It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyder Flare possibility?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just checking out spacewether.com this morning and I came across this article which has me concerned about the possibility of a major hyder flare occuring sometime soon. The picture is just amazing. Could this be the "big one"?
Visit the link for the full article..

Link: spaceweather.com...

NASA spacecraft and amateur astronomers alike are monitoring a staggeringly-long filament of magnetism on the sun. It stretches more than a million kilometers around the sun's southeastern limb:

As this movie shows, the filament has remained mostly stable for at least two days. However, similar filaments in the past have been known to collapse, and when they hit the surface of the sun--bang! A tremendous explosion called a "Hyder flare" results, sometimes rivaling the strongest flares produced by sunspots. Solar physicists have not yet learned to predict Hyder flares, so we cannot estimate the odds of one now. Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Very interesting. Never seen this phenomenon before. Worth keeping an eye on to see what happens!

Wonder what the records show for these occurring in previous years?

g

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Man, thats a huge one... " sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov... " Nerver seen anything like that in my years watching the soho pics... Cant wait for updates.. Good find!
Star n flag !

[edit on 22-2-2010 by skekke]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is a bit scary never seen one before and its coming round to pointing at us if it happen's could it harm us or electronics.

I hope Phage pops in he's always got a good answer to things like this very interesting and a bit scary too thanks for posting S+F.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

Just informed Phage about it, on another thread....

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

I don't know what is scarier, the potential for the flare itself or this...

Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.

Don't they have professionals to monitor developments?

I guess the more eyes the better.

[edit on 2/22/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
London bridge is falling down...

A new one for me. From what I can find, a Hyder flare is not particularly worrisome, tending more toward the optical (light producing) side of things rather than anything else. However, in September of 2000 there was a Hyder flare which seemed to be associated with a pretty large CME. Six days later there was a large geomagnetic storm but with that much delay it's unlikely that it was a result of that particular event.

[edit on 2/22/2010 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Thank's for poping in Phage just found this on Hyder flare's

Generally Hyder flares are not associated with energetic particle emission or geomagnetic storms (implying that they may not be associated with a coronal mass ejection). However, this is not always the case, as a large halo CME observed by the LASCO solar coronagraph on board the SOHO spacecraft was most definitely associated with a Hyder flare (2N/M1) observed on 12 September 2000. This same complex also appeared to have produced energetic protons at geosynchronous orbit with energies in excess of 100 MeV, and in substantial numbers at energies of 10 MeV. It is believed that the sudden storm commencement observed at 0450UT 15 September, and the subsequent minor geomagnetic storm was produced by this particular CME.

Its long so just quoted a little.
LINK www.ips.gov.au...

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Certainly not much information on the Web at all about hyder Flares. did find this though -

the Hyder Flare was named after 'Dr Charles Hyder'

Obituary: Charles Latif Hyder, 1930-2004

Charles' interest in solar prominences and flares led him to study the physics of in-falling plasma in solar active regions and the production of the so-called "two ribbon" flares associated with active region prominences

adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hopefully this is not a harbinger of things to come. Out of all the doom and gloom predictions massive CME s worry me the most and imo are by far the most likely to happen . I do not wanta hafta revert to a pre- industrial age/mad max lifestyle , nor do I want to use sunscreen SPF 2000.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

CMEs do not cause an increase in UV radiation. You don't have to worry about that at least.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I wonder if this could be related to the CNN power/cyber outage simulations series that was aired Feb 20-21? Preparing the masses for what is to come? Even though we have amateur astronomers and independent scientisists, I am quite certain that they do not have the same technologies and assets as NASSA and other government agencies. Ahh that's probably just the conspiracy theorist in me talking.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

It will be interesting to note that www.spaceweather.com has lost its feeds of current SUN data from SOHO. The last images from SOHO were at 22:22 UT on 2/22/2010. This is very odd. Someone doesn't want us to see what's heading our way.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by datahound1

It will be interesting to note that www.spaceweather.com has lost its feeds of current SUN data from SOHO. The last images from SOHO were at 22:22 UT on 2/22/2010. This is very odd. Someone doesn't want us to see what's heading our way.

OMG dont tell the dude that made the 02/22 thread. If he saw that a giant sun anomaly was forming and just happen to no longer be shown to the public as of 22:22 on 2-22-2010 he would probably flip! That thread would blow up.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Latest from GOES

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Looks like that thing is almost pointing directly at us. Yikes :-0

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see how long this thing lasts and if it really does collapse. If this thing lasts long enough to get into position, collapses and sends one too us, I say our Star is a conscious entity that is screwing with us.

But nonetheless it'll be quite interesting to see how things play out. I love watching our Star.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
reply to post by mars1

Just informed Phage about it, on another thread....

Are you kidding me? This crap has got to stop. What is phage to you, like mr. google? Can you not use a search engine yourself? As you can see below...

Originally posted by Phage
A new one for me. From what I can find...

Notice he said "from what I can find" meaning he had to look it up for himself. This is not a rant about phage or anything, this is just me pointing out how idiotic people are. Seriously, stop paging other members to do the work for you and look your own $hit up.

Anyway, regarding the OP, good find S&F. When it comes to the sun, and any sort of flares what so ever, it's always good to be knowledgeable. Technically any day a huge flare could wipe out communications across the globe, or it may be 2012... who knows?

The thing is watching over things of this nature are not a bad idea, nor a bad hobby to have - just don't get preoccupied hoping the world will end or something, because it seems many people have been going crazy wishing something horrible will happen to humanity lately... well something more horrible I guess because every day on this hell hole is killing us, but maybe some day we'll figure out how to treat our planet, and one another with love and light... wishful thinking?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
strange that so many in such a short time dotted around... no? 11:32 *MAGNITUDE 5.6 EARTHQUAKE AT CHIAPAS, MEXICO, USGS SAYS 11:20 *MAGNITUDE 5.6 QUAKE REPORTED AT GUATEMALA, USGS SAYS
10:54 *MAGNITUDE 5.5 EARTHQUAKE AT KURIL ISLANDS, USGS SAYS
10:38 *MAGNITUDE 5.1 EARTHQUAKE IN WESTERN IRAN, USGS SAYS

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

OH boy....again with the Phagemania?....

Phage wasn't even aware to the fact that large fluctuations in the Sun's activities can cause earthquakes on Earth, among other facts he wasn't, or still isn't aware of.

Anyway, I just read the report about the very long filament of magnetism on the sun which could cause a massive Hyder flare at spaceweather.com. I came here to check if this was posted.

Normally the larger of these events peak in intensity within 30-60 minutes and last only hours.

This one has remained stable for two days and it streches more than a million kilometers....

This event is definetedly something to keep an eye on.

I am not sure what will come of it, but this is certainly the largest type of this event we have witnessed.

IMO this is linked to the fact that more radiation, plasma, interstellar dust and other charged particles are entering the Solar System, and the Solar Sytem has been moving into a new region of space which is highly magnetised.

This of course affects the Solar System, the Sun and every planet.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Yes i can find thing for myself its that he knows alot more than me funny that there isnt much on Hyder flares on the net.
There is no harm in asking for help from another ATSer that's what makes ATS better than some other sites.

THANKYOU

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join