It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of Buddhism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

I guess the Dalai Lama might quit?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
This may not be a very good sign for the world.... I mean, it could mean that the Dalai recognizes something that we don't. End of the age, perhaps?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hah, hardly the "end" of Buddhism if you ask me. Since when was Buddhism dependent on a central figure, guiding it's way like the Pope for Christianity? Buddhism is all about self-exploration and realization through universal truths, not listening to the corporate-approved mouth-piece (I am not inferring that the Dalai Lama is a mouth-piece, just a general statement). Buddhism probably wouldn't even flinch if the Dalai Lama conceded his position, imo.

NEXUS

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The article doesn't say he wants to quit. He says that Tibet may progress politically in such a way as to have a different secular governance arrangement than the one by which he became leader.

As the article points out, Chinese occupiers, not Tibetans, will choose his successor, if any such person is chosen and the yoke of Chinese oppression is not lifted from Tibet by then. Smart political play, then, might be to abandon an institution which is likely to be turned against the people it ought to serve.

There is no particular significance to world Buddhism, as other posters have pointed out.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

It would be the end of Tibetan Buddhism. Which brings me to the Maitreya. It seems Tibetan Buddhism is favorable of the Maitreya and the destruction of New China or The People's Republic of China could see such a leader to influence Chinese Buddhist. Just my two dimes.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him.” — Linji

The Dalai Lama is not Buddha. If anything, the Dalai Lama was a distraction from enlightenment.

top topics

join