It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina can't scare us, say Falkland Islanders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Argentina can't scare us, say Falkland Islanders

trueslant.com

Falkland Islanders were flying Union flags en masse over Stanley on Sunday as they met Argentina’s threats with a gritty defiance.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
So here we have it, straight from the Islanders themselves, it's not fair ATS members and argentinians demanding we give them over to Argentina, does nobody care about the Islanders who wish to remain British?

Chavez has said we should give them back as our duty as a democracy, that is BS, im 100% sure the islanders would vote to remain British.

The way i see it we have potentially hit a gold mine of oil, argentina and her neighbours are jealous.

trueslant.com

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yep, it's all about oil again...

Indeed, oil is a blessing or a curse.

I agree though that the islanders should decide whose flag they fly through an geniune democratic process.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

So here we have it, straight from the Islanders themselves, it's not fair ATS members and argentinians demanding we give them over to Argentina, does nobody care about the Islanders who wish to remain British?

Chavez has said we should give them back as our duty as a democracy, that is BS, im 100% sure the islanders would vote to remain British.

trueslant.com

Actually the Falkland Islanders don't want to speak Spannish. Just research the history with the war in the early 80's. Also the last time I heard of a person from the Falklands was on radio Program "The World" from PRI abou the anniversary of the famed war. I don't know his exact words, but he said something to this....

"We have a good life, and there's no unemployment, everyone has a job here.".

If that isn't a vote for British rule, then I don't know what is.

But let the Argentina invade again, The British will kick there lousy ass again, and again, and, well you get the point.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
yeah they should decide in a proper voting

its not because 5 are appearing in a picture saying they dont want ARG that it is true

so, lets do something to prove it ... proper voting system

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I say let them have the Falklands. How would we feel if, say, Argentina had control of the Isle of Wight? What are we doing hanging on to islands on the other side off the world?
Really I don't give a stuff about what the islanders want. Of course they would prefer to be British. If they want it so much, let them move to Britain.
Not taking account of all the lives lost in the previous war, apparently we have about 1,000 soldiers permanently stationed there. What a waste. But there again maybe not. Maybe it's about the oil, not about the islanders.
Let's have a phased handover of the Falklands to Argentina.
All those with British nationality should be offered repatriation to the UK.
But if the present status quo is maintained, their taxes should at least reflect the cost of maintaining them.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The EU should get its army together quickly and invade Argentina for being a "Rogue State" and "Attacking" British soil.

Then we can control all their oil.

It seems to be a winning strategy in this day and age and those pesky Argentineans have been getting too good at rugby over the past few years for their own good.. someone needs to show those overly religious, blue Jersey'd cattle farming bastids who's boss in the real world..

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol

its not because 5 are appearing in a picture saying they dont want ARG that it is true

They already did.

Why should they do it again?

Nothing has changed, including their desire to stay part of the UK.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

What a mindset.... Fact: "The Falkland Islands were uninhabited when discovered by Europeans"

I'm sure the 3,140 British islanders wouldn't be too happy with your commen't about "stuffing" them, regardless of how far "away" they are they.

"Realising that any talks on the sovereignty issue would be derailed if it did not meet with the islander's wishes, the British and Argentine Governments enacted a series of measures"

So they set some measures to comply with the islanders wishes? (Both Governments) why go back on what was agreed and kick up a tantrum .... oh Argentina saw the oil!

[edit on 23-2-2010 by ainsley]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
The EU should get its army together quickly and invade Argentina for being a "Rogue State" and "Attacking" British soil.

Then we can control all their oil.

It seems to be a winning strategy in this day and age and those pesky Argentineans have been getting too good at rugby over the past few years for their own good.. someone needs to show those overly religious, blue Jersey'd cattle farming bastids who's boss in the real world..

I think your find with Barclay's chosen by them to manage their $63bn debt swap this is a bizarre situation. Institutions like Barclay's could do more damage (as the Greek economy can prove) without a single shot being fired.

The question is what is really going on, and why did Argentine gov pick an enemy per se to manage their debts!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirbikesalot06
If that isn't a vote for British rule, then I don't know what is.

