It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Rid of Hispanics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Those Hispanics fit into one of those race catergories.... Some our White, Black, Native Indians, some our Bi-Racials... They should get over themselves Hispanic is a made up word by the census.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fumanchu

I do agree, but I'm thinking in terms of collecting data for statistical purposes. I somehow can't make the jump that it doesn't matter. Should we not know how many hispanic children are enrolled in the public school system?

Why is it significant to know how many African American children, but not children who perhaps need special assistance? And yes, I do believe more money might need to be spent, for bi-lingual teachers, and teaching English as a second language. It just seems important to me.

Maybe I'm wrong. But it does seem statistically significant, and the current collection of data won't reflect the true population in this regard.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I thought this thread was about getting rid of Mexicans. Oh well.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Is this the form sent through schools?

www.census.gov...

The ideology of seperate races is firmly entrenched in the institutions of America and I find that to be even more frightening than the missing Hispanics designation.

Canada's census makes NO reference to 'race' at all. Here's how it's handled:

Ethnic origin/ancestry – Question 17

The following information was provided to respondents in the 2B Census Guide and the 2D interviewer field manual.

This question refers to the ethnic or cultural origins of a person's ancestors. An ancestor is someone from whom a person is descended and is usually more distant than a grandparent. Other than Aboriginal persons, most people can trace their origins to their ancestors who first came to this continent. Ancestry should not be confused with citizenship or nationality.

For all persons, report the specific ethnic or cultural groups to which their ancestors belonged, not the language they spoke. For example, report 'Haitian' rather than 'French,' or 'Austrian' rather than 'German.'

For persons of East Indian or South Asian origins, report a specific origin or origins. Do not report 'Indian.' For example, report 'East Indian from India,' 'East Indian from Guyana,' or indicate the specific group, such as 'Punjabi' or 'Tamil.'

For persons with Aboriginal ancestors, report a specific origin or origins. For example, report 'Cree,' 'Micmac,' 'Ojibway,' 'North American Indian,' 'Métis.' Do not report 'Indian.'

www12.statcan.ca...

While in America, 'race' is specified on question 9 of the short form:

2010.census.gov...

Disturbing.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

You are right, In really needs to be thrown out and a Candaian style question like the one you shown but in there.... In 2000 I put in American for the Race part they sent to a census person to my house. LOL.... I told them there are no coloreds
here just plain ole Americans.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Surprising this doesn't include Hispanic and then what Race, Did they forget about the Latin Union? We're not that small at all, we're not hard to miss, lol.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Hispanic is not a race. Sorry. Nothing to see in this story.

My wife is hispanic, as are my sons and several aunts/uncles/cousins. Some are a combination of Amerind and English, some Amerind and Spanish, some pure Amerind, yet lived among other "hispanics" so much that they don't consider themselves Amerind anymore.

Hispanic is not a race. Being Mexican is nothing more than a nationality. From the federal perspective, being Hispanic means you are "caucasian".

[edit on 23-2-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Marrr

Sorry...my fault. If I could change the title I would but I don't know how.

I just wanted to catch people's attention.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marrr

I just wanted to take a minute to recognize you for pure comedic gold. No one else may have noticed, but I did.

Well played.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Is this the form sent through schools?
reply to post by masqua

No, this wasn't the form.

I don't have a copy to scan or I would. But the form was very simple. It simply said "choose your ethnicity by ________ date. If you don't turn it in, the school will choose for you."

Underneath that, were the list of ethnicities to choose from. Hispanic was not included.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Here's exactly what you posted:

As those of you in the US know, this year is the census year. As part of this process, the government sent home to all students a form for the parents to designate their race.

On the form:
African-American
White
Pacific Islander
Asian
Bi-Racial
American Indian

If "minority" was the focus, perhaps there would be no "white" designation, or perhaps no "bi-racial" one. Not every black person is "African American." Your administrators are either misguided or have an agenda.

Your school district asked about RACE, not color, or primary language or heritage.

Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, perhaps not. But the sarcastic comments about poor research are not appreciated, nor helpful.

I made no such comments. You are too defensive.

