Media Manipulation Illusion Example

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+20 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I found this photo on moillusions .

I don’t know if these shots were taken from an actual photojournalism, or were they just used as a theoretical example, but either way consider this a pretty powerful demonstration. See for yourself how our our perception can be easily shaped, and manipulated with by the media. I believe it isn’t necessary to explain this optical illusion. Photos speak for themselves. Imagine you worked for an administration that wants you to show how soldiers have no mercy when it comes to war. You would use the cropped picture on your left in that case. However, if you worked for the other side, and wanted to depict soldiers as human beings, you would crop the right part of the original photo. There you have it! Such powerful example amazes me, but in the same time scares the sh*t out of me. Which makes me think, should we be more skeptic to stories medias bombard us with?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That's an awesome example of how they can sell any point of view that they want you to believe.

There's three sides to every story.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Good post, starred and flagged and immediately brought this to mind:

There is a technique of double meanings..... For example, the September 11 WTC demolition... is described as 911.. Everyone in the US dials 911 in an emergency. That the attack was on this date, gave it a double meaning. When there is a double meaning, it becomes difficult to think only about just the demolition of the WTC on 911... because the emergency number you dial is nine one one, plus you are constantly subconscously reminded of this...(repetition of an idea is also hypnotic) what this accomplishes, in the mind, is stress, more stress than if the date was 910... and if there is enough induced stress, you will stop thinking.

Which is the point.

Do not think. When you stop thinking and just do what you are told, or beileve exactly what you are told,,

you have been hypnotized.

This is one (of many) covert hypnotic techniques.
Another that is realted is called The Confusion Technique... which is similar to techniques that s taught at the School of the Americas.. LINK

[edit on 22-2-2010 by seataka]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Which makes me think, should we be more skeptic to stories medias bombard us with?
[

I don't think I could be anymore skeptical.
Same thing with words.
They cut out there words they want, leaving anything said before or after.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Great post. This is such a great example because people will easily be able to come up with the meaning themselves; as opposed to having every concept considered and written out for them.

On a tangent I'm watching a rerun of lost with my girl. I truly believe that shows like this were made simply to make people completely retarded. I have never seen anything nearly as cliche. The mind will become more complacent the more you let it.

Struggling to understand is the only way to strengthen understanding.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I recently made a thread regarding the same picture, that you can find here: Media manipulation

Sorry, not trying to call you out. Just sayin'..

The thoughts I put out there, parallel the ones here. I feel like Im already so skeptical when it comes to CNN and whatnot...I mean, what are we supposed to believe??

Seems like everything has it's own spin these days.

To quote my thread:

If there is a market for you, then there is a misdirection for you.

If there is a misdirection to evoke emotion in you, then there is a way to CONTROL you.

This is all just another means of control.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by seataka

Everyone in the US dials 911 in an emergency. That the attack was on this date, gave it a double meaning.

When there is a double meaning, it becomes difficult to think only about just the demolition of the WTC on 911... because the emergency number you dial is nine one one, plus you are constantly subconscously reminded of this...

I did a thread about that awhile back.

911 telephone number traced back to 1968
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Other interesting facts about 9/11

Calendar of the coptic egyptian martyrs begins on Sept 11 at sunrise

pentagon groundbreaking ceremony 9-11-1941

[edit on 22-2-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
this is only an example of cropping, which is 1 of 100s of tools in photoshop, think of what else there could be.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

Agreed.

Heck. Even in "Forrest" Gump (mid/end 90s) they made Kennedy say words he never said, with proper lip movement and all.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I "woke up" a few years ago. This photo brings the point home of why I take anything the media puts out with a grain of salt, it's getting to the point where they don't even try to hide their biased agenda. The "brain washing has already affected some, I mean for example look at the reaction Fox news gets.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It may be a bit off topic, but I took my daughter to see Sherlock a few weeks back. I was absolutely disgusted by the BS national Guard comercial they played before the movie. It played just like a movie too...all special effects and heroes and glory. WTF? Way to cram it down the throat ot impressionable youths. Yes its scary, yes you should be skeptical. Everything mainstream media is cropped and shopped for your viewing pleasure. They even synchronize the TV shows to relate to the news....how do they know whats gonna be on the news? Fabrication, lies, lies , lies.....and more lies.....right in your face.....

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

An unedited photo is worth 1000 words.

S&F.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but you have presented here nothing but an example of photo cropping. Perhaps that technique is new and unknown to you, but it has been around since the invention of the camera itself. It is part of the trade of photojournalism and editoring.

And of couse, evidently out there still awaits for you the discovery of the incrdible world of "photoshopping"?

And, yes, of course any of these techniques can and will be used for nefarious purposes

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher
I found this photo on moillusions .

I don’t know if these shots were taken from an actual photojournalism, or were they just used as a theoretical example, but either way consider this a pretty powerful demonstration. See for yourself how our our perception can be easily shaped, and manipulated with by the media. I believe it isn’t necessary to explain this optical illusion. Photos speak for themselves. Imagine you worked for an administration that wants you to show how soldiers have no mercy when it comes to war. You would use the cropped picture on your left in that case. However, if you worked for the other side, and wanted to depict soldiers as human beings, you would crop the right part of the original photo. There you have it! Such powerful example amazes me, but in the same time scares the sh*t out of me. Which makes me think, should we be more skeptic to stories medias bombard us with?

Your last line: "Which makes me think, should we be more skeptic to stories medias bombard us with?"

is what struck me.

