learn more

What is wrong in Texas, in the USA?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
I am not going to debate my non-bias OBSERVANCES with knuckleheads any further. Your inferior complex is quite obvious. My state is one of an Ivy league college where freshmen are more intelligent then your brightest. Why shall I waste my time with any further silliness.

Translation:

"I have nothing to base it on, but I believe Texas to suck. Why? Because GW Bush is from Texas, and my BDS drives me to rant needlessly about things that are untrue and originally hailed from my nether region.

Since i have nothing to support my wild and inaccurate claims, i will close with a silly little rant and declare victory despite all common sense."

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

As much as some may blame religion for this iggnorance, I blame the schools and the emphasis on End-Of-Grade testing
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I wish I was a mod just so I could applaud this post.

End of Grade testing is the WORST thing in the public school system.

In fifth grade, students take three tests: reading, math, and science. Guess what that means? Endless lessons on reading, math, and science. Test practice after test practice.

Forget social studies, language, spelling....those aren't tested subjects and therefore get very little attention (if any). Knowing this, it isn't a very big surprise to me when I read statistics that show how ignorant Americans have become.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

two words...

"Mission Accomplished"

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Not to be bashing the op or showing my own ignorance. Why is it that most people who believe in evolution and I do, say that humans as we know them evolved 6 million yrs ago. I thought it was humanoids that evolved 6 million yrs ago. Humans as we know them evolved somewhere around 50 thousand yrs ago ( upper Paleolithic ) as Cro-Magnon. And this is what we are! (If you want to say you’re a homo erectus or a
Neanderthal go ahead, its your call not mine!)

So if someone from Texas says were only 10k yrs old. Given the time frame of any generic timeline that is a lot closer than saying humans as we know them are 6 million yrs old.
I am looking at this as if everybody has it wrong. But religion is closer to the truth than science.

Also with the kt boundary. Most people believed all species died out at this time. But mammals, birds, reptiles survived. I know these were probably animals of small stature but who is to say some species of a dinosaur ( what did birds evolve from?) could not have survived into at least say the lower Paleolithic epoch. ( 1 to 2 million yrs ago) Which would put it in the same time frame of the earliest humanoids.

This is a really interesting subject for me and I would have like to seen less cowboy bashing and more science. But then again everybody is ignorant is some way.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm not being funny but, there's soooo many films/cartoons/art that depicts man & dinosaurs together

Kids growing up in the 70's 80's "Flintstones era" "When Dinosaurs ruled the Earth (1970)"

its not surprising to find that way of thinking..

you ask any state in any country anywhere and the results would be ambiguous.

The idea of cavemen fighting dinosaurs is splatterd through adverts film cartoons you name it.

its a bit of a silly Poll.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ignorance - lack of knowledge, education or awareness

What isn't defined is, by whose standards this is measured. In this thread, it seems ignorance/intelligence is determined, solely, according to whether one person (or collective) agrees with another person (or collective). On the subject of education, isn't that relative? While one person may consider himself/herself to be "educated", because they have studied a particular topic, more than someone else, this is no measure of ignorance/intelligence.

I would venture to say the overwhelming majority, who have disparaged rural Texans on this thread, would fail an examination on animal husbandry, agronomy, horticulture or agricultural systems technology. Think about that, the next time you bite into a tender 'New York strip', 'Chateaubriand' or 'filet mignon'. What about those fresh vegetables?

Can everyone, please, stop with the elitist contempt for the proletariat? It really is ridiculous and you only succeed in showing your own "ignorance".

As far as the argument over the educational standards of Texas, here are some stats, from www.ers.usda.gov... for 2000:

The first figure is Texas and the second is the U.S.

Percent Not Completing High School 24.3 / 19.6
Completing High School Only 24.8 / 28.6
Completing Some College 27.6 / 27.4
Completing College 23.2 / 24.4

Hmm. It appears we are right in line with the rest of you, so why don't you step down off that high horse and embrace your fellow human being? After all, that Texan is, quite possibly, responsible for feeding your family.........You're welcome!

