It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong in Texas, in the USA?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

All due respect, Sir or Madam, it does NOT work that simply, as you suggest in this parft of your post:

The hypothesis that an amoeba turned into a fish turned into a monkey turned into a caveman...

Please try to study, more...PLEASE???

There is much, much more involved, and you must consider TIME, and generations, and stop thinking merely in timescales of a few Human generations, but open your mind to a LARGER time frame....WAY, WAY beyond what you're accustomed to thinking....

PLEASE....OPEN YOUR MIND!!!!

Thank you.

[edit on 23 February 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
From a native Texan: Texas consistently ranks 48th-49th in most rankings regarding the situation of poor people. The original State motto was "The Friendship State". Somewhere along the way, the motto was changed to " Screw the Poor." The reason our kids are so ignorant is, number 1, we aren't willing to pay for a top=notch education. There is a river of money pouring out of our country paying for our empire. Look at Cost of War web-site. We're talkin $3,000 per SECOND.

Also, religious fundamentalists, on a mission from God, have taken-over most school boards. Science is voodoo. Psychiatrists and mental health professionals might find out what goes on at bedtime.

Yankees might take our kids away and force them to lie about us.

I was born here, but my citizenship was revoked in '77 'cause I forgot the Alamo. (thanx to Woody Allen).

One time at a summer job as a prison guard, I got into a heated discussion on science with my devout Moslem roommate. He was insisting " The sun is NOT a star!" Billy Bob comes walking down the hall. I say" Billy Bob, tell Abdul the sun is a star."

Billy Bob replies, "No, I don't think the sun is a star."

So bear with us native Texans, we have an uphill climb.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I am a sir . . . last time I checked

Please explain to me how that is possible, and why we do not see it happening now?

In fact, why do we not see amoeba/fish creatures? How about fish/monkey creatures? Monkey/caveman creatures? Caveman/modern human creatures?

And if we go back so far into time, how did we test the evolution hypothesis to make it a theory?

[edit on 2/23/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by harry ashburn
From a native Texan: Texas consistently ranks 48th-49th in most rankings regarding the situation of poor people. The original State motto was "The Friendship State". Somewhere along the way, the motto was changed to " Screw the Poor." The reason our kids are so ignorant is, number 1, we aren't willing to pay for a top=notch education. There is a river of money pouring out of our country paying for our empire. Look at Cost of War web-site. We're talkin $3,000 per SECOND.

It does not help that illegal trespassers are using our school system.

Neither does the no child left behind BS or standardized testing for that matter.

Also, religious fundamentalists, on a mission from God, have taken-over most school boards. Science is voodoo. Psychiatrists and mental health professionals might find out what goes on at bedtime.

Evolution is not science. Sorry to burst your bubble. Actually . . . I am not really sorry.

Yankees might take our kids away and force them to lie about us.

I was born here, but my citizenship was revoked in '77 'cause I forgot the Alamo. (thanx to Woody Allen).

One time at a summer job as a prison guard, I got into a heated discussion on science with my devout Moslem roommate. He was insisting " The sun is NOT a star!" Billy Bob comes walking down the hall. I say" Billy Bob, tell Abdul the sun is a star."

Billy Bob replies, "No, I don't think the sun is a star."

So bear with us native Texans, we have an uphill climb.

So you had numb-nut friends. Those people are everywhere.

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 2/23/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Why not see it "happening now"???

Well, that's easy....NO HUMAN LIVES LONG ENOUGH to see it 'happening', within their lifetime.

I tried to mention this, earlier....we can only discern, from observation of past experience, based on science, to infer....THAT is part of why the term "theory" is valid....because, if you looked it up, a "theory" is MORE than a guess, and better than a "hypothesis"....

LOOK IT UP, please.....use the Internet.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Romans 10:9

that's what dubya said, and look what happened...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

One of the simplest arguments against evolution, I've seen is: If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

OH, PUHLEEEZEEEE!!!!

Good joke, but still a joke......right????

I mean....OK, this is ATS, and there is supposed to be a level of intelligence, within the group who post......

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by WTFover

I mean....OK, this is ATS, and there is supposed to be a level of intelligence, within the group who post......

Pardon me, oh enlightened one, for having a thought, without first verifying it agrees with yours. After all, yours is the only one that matters and you are the only one with any knowledge on the subject.

Isn't the idea of posting a thread, to begin a discussion? It seems you just want everyone to fall to their knees and acknowledge your magnificent awareness and insight.

Please, indeed. Why not address the question and not deflect with name calling? After all, I just said it was a simple argument and never claimed to to cling to it as the sole argument against evolution.

Care to try, again?

[edit on 23-2-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Name calling???

Little ole' me????

Do carry on, but thank you for your opinion.....

Adding.....I thought i had made it clear, based on ALL of my posts in this thread, and as the OP....please review them, and get back to us.

Thanks.

In advance.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
stupidity rules this thread and the op is ignorant of the possibilities we can think of. those of us with brains that are not powered by a sqirr....oh never mind

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Because we branched off from them, and found no reason to extinct them

With that logic, you would also have to ask: Why are their still single celled organisms? Why are their still bacteria? Why are their still amphibians?

Just because we evolve from a species, doesn't mean that the preceding form must become extinct.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Fair enough . . .

But where are these hybrids?

