It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong in Texas, in the USA?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

As I am a Texican, perhaps this might answer your question. I for one take such dim view of polls in general, that if on the rare occasion I do take one I totally mess my answers up so bad, all any pollster can conclude is that I'm either an ignorant hick, insane, or an insane ignorant hick.
Yea we like jerkin the pollsters. Modern day fun.

PG

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Of course there is. You not knowing of the evidence doesn't make it magically disappear and instantly nullify the scientific method! However convenient that might be to one's beliefs.

Would the same not be said of the Creation Theory?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Of course there is. You not knowing of the evidence doesn't make it magically disappear and instantly nullify the scientific method! However convenient that might be to one's beliefs.

No.

Evidence for evolution: the fossil record, evidence against "the tales of the desert people": no signs of global flood.

You lose.

Evolution is a fact. It's a fact that evolution has happened, happens and will happen until the end of time. The theory explains how it works.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Ever wonder why there are more stupid people than intelligent ones? Natural selection use to take care of this problem. Now with modern medicine to keep anyone alive that balance is upturned. Furthermore, stupid people tend to have more offspring because it does not care for their welfare and will depend on state or luck to fix the problem. Their strategy is basic survival and increase in numbers. Intelligent people do however tend to be more conscientious about the ramifications of their actions. They may ponder what a craphole and how dangerous this world is and may be less selfish about bringing their offspring into this precarious world weighed against their ability to ensure the best possible future for them. They pour their resources into a few, quality versus quantity. That is why stupid people outweigh intelligent people. Bizarre.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Creationism/Creation/God the creator/etc etc is not a scientific theory.
Please do not make it sound like one.

In the sciences, a scientific theory (also called an empirical theory) comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations, and is put forth as a principle or body of principles for explaining a class of phenomena.

en.wikipedia.org...

Show me a godly miracle or Jesus himself (dead or alive .. or rising from the dead) and you will be on to something.
The bible is not good enough .. sorry.

Science and Creationism
A View from the National Academy of Sciences
www.nap.edu...

Read it. Don't scream propaganda or my bible says.. Take the time to read that first.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

No.

Evidence for evolution: the fossil record, evidence against "the tales of the desert people": no signs of global flood.

You lose.

Evolution is a fact. It's a fact that evolution has happened, happens and will happen until the end of time. The theory explains how it works.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by rhinoceros]

The fossil record shows there was dinosaurs. It is not proof of evolution.

And evolution is NOT fact. lol

[edit on 2/24/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

[edit on 2/24/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nophun

Creationism/Creation/God the creator/etc etc is not a scientific theory.
Please do not make it sound like one.

In the sciences, a scientific theory (also called an empirical theory) comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations, and is put forth as a principle or body of principles for explaining a class of phenomena.

en.wikipedia.org...

Show me a godly miracle or Jesus himself (dead or alive .. or rising from the dead) and you will be on to something.
The bible is not good enough .. sorry.

Science and Creationism
A View from the National Academy of Sciences
www.nap.edu...

Read it. Don't scream propaganda or my bible says.. Take the time to read that first.

On the same token . . .

show me transitional creatures . . . or even transitional fossils.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What ?
The fossil record clearly shows simple organisms then more complex organism then more complex organism .. then more complex organism ... and so on.
re
Evolution explains this .. Six days of creation cannot ..

Your argument is ... ?

[edit on 24-2-2010 by nophun]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
OMG it is the "show me transitional creatures" case .. well played sheep ..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03e18a63ec65.jpg[/atsimg]

There is my proof .. I win. (stupid creationism at it finest imo)
I kid of course because this argument is old and really stupid

There are transitional creatures, and YOU ARE ONE OF THEM, everything alive is still evolving !

Want proof ?
Explain vestigial organs, please.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a living one ...
en.wikipedia.org...

extinct one here
en.wikipedia.org...

another..
en.wikipedia.org...

here here !
en.wikipedia.org...

and
en.wikipedia.org...

