It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kangaroos suffering from Fluoride

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Kangaroos near an Australian factory are suffering from weird deformations caused by fluoride released from the factory. You know fluoride, that harmless additive they put in your water to protect your teeth...

Roos victims of factory fluoride

SCORES of starving and pain-ridden kangaroos have been culled after developing tooth and bone deformities from breathing and ingesting fluoride emissions.

Many more are believed to be suffering from growths that will kill them.

The affected kangaroos are living near the Alcoa aluminium smelter in Portland, in the state's south-west, and the Austral Bricks factory at Craigieburn.

Autopsies performed at Melbourne University on 49 kangaroos culled at Alcoa on a single day last year found all but one were suffering from flurosis, which leads to excessive bone growths, or lesions, on joints in the paws, ankles and calves.

It can also cause tooth and jaw deformities that hinder eating and foraging.

The Sunday Age has been told more than 200 ill kangaroos living near both affected sites have been culled in recent years, but this figure could not be confirmed.

The Environment Protection Authority was first warned of the effect of fluoride dust and fumes on kangaroos living near the Alcoa smelter in 2005, although lameness was detected in some animals grazing there as early as 2001.

Jenny Charles, associate professor in veterinary pathology at Melbourne University, said research had found that up to 90 per cent of the roughly 130 kangaroos living at the Portland site had some form of flurosis on their teeth and a quarter had visible limb lumps.

Dr Charles said autopsies on Craigieburn kangaroos showed lower levels of fluoride in their systems, but the effects of flurosis seemed to be worse. Other foraging animals may also be affected.

Read more: The Age AU

Makes me glad my place uses well water.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If i were in your place, i'd have your well water tested just for the peace-of-mind, One does not really know what stuff leaks into your particular aquifer from above the well.

over here in S Carolina, USA, we local residents may send samples to the Clemson University for a proper analysis.

that fluoride is a real killer....in my case, i regret being lazy on more than one occasion and filled my 'Lucky Bamboo' vase with local tap water...
water well known for its extremely high content of fluoride.

any how, 3 months later, two bamboo survived, another curly-que bamboo died along with 2 baby sprouts.

sad to hear about the kangaroos....
but, what about the rabbits over there? are they getting mutated too?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
In the UK we have it bad with Sodium Fluriode. I have posted a thread of it on my profile check it out for more information. I do not like what the government have been doing to us since the early 1940's but it sure isn't fair on animals and humans.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yet they still try to tell us in the article that its safe for human consumption...

I am sorry to tell you this, as I can see that you obviously like rabbits, but they are not natural to Australia, and are destroying our land with their burrows etc. It would be good to cull them to the point of nonexistance here in Australia.
I am sorry if this is upsetting, I dont mean it that way, but they really do a fair amount of damage over here and it needs to be fixed (the bunnies suffer from Mixo here really badly as well).
Edit***Rather sad really as bunnies are cute little fellas..

[edit on 22-2-2010 by The_Seeker]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Flouride emissions? What a strange concept. Considering the country's health and safety regulations I have to wonder how there came to be emissions in the first place.

Next I would have to wonder about the health of employees at those two sites.

Then I would have to wonder if my state's leader would read this information, because she sure as hell isn't interested in any of the anti-flouride in water material that I have emailed to her in the past year... dragonlady is going to poison us even though we don't want it!

As for water from wells, if in your country a particular poison called Tordon (sp) was used to kill trees for the past 200 years, then the underground water is already tainted. This poison quickly leeches into the ground and then into the water table, it had and still has widespread use.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Makes me glad my place uses well water.

Don't count on it for too long. Worldwide our aquifers are drying up. So many of our natural resources have been squandered, mismanaged and are near depletion. Government is beginning to take over what was once run by private utility companies. I imagine it will all be globally regulated very soon. That is a good move toward being able to herd people into specific areas for the new Agenda schedule.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Here is the science behind it:

www.bioone.org...

The specific problem of lameness was addressed with bone histopathology, radiography, quantitative ultrasonography, microradiography, and multielement analysis of bone ash samples. The significant lesions observed were: osteophytosis of the distal tibia and fibula, tarsal bones, metatarsus IV, and proximal coccygeal vertebrae; osteopenia of the femur, tibia, and metatarsus IV; incisor enamel hypoplasia; stained, uneven, and abnormal teeth wear; abnormal bone matrix mineralization and mottling; increased bone density; and elevated bone fluoride levels.

The date on it is Jun 3 2005.......

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
it's always sad to see these pollutants having an affect on wildlife, even roo's.
the two hundred or so affected roo's is still a far cry from the twenty five million or so that live in australia or the two million odd roo's that are being culled every year.

I'm guessing that flouride is a lesser worry than some of the other worse chemicals that are being pumped into ground water around these type of sites or the quality of air or dust being breathed by anyone or thing nearby. Not much is said about those others either.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
So first Alcoa shafted the aboriginals out of their land, and now they're shafting the Kangaroos!

I was in Portland with my school (school camp/excursion) in 1978/1979 when the aboriginals were protesting at the plant. They were treated poorly. All their banners etc were slashed by the hired mob... yet the aboriginals were made to look like the bad guys.

We got out of the bus and talked to them. They were wonderful people and we couldn't help but share in their despair.

It was evident back then that nothing good would come of this place. It appears the aboriginals were right all along!

IRM

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
But i thought there was a "scientific consensus" that flouride was good and safe! oh wait, thats just more b.s. pushed on us by dentists who are being paid by the companies that produce flouride as a byproduct waste.

Well i guess we actually get the clear picture of how harmful flouride can be, but i think TPTB will keep pumping it into our drinking water regardless.

new topics

top topics

join