Where is the evidence of these hybrids?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by WTFover

Just because we evolve from a species, doesn't mean that the preceding form must become extinct.

But, isn't that the very definition of "evolve"? A gradual development or improvement of a previous form. If apes were a previous form, from which humans evolved, why would not the entire species evolve to the new form?

But, I would like to continue this discussion in another thread and apologize to the OP for chasing a rabbit here. If such a thread is originated, please let me know.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I am not sure what you are asking, here......you expect to see living 'hybrid versions in the biota of today???

They might exist....BUT their full potential, as evolutionary successes, will not be evident, to YOU, in your lifetime.....unless YOU happen to be fortunate enough to live for about two or three million years......

We can only look back, and infer from fossile records to understand how WE got here.

Just watched a Science Channel program on TV, that gave a good explanation. There still exist, today, a species called a "lungfish" (not aware of the scientific term to describe this creature....)

But, this species can breathe water, that is, they can extract oxygen from the water, through their gills...BUT, when challenged by low O2 levels in the water, they can also breathe air, using rudimentary "lungs".... not lungs like most mammals, and you and I have, Still, it is an adaptation, and passed on from procreation, which is HOW it happens....those that survive, thrive....

LUNGS evolved within the "airways"....or an offshoot of the esophagus....of our earilier ancestors....capillary vessels, near the surface of the tissue walls could absorb oxygen, from the air breathed in, by the lucky organism that had the adaptation....and IF that individual survived to breed, then its traits were passed on to offspring.... etc, etc, etc....and THAT is how species evolve!!!!

Only one version, but stir and repeat, over and over again, .....hope it helps....

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Fair enough . . .

But where are these hybrids?

Where is the evidence of these hybrids?

Yesterday i was sitting at a stop light on a busy street in my hometown. I then see this really nice hummer. It has a cool, fade paint job that goes from black on bottom to yellow on top.

As hard as i tried, i could not find the "seam" line where the fade occured. I used to do some body work when i was younger, and i marvelled at the workmanship put into this fade paint job.

our fossil record only shows a scant piece of the worlds history. I would bet that on the order of millions of species have come and gone without us even having a trace of their existence. Given this spotty record, i would expect it would be hard to tell where the "seam" line was on this paint job, too. The change is so gradual, like the fade paint job.

I get what you are saying. I can't say i disagree. However, from the standpoint of evidence and proof, evolution is obvious to at least some degree. This isn't to say we all came from four legged fish sloshing out of the sea. Or that the timeline of archaology is correct. Only that we have documented cases of evolution in action, via "genetic drift".

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

In a University of Texas poll, an astonishing amount of those polled are woefully ignorant of basic science.

In their study, 60% of the population of Texas (that's about 15 MILLION people) either believe that Humans and Dinosaurs lived at the same time, or are "Not Sure".

!!!! Why do I find no surprise in this???

Well, there might be more going on here, than meets the eye.

Two things:

1) No disagreement - the general populace is, indeed, stupid, however...

2) 'basic science', as you referred to it, isn't all that 'basic' - it is constantly modified and updated as new evidence is presented and/or uncovered (something religion could learn from, and is responsible for suppressing for hundreds/thousands of years, but I digress).

If you've visited other corners of ATS (or the web, in general), you'll find that there are a growing number of folks out there that understand that the question of human origins is a very complex and ever-developing mystery. Some suggest - with evidence - that humans (in one form or another) had thrived in multiple iterations between global cataclysms, and have existed for 100,000s and even millions of years, and beyond, since just the last one. Since this has happened multiple times before, over the 4.5BILLion history of the earth, and Dinosaurs we know existed a mere 65MILLion yrs ago, then you can do the math.

I'm not concluding that humans and dinosaurs lived side by side, necessarily, but some could argue that humans at least existed near/before the time of dinosaurs, making the claim a little more plausible.

FTR...

I am not a creationist (in the biblical sense - just silly - no science behind it at all)
I am not an evolutionist (anymore - scientific and fossil record does not support macro evolution, only micro)

So, where does that leave us?

Perhaps Intervention Theory is the answer. Couple that with the understanding that the Earth HAS many times before (and will again, eventually) 'reset' itself, through any number of possible scenarios (asteroid impact, super volcano eruptions, ice ages, massive geophysical changes, etc), then you are given another distant timeline of 'human evolution' that may be waiting to repeat itself, yet again.

Do a Google search for "humans dinosaurs existed", and you'll be surprised at some of the returns. A lot of them are simply ridiculous. Others... not so much.

In closing, however, I will sadly have to agree with your original assessment with regards to stupidity rather than actual enlightenment.

Oh, and HOOK'EM!!

[U.Texas Grad '94 - Mathematics]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

So really there is no evidence that shows how we got from being an amoeba to being modern humans.

It is just guesswork

There is, therefore, no real way to test the hypothesis.

The Hypothesis of Evolution And Creation Science

That is a good link to read. It is long, but good.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Well, to add to this comment, we do see half man half monkeys RIGHT HERE ON THIS THREAD!

edit to add-grumpy people are more evolved and to add this photo-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bfe6658990a9.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 2/24/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Of course there is. You not knowing of the evidence doesn't make it magically disappear and instantly nullify the scientific method! However convenient that might be to one's beliefs.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join