I give up look your self.
en.wikipedia.org...
Seymouria
Rodhocetus kasrani
Massetognathus
Proterogyrinus
Captorhinus
Deltavjatia vjatkensis
Hyperodapedon
Ammonoidea

I can go on .. if you want

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

You forgot to mention the Human coccyx!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I think there were polls like this back in 67-68 to see if Texans would believe the Government when they told them they were going to send people to the moon soon.
They would put a big ole Command Center in Houston for them if they would by it.
It worked. I guess they got fooled once again. And yes it is not just Texans it is Universal.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pizzaguy

....if on the rare occasion I do take one I totally mess my answers up so bad, all any pollster can conclude is that I'm either an ignorant hick, insane, or an insane ignorant hick.

I have long suspected this to be the case.

[i]Especially when a group of high school students are the subject of a "poll"....I always thought they skewed the answers, just to prank.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

dewclaws!

Showing natural selection and the HIV virus ...

Really, I could go on and on but how can I change someone mind who says evolution is NOT fact. The proof is well known but some people refuse to listen.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/efeddb54c26d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

In their study, 60% of the population of Texas (that's about 15 MILLION people) either believe that Humans and Dinosaurs lived at the same time, or are "Not Sure".

Whoa, Whoa. WHOA!!! They did not poll every single Texan, I didn't do this poll and I don't know anyone that did. So saying '15 million or 60% of the entire population of Texas,' would be incorrect. 60% of the people polled in Texas believe that. However, I am sure a majority, if not all 60%, are deeply religious, failed highschool, and/or lied on the ballot. Either way, I will not defend their stupidity.

And I just went to the results PDF.

Winter 2010 Initial Results Summary
N=800 Registered Voters
Margin of error: +/- 3.46%
February 1-7, 2010

This survey is based on 800 people. I don't know which county they polled either. I am assuming somewhere in Austin. Has anyone found the poll location? It says a 'statewide survey,' yet they only polled 800 people?

[edit on 24-2-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

or better yet, this image....

[edit on 24 February 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

lol I asume you are pointing out the See no evil.blablabla pic.

I have decided to flood this thread with proof of evolution.

This post I bring to you atavism.

t·a·vism (t-vzm)
n.
1. The reappearance of a characteristic in an organism after several generations of absence, usually caused by the chance recombination of genes.

If everything living was just as it is explain this

Babies born with pseudo-tails.
www.talkorigins.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/204b4f4d05ab.jpg[/atsimg]

I know I know ... devil children ...?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

I have decided to flood this thread with proof of evolution.

You have my permission. I have tried, in other threads, only to be whelmed by the inevitable "literalists" who keep throwing religious falderal around, to "support" their claims.

The State (or as some of them there refer to it, the "Republic") of Texas can be considered to be a part of the "Bible Belt, USA"

AND< yes, I realize there are very, very metropolitan and cosmopolitan erudite, educated, and enlightened persons living in Texas.

We dare NOT judge a region (or 'state' or 'republic') merely based on its geographical location, or perceived "lack of intelligence"....that is a form of intolerance, in and of itself.

Another poster mentioned that "polls" can be influenced by intentionally uttered poor answers, just for "fun"....and another said, rightly, that "polls" are a sampling, supposedly in the best of intentions, of a small representative population, then 'expanded', by statistical calculations, to attempt to encompass a larger population, merely by inference...(OK, the poster didn't say that exactly, but that is what I understood him/her to mean).

I am apalled, almost daily, by encountering the level of complete inanity in life, as I interact with my fellow Human beings...but that is sometimes tempered by the incredible diversity, and flashes of insight and wisdom that can be displayed randomly, as well, when I least expect it.

See my Carl Sagan quote, in my signature.....

[edit on 24 February 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Other than cases of genetic drift that are obvious, easy to see, combined with the extrapolation of what we have seen via the domestication of animals and plants, we have no proof of evolution.

However, we have strong evidence of it. To at least some degree.

Now, do i believe evolution accounts for all life, all the genetic diversity, and humanity? Nope. I believe it is one of the ways. I think that it is a lot more important than you would think, though.

To me it is obvious that at times there has been intervention of an intelligent nature, both from humans (i.e. domestication and husbandry) and "other parties" (God, alien, whatever).

But, keep in mind, this is an expression of my faith.
"The middle way".

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks, bfft...

"The middle way".

Panspermia???

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Sorry. Not seeing any monkey fish there.

Or any monkey-cave men.

Or any cave men-modern humans.

If you want to get real technical, where are the transitional fish with no lungs to fish with lungs?

For all we know, those creatures are not even related.

It is all conjecture.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join