly skewed, we have been incapable of acknowledging the thought of it.

Maybe there is only one galaxy being played out infinitely, and maybe the proof has been in plain sight all along, but so far out of our perspectives that we were unable to understand it.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Are we infinitely looking at ourselves, and are an infinite number of ourselves looking back at us?

[edit on 23-2-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think that light can bend. If that is true, it could be that we are seeing the same things at the same time from different periods of time, but Im sure any astronomer would tell us thats asinine, but who knows.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Yeah. Well, it just hit me all at once.

Had to get it down.

I know it's a completely assinine precept, but in a universe of infinite possibility, I'm sure it is afforded membership somehow.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
That is such a cool picture. Puts everything into perspective.

But on your thoughts, let's see. I also believe that every single possibility that has ever occurred, is somewhere out there being played out. My mind hurts thinking about this. But it is definitely worth thinking about.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Are you saying that all the other galaxies we see actually started out as "clones" of ours but look different because subtle changes caused them to play out different events and there are an infinite number with evey possible outcome as with the multiverse theory?

It's a little crazy but certainly food for thought! Thumbs up for lateral thinking. Flag too.

Wheather you are "right" or "wrong" or "sane" or "insane" is irrelevant. Thinking for yourself is the key.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by OZtracized]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Yeah, ya pretty much got it.

Our dimension is our galaxy, whereas all of the infinite 'other' dimensions are the other galaxies we see - and are able to take pictures of (visual proof) - in the sky.

Corny, I know. And I have no idea why it hit me so hard.

I've just always wondered how an infinity could be possible, and this seems to explain it, at least to me...at least until we become a multi-galaxy-traveling species (eternal dimensional beings).

Man, this is way too deep a distraction. :/

EDIT: Oh! On the lateral thinking part...I blame ATS almost as much as my wife! Heethans!

[edit on 26-2-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
I think that light can bend. If that is true, it could be that we are seeing the same things at the same time from different periods of time, but Im sure any astronomer would tell us thats asinine, but who knows.

Light does indeed bend due to gravity. this is called gravitational lensing. because of this, we can see stars directly behind the sun during solar eclipses. Gravitational Lensing

top topics

join