One last thing. When the proverbial excrement does hit the oscillating blades, I'll be sticking with my rural Texans and you just see how long you last with your self proclaimed "intellectuals".

[edit on 23-2-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
...68% DO 'believe'...

...38% of Texans AGREED!!!!!

It is misleading to use the words "DO" and "AGREED", when the actual questions contained the phrase "Which of the following statements comes closest to your views..." The wording of the questions is what is used to skew the results. "comes closest" is not an absolute, but is summarized as such.

NOT bashing on a particular state,

So, why mention Texas in your title, rather than use the actual title of the article?

Some paraphrasing, for dramatic effect,

So, drama was your goal? Deny ignorance.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Meh that explains the funny laws of Texas

Most states have some weird, dumb, or funny laws. Texas has several of them. They are aimed at everything from trains, marriage, and ranching, to encyclopedias and alcohol.

One funny law in Texas determines what happens when two trains meet at a railroad crossing. Both trains must come to a full stop, and neither one shall move again until the other is gone. There must be a lot of trains sitting at railroad crossings waiting for the other to move.

Most of the United States has repealed prohibition. However in Texas some weird laws regarding alcohol still exist. In some places taking more than three sips of beer while standing up, is illegal. Make sure you have a chair handy in case the authorities happen by.

If you plan on visiting Texas for a hunting trip, pay careful attention to the laws. You may not shoot a buffalo from a second story hotel room _ You need to go down stairs before you can shoot the buffalo.

Texas passed a weird law aimed at reducing crime. Criminals must give a 24-hour notice to their victims explaining the nature of the intended crime. The notice may be either written or verbal. I mean WTF?

An additional funny law in Texas restricts reference materials. The State of Texas has banned the entire collection of Encyclopedia Britannica because it has a recipe for making beer at home.

Ranching is serious business in Texas, but even this noble profession has a dumb law. You may not milk someone else’s cow. If your neighbor asks you to watch their livestock while they are out of town, just say no. It’s illegal.

Motor vehicle operations have some dumb laws also. When driving in Texas, windshields are not required, but windshield wipers are. You may as well go ahead and install the windshield so the wipers have something to do.

Marriage in Texas has its own dumb law. Introducing a person as your husband or wife three times publicly can mean you are legally married. Be careful what you say in public, you never know whom you may end up married to.

Although thanx to Texas we all got the library of Bush ' isms. Always grateful for that!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Oh My Gosh,

WHAT HAVE I WROUGHT????

(rhetorical, of course....but still, thanks too all the contributions...a fabulous discussion, and very interesting...)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pumpkinorange

NOT bashing on a particular state, in the USA here....

But bashing Christians? Is this what you intended instead?

I think the sooner we can educate people to a point further then "dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time..or i dunno" the sooner we can move on and be one step closer to where we should have been a long time ago as a society..i know the south isn't regarded for its' smarts but c'mon..

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
OK, I'll wade into here a bit. I am a Texas "Carpetbagger" ( google it fool) I moved here from Michigan 4 years ago. ( got here as fast as I could Doc and Lemon)

My wife says Texas is "another planet" In some ways, I agree, One thing I will say out loud and proud; Most Texans WORK.

the level of education in Texas, well depends on whether you want "book " smarts or "life" smarts. they take care of their OWN here. not "cut you adrift" like in the North.

I live in the Concho Valley ( it's HUGE ) and yes I have smart friends and dumb friends. and BOTH will help you out of a Jam, no questions asked.

Gnarly Bikers dudes in leather Jackets say "howdy" on warm summer days waiting on the light to turn as you cross the street, up North they look at you like you're insane if you say hello and don't know them.

Maybe to some of you US Texans aint that bright, but then they do say ignorance is bliss.
To me Texas IS bliss.

