It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyder Flare possibility?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

The 'Great Magnetic Filament' on the sun that we've been tracking for the past week finally erupted yesterday.
Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) images bracket the eruption between 0719 and 1919 UT on Feb. 24th. The event did not produce a bright solar flare, as sometimes happens when filaments erupt, but there was a coronal mass ejection (CME). SOHO coronagraphs observed at least one and possibly as many as three clouds billowing away from the sun:

spaceweather.com...

So no great Hyder flare. CME's yes.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't think the CME's are headed towards earth. Although the people over at STEREO (Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory) say that we may get a "glancing blow" by one. Nothing to be concerned with. Just more pretty lights for the people of the arctic circle to look at.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

OH, SNAP! The 'Great Magnetic Filament' on the sun that we've been tracking for the past week finally erupted yesterday.

Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) images bracket the eruption between 0719 and 1919 UT on Feb. 24th. The event did not produce a bright solar flare, as sometimes happens when filaments erupt, but there was a coronal mass ejection (CME). SOHO coronagraphs observed at least one and possibly as many as three clouds billowing away from the sun: movie. If any of this material is heading for Earth--a big unknown!--it should arrive on Feb. 27th or 28th. Arctic sky watchers should be alert for auroras on those dates Source

Should be interesting come the 27/28th, I am already interested at the fact The Sun is showing signs of life.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on the Hyder Flare.

GIF Animation of the CME

[edit on 25-2-2010 by NotAgain]

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here's your possible hyder flare: It's the largest filament ever recorded I believe www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ReinkDuser

Something to keep our eyes on. Can you give a link to where you heard it is the largest filament in recorded history. Thanks. Didn't see it on spaceweather (unless I'm blind, entirely possible!)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

A physicist told me this when she sent me the link. I estimate that 400,000 km is nearly 11.5 times the size of the Earth!

Here's an article on ATS about it. www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-12-2010 by ReinkDuser because: add link

<< 1  2  3   >>

join