"Hispanic" has not ever had any business being included in any designation or choice of "race."

Sorry if you feel put-upon, but your OP title is misleading and your interpretation is wrong. There's no other way to put it.

jw

[edit on 23-2-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Hispanic is not a race. Sorry. Nothing to see in this story.
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I understand your point....but I do thiink there is something to this story because government funding is based on this information.

If we want to have accurate statistics when we look at testing data, we need all information.

If we are going to get rid of hispanic, lets get rid of them all.

By the way, I hope no one is taking this thread to mean I have a problem with hispanics....I don't and that is not the image I want to portray. I'm just concerned why the school is suddenly changing things.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Thank you Sir! Nothing derogatory meant whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

your interpretation is wrong.
reply to post by jdub297

Your right, I wrote race. I should have put ethnicity. My fault.

Now, can you please explain why my interpretation is wrong?

By taking the designation of hispanic out of the picture, the schools will NOT have an accurate portrayal of student population. This is directly tied to funding from the government. Which means, ultimately, that if hispanics are no longer recognized as a minority, schools will receive less funding. I don't see how this interpretation is wrong.

As for feeling emotional, again, you are right. I see this as just another blow to public education, and heaven knows its already bad enough.

It was not my intention to offend you, if I did then I apologize.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by smyleegrl]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I don't recall ever seeing "Hispanic" as a choice on a government form. At my sons school, you don't get a choice for "Hispanic", even though 70% of our community would be classified as such (we live about 3 hours from the border).

Maybe in California, where they look to give The People's money away. But in Texas, as far back as i can recall, "Hispanic" hasn't been a choice in schools.

Now, job applications, or university applications....possibly. But I can say that as far as federal dollars go, there is little added benefit for being a "Hispanic minority" (although orgs like LULAC do have scholarship programs).

Remember this: from a "National Security" standpoint, the "La Raza" or "Aztlan" movement is very dangerous. It is a sort of racial, Aztec pride thing among some Latino's. There is everything to gain by discrediting such a notion, federally speaking.

As well, as mentioned by other members already, your "race" has more to do with your heritage. A Hispanic is, theoretically, a mix of Amerind/Aboriginal American and European, or Asian, or African (remember, Dominicans are hispanic, and often very afro in appearance).

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
But tha'ts the problem....there is no space for other.

A lot of the hispanics I talked to have chosen Asian. Not sure why.

Does no one else really see a problem with this?

hispanics are biracial. Spaniards came to Turtle Island and married Native Americans. What's the problem with using "biracial"? The form isn't asking for a cultural breakdown. You don't see a slot for "Polish" or "Irish", do you?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
When I applied to be a cop in Miami , when I filled up the application it had 4 options ...White,Black,Asian,Native American. I asked the lady why isn´t there a hispanic option and she told me that I had to fill the white option because of my skin color. Then she went on to tell me that it was a lot easier to identify a person by their skin color than by their ethnicity.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by simon2k7]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess my concern is that funding for the school systems will change, because prior to this the schools where I'm from did supply more money to schools with a higher population of hispanics. Same as they do with higher population of any minority.

Maybe the schools are just getting on board with the rest of the government programs with changing hispanics to white or bi-racial. Maybe I'm just a paranoid ATS person who sees conspiracies everywhere.

Anyway, I do hope this turns out to be nothing but my imagination in overdrive.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

No, being hispanic means you are white, but not caucasian.

Caucasian is designated to whites of Western European decent.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by simon2k7
When I applied to be a cop in Miami , when I filled up the application it had 4 options ...White,Black,Asian,Native American. I asked the lady why isn´t there a hispanic option and she told me that I had to fill the white option because of my skin color. Then she went on to tell me that it was a lot easier to identify a person by their skin color than by their ethnicity.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by simon2k7]
So, did you obey her? Are you sure she was right? Did you question the source of her imperative?

Of course you didn't question her. You were signing up to be a policy enforcement officer/tax collector. Your bread and butter is the unquestioning ignorance of the masses. Why would you want to stand out, even though you are more intelligent than them?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join