I found the very First church that was NOT sanctimonious when it came to other religious beliefs. Up North it was always "they are wrong we are right" in churches

I went around the world 3 times in the military been to something like 20-25 countries around the world, there is No where like Texas on the planet that I have seen so far ( qualifier )

We have more and less at the same time but we WORK, I know many that have 2 Jobs, and 4 or more children. ( which is why they have 2 jobs )

Someone called Texans "sheeple" that is to laugh really, Most own a home and don't give a rats hiney if the world falls away. they live off their own land, Ruggedly and don't care about the rest of you, and why should they, you aint helping them either. ( nor would they accept it if you tried)
Most of the Texas "sheeple" are in the more metropolitan areas, the "real" Texans live on ranches and farms and are to busy WORKING to live to worry about dino's or who is what in the rest of the world.

Yes Texas has it's share of crazies, yet we have the ROOM for craziness, MILES AND MILES of room. I can stand outside my place and not see a light for miles, and see stars I never knew I could see.

Truly Texas IS bliss

spelling Edit done by "wife" (< the girl in the Orange mini)

[edit on 23-2-2010 by thedigirati]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonwalk420

Originally posted by pumpkinorange

NOT bashing on a particular state, in the USA here....

But bashing Christians? Is this what you intended instead?

I think the sooner we can educate people to a point further then "dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time..or i dunno" the sooner we can move on and be one step closer to where we should have been a long time ago as a society..i know the south isn't regarded for its' smarts but c'mon..

Look up Glen Rose Dinosaur State Park in TX. I would say close to 75% of Texans have been there at least once.

There are dinosaur footprints there.

And there are human footprints as well. Both footprints are on the same rock level and some even overlap.

Also might want to look into the Ryal's Footprint . . . discovered by a TEXAN (damn those idiot Texans!)

Explain those please . . . then we can move on.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Yep . . . Texas has some strange laws, as do most places in the world.

Luckily, they are not followed lol

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Nice to see you taking it light hearted
. I was expecting a barrage of attacks...am I still on ATS lol?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Nice to see you taking it light hearted
. I was expecting a barrage of attacks...am I still on ATS lol?

Stupid laws are one of my favorite things to read heh heh.

And I understand that Texas has quite a few, but you also mentioned that other places have them too.

They are funny no matter where they are from.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

Knock off the insults and "personal" commentary.

You will be Post Banned.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

These emails are always cute and funny, but mostly untrue. None of those you mentioned are Texas laws.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati

Someone called Texans "sheeple" that is to laugh really, Most own a home and don't give a rats hiney if the world falls away. they live off their own land, Ruggedly and don't care about the rest of you, and why should they, you aint helping them either. ( nor would they accept it if you tried)
Most of the Texas "sheeple" are in the more metropolitan areas, the "real" Texans live on ranches and farms and are to busy WORKING to live to worry about dino's or who is what in the rest of the world.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by thedigirati]

Yeah I agree with that, and if you go through those large cities and their surrounding suburbs, you will see these sheeple at their finest, with their street cameras and toll roads and all. These people don't realize it's starting to look like the UK.

The Texas metropolitan areas are rampant with dumb down political churches.... pay your dues move along..... Hell if you had those sun glasses like Roddy Piper had in that movie They Live, you would spot herds of sheeple in the city.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by imitator]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

When did evolution become hard fact?

Is it not still a theory?

Not to deflect my own thread....but this deserves some clarification.

Would help when people go and study the definitions of "theory", versus "hypothesis" (I put those in reverse order, on purpose).

When you research, you will understand why.

To paraphrase your query, "Lemon.Fresh" ---

"When did gravity become a hard fact?

Is it not still a theory?"

Getting my point, here? I hope so....

Did not see this, and did not mean to ignore it, sorry.

I am glad you brought that up.

The hypothesis that an amoeba turned into a fish turned into a monkey turned into a caveman turned into a human can be tested just as much as a deity calling man into existence . . . i.e. not at all.

[edit on 2/23/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join