But let the Argentina invade again, The British will kick there lousy ass again, and again, and, well you get the point.

It's nice to see one of our American cousins with such a high opinion of us.

You are, of course, completely correct. The Argentine army and navy are of inferior size and quality, it would be no problem to put them back in their places.

And unicorn1, Argentina has NEVER owned the Falkland Islands, and they are as far away from the mainland as Norway is from Scotland.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol

Why? the islands have been British for 200 years, have been secured in battle and have been supported by British pounds for decades. The fate of the Islands lies solely in the British command, no vote will change that and nor should it, unless the 3,000 citizens there would like to start paying back the investment Britain has made? BTW 5 of 3000 is a good %

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Apparently history alludes the Argentinian leadership. Although I would caution that Chavez may be trying to help it all go down that road. Falklanders had made it overwhelming clear the last time they wanted a british gov't. This is nothing more than a play for oil on Argentin's side

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
I say let them have the Falklands. How would we feel if, say, Argentina had control of the Isle of Wight? What are we doing hanging on to islands on the other side off the world?
Really I don't give a stuff about what the islanders want. Of course they would prefer to be British. If they want it so much, let them move to Britain.
Not taking account of all the lives lost in the previous war, apparently we have about 1,000 soldiers permanently stationed there. What a waste. But there again maybe not. Maybe it's about the oil, not about the islanders.
Let's have a phased handover of the Falklands to Argentina.
All those with British nationality should be offered repatriation to the UK.
But if the present status quo is maintained, their taxes should at least reflect the cost of maintaining them.

What? Geographically it does not matter where they are situated but he mere fact it is a holding of Britain. The cost of maintaining them is easily recovered in revenues and reduced prices in oil and gas for GB. Airlift all the people out of there and nothing changes, it still to Britain. You say we in your post, so if you are British then someone you know has a relative who was involved in the war in the 80's, do you feel it is fair for some of your brethren to have died so you could just give it away because a country feels they can lay claim to anything they want?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Yep Iraq American and Falkland Islanders is British lol.. You are a funny guy..

there should be a vote to make it clear for the sake of me..

[edit on 23-2-2010 by oozyism]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
Apparently history alludes the Argentinian leadership.

Its not just history that alludes the Argentinian government...its everything.

The residents of the Casa Rosada have, yet again, led the country to financial and economic ruin, leaving the average guy in the street footing the bill with reducued living conditions, shortage of food etc.

Its the same ol, asme ol..

To distract attention from their failing system they seek to animate te crowds with an invasion of the Falklands.
This has nothing to do with national pride, but much to do with the revenue that 60 billion barrels of oil would bring to futher line their pockets.

[edit on 22/02/2010 by andy1972]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
For those who have a major intelligence malfunction, lets go over a few points...

Firstly, they had a vote. In 1985 in fact. They voted overwhelmingly to stay British.

Secondly, they are not supported by Britain like you might think. They are quite self-sufficient. Britain provides defence, education and healthcare, exactly the same as here on the mainland. With the expected oil revenues, any expense incurred in the past 200 years will be paid back with interest.

Thirdly, these islands were never Argentine, aside from a few weeks in 1982 before we slapped them back to patagonia that is.

Fourthly, geographic proximity has nothing to do with ownership. They are over 300 miles from Argentina. I am closer to Paris or Berlin than they are to Argentina!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Im sorry but where does chavez get off demanding that the uk do anything. He says that he is not alone in this? ha! Im sure the Uk is more then ready to put those fullish dreams aside. If not america will be there so back them up once again. Chavez is a joke, hes only in power because the powers allow it, nothing more.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
For those who have a major intelligence malfunction, lets go over a few points...

Firstly, they had a vote. In 1985 in fact. They voted overwhelmingly to stay British.

Secondly, they are not supported by Britain like you might think. They are quite self-sufficient. Britain provides defence, education and healthcare, exactly the same as here on the mainland. With the expected oil revenues, any expense incurred in the past 200 years will be paid back with interest.

Thirdly, these islands were never Argentine, aside from a few weeks in 1982 before we slapped them back to patagonia that is.

Thanks for clarifying what I heard on the radio last year.

top topics

join