I would answer, YES! Of course you should be skeptical of mass media! They are the vehicle of all propaganda and if you don't think so, just take a little journey down memory lane and into the archives of ABC,NBC,CBS, TIME National Geographic ,Popular Mechanics etc etc etc and all the rest and you will see directly what was being presented to the people during say, ww2 or Vietnam and now that much is declassified, you'll be able to actually compare what lies were being told against what the real story was.

Be wary of any and all new pieces that deal with discontent between your country and another. I guarantee you, the other country is being painted as evil or wanting to do you harm.

Be wary of any news item that deals with a war your country is currently in. I can guarantee you that you are not getting the whole picture delivered.

Be wary of any article that deals with the Israel/Palestine question because now you are dealing in doubles and triples of propaganda. No story can be trusted in regards to the middle east situation.

Seriously, this is common sense. We all would like to have a message we can trust, but that has never been the case and will never be the case as much as we may wish upon a star.

Unfortunately, teh world really is a hard and ugly place and our governments and military forces do hard and ugly things to ensure that we remain comfortable, fat and ignorant.

BUt now that the rot is affecting the core of our society, we will see a rip in the fabric here and there. The tatter will indeed grow if not remedied quickly. And when I say no one is fixing the tears, I mean it. NO one is.

Obama for instance has not ended the war in Iraq. He has remained status quo with it.

7 years after the start of the war in afghanistan, we are still routing a bunch of filthy mongrels now and then?

It took less time to stop Hitler's huge war machine! Are we to believe that some filthy beggars in caves have been draining our economies of billions to fight them? It's ridiculous all the way through!

You, me and everyone else involved is being lied to in an effort to reform the entire planet and bring everyone under one boot heel all at the same time in the name of peace and happiness.

In reality, it is about control for a very small elite group who wish to remain monarchs without actually telling anyone they are the king.

Be aware.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
As a photographer/imager there are many tricks of the trade that are less obvious to the layman....

Perspective: A High perspective is viewed as being more honest. A low perspective photograph seems less honest ( Snake in the grass)

Colour: A major tool in emphasising a point...eg....Saturate the part of a photograh you want to make the viewer see first. ( Light camo is the good guy, Dark camo the bad)

Warm colours to make us view the intended focus point, or sharpness, again to draw us to a conclusion.

That is why so many of the true icon images are in mono (BW) or sepia. they are what you see, not what they want you to think you see.

Respects

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
F'd and the S.

I don't disagree with your point whatsoever.

But, about this photo ...

I understand why the "manipulation" (if you want to call it that – I'll call it appropriately cropping an image) was done. In the photo the man that is being detained is clearly no threat to the GI's in the picture. They're giving him water. The soldier standing next to the detainee (with his knee in the picture) is not holding the gun. Another soldier behind him is holding the gun. It's not pointed at his head. In fact, if the gun were to go off, the round wouldn't even hit the detainee. It's being held in a safe position. I can tell by the way the M4 is being braced by the secondary hand.

The crop in the photo was correct.

Had the gun been intended to cover the detainee - perhaps intentionally pointed at his head - then I could understand someone calling a crop like this "manipulation" ... this however, IMO, is not the case.

EDIT: To clarify ... I agree that media manipulation is a constant and vile thing ... however, I think you present a bad example using this image. If the un-cropped image had been used as an example of brutality or cruel treatment of detainees, then I would argue, as I don't believe this image shows that. It's just a bad angle.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by tyranny22]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
What a co-inky-dinky.
The photo on the LEFT is from MSNBC.
The photo on the RIGHT is from FoxNews.

To get an accurate account of the truth, you need to channel surf and hit multiple sites on the web, as represented by the photo in the middle.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
That photo was from a textbook I think, I thought I remember seeing it in one I took a long time ago on the media. The unit talked about context and manipulation.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This is a great example of the simplicity it takes to manipulate. It reminds me of a photo of George W. Bush supposedly giving a speech in which there is a background of troops which is composed of multiple crops of the same group of US troops.

images.google.com...:1&sa=1&q=doctored+us+troops+bush&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&start=0

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Values_Truth]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

While on topic with the thread, it is not about the original photograph, but still relevant.

It is about another photograph altogether, an important one, you might say.

I was home schooled for high school and we had a guest speaker come one day.

He was a photographer, Cecil Stoughton, and he brought many photo's with him.

One in particular had a story to go with it, it was the one he took, of Johnson being sworn in, after the J.F.K. assassination, with Jackie Kennedy standing next to him.

Remember, if you know the story, Jackie Kennedy cradled J.F.K.'s head in her lap.

Photo Courtesy of Cecil Stoughton on Antiques Roadshow

Cecil Stoughton on Antiques Roadshow

This was on Air Force One and the reason why this story stuck with me will become clear soon enough.

His editor bitched, complained, and screamed at him, when he originally took the photo.

The reason?

Because Jackie's dress had blood and brain matter splattered all over the front of it.

The editor did not think they could use the photo as it would have been devastating.

The photographer told us he recommended that the editor crop out her dress.

Now, remembering the story, I cannot tell you why the editor did not think of this, unless he was new, upset because of the incident, or just plain stupid, I forget.

But think about that photo and the times you've seen it where Lydon B. Johnson was sworn in, and how it might have changed your mind, about the conspiracy, about the official version, and about the Government in general, if the editor had not edited that photo to crop out the blood and brain matter?

You sure might have thought differently I assure you.

I know knowing this particular story I've always thought differently.

The power of editing, cropping, and selectively showing imagery is powerful.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join