It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Boehner Is Now Upset That The Health Care Bill Isn't Long Enough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
huffingtonpost.com

Way back in October of 2009, John Boehner was often seen trooping from photo op to photo op with the House health care reform bill, complaining that it was way too long to read:

He so loved toting that thing around! In actuality, if you were to eliminate the non-substantive parts of that bill and allow for Congress's unique typesetting style, the bill was no longer than J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", a book that small children typically prove able to read over a weekend.

Now, the White House has offered up their own health care proposal which, in the form in which it was distributed, is only 11 pages -- which is less than the average Highlights magazine, which small children typically prove able to read whilst waiting for their appointments with the dental hygienist. Naturally, now the bill is so short that he cannot wield it as a prop, to bang on at lecterns, endlessly.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just in case anybody was under the impression that we have grown-ups in the House (and Senate) here is a reminder of the food-fight that passes for our legislative process.

I'm sure if Congress rewrote the health care bill to Mr. Boehner's exact specifications it would still be no good according to him.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Who's to read this bill anyway? They might as well just stop writing the laws and just put into law whatever and whenever they think.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I could write a one page bill that says all blacks should be imprisoned.

Doesn't mean the bill is not a crime against humanity.

The constitution is written on one page of paper.

Powerful things can come in small packages.

Size does not determine evil or good, its contents do.

Coming from government, I suspect its contents are more evil than the 2000 page whopper presented earlier.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

You have a good point.

The squabbling, though, seems have devolved over the size of the bill rather than what's in it.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
The constitution is written on one page of paper.

Four pages.

Powerful things can come in small packages.

Eleven pages is pretty small.

Coming from government, I suspect its contents are more evil than the 2000 page whopper presented earlier.

The US constitution came from government; a federal government replacing a confederate government.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Sorry, 4 pages. The Dec of Independence was written on one.

Doesn't change anything.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I think he meant coming from government today, not way back ..

I think the the liberal democrats are all running around now like chickens without heads, since their head was the healthcare bill and it was recently decapitated.. These people saw their big chance to fortify their grip on power with the so called health care legislation, since all it did was give the government incredible power over Americans, but didn't actually lower costs or help anyone except government.
What America needs to do next is BOOT THEM ALL OUT 2010/2012
every incumbent, get rid of the losers and get some fresh decent people in there. either by vote or by force, whichever it takes to clean out the corruption. The corruption is so bad that the only thing that might work to clean it up is saturation bombing ! (metaphorically speaking)

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
The US constitution came from government; a federal government replacing a confederate government.

The US Constitution came from a delegation of citizens that were selected from various colonies...not the government.

As for the 11 page deal...maybe some tongue-in-cheek is taking place. I highly doubt the 'proposal' that has been distributed is in the form of a bill. More of a mini-white paper to start generating buzz.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by links234

The US Constitution came from a delegation of citizens that were selected from various colonies...not the government.

As for the 11 page deal...maybe some tongue-in-cheek is taking place. I highly doubt the 'proposal' that has been distributed is in the form of a bill. More of a mini-white paper to start generating buzz.

The debate of the origin of the constitution isn't for this thread, but I have something that is:

The President's Proposal.pdf

If you've ever bothered reading a bill you'll know it's definently NOT in such a format, I wish all bills could be simplified but they're written by lawyers:

Originating from HR 3311
(c) ACCREDITING AGENCY STANDARDS- Section 496(a)(5) (20 U.S.C. 1099b(a)(5)) is amended--

(1) by striking `and' at the end of subparagraph (I);

(2) by inserting `and' after the semicolon at the end of subparagraph (J); and

(3) by inserting after subparagraph (J) the following new subparagraph:

`(K) policies for the transfer of credit and the notification of the public of such policies;'.

Mind the double spacing. HR 3311 is completely unrelated, it was a random choice of numbers, but I assure you a LOT of bills in congress are written like this.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

I think you have misread or didn't understand what I was saying in regards to the 11-pages. So I shall restate.

I believe Mr. Boehner is giving some tongue-in-cheek, satire, facetiousness, etc in espousing that the proposal isn't long enough. As I know what a bill looks, so in that effect, for others that may have not, I thank you for posting an example.

My problem is with the headline - This isn't a bill. It has no H.R. # nor a SB#. This is purely a white-paper summary to generate buzz amongst the TV pundits, radio-hosts, newsmen across the country and sites like this.

I am with you on wishing bills were more plain language, small and tidy.

new topics

top topics

join