It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Midday Nap Markedly Boosts the Brain's Learning Capacity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Midday Nap Markedly Boosts the Brain's Learning Capacity

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (Feb. 22, 2010) — If you see a student dozing in the library or a co-worker catching 40 winks in her cubicle, don't roll your eyes. New research from the University of California, Berkeley, shows that an hour's nap can dramatically boost and restore your brain power. Indeed, the findings suggest that a biphasic sleep schedule not only refreshes the mind, but can make you smarter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
As the weekend has ended and monday is now apon us I feel like I would like to just go home and just take a nap. I was thinking back of when I was going to school and about half way though the day I would want to take a nap so bad, my eyes were slowly closing, and my attention span was getting less and less. Not that getting sleep is nothing new to helping memory but I was just thinking about how nice it would be to be able to take an hour nap after luch to help restore my mind.

After reading some posts today it seems like alot of people need some extra rest for so many problems that we face today. So don't forget to get a little extra sleep to help restore your brain power. Have a great day! and don't foget to take a nap!

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Lately I've just been sleeping until I want to get up... I'm a night owl and typically stay up to 2-3 am.... I normally get out of bed between 10am and noon...

Ever since I started doing this, I'm happier, more rested, and much more creative...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

HunkaHuna, I threw away my alarm clock 5 years ago, thinking that
sleeping 8 hours or more would be good for me. To my surprise,
getting rid of that thing relaxed me so much that I now wake up
fresh and ready to tackle the day with just 6 hours sleep...which
is the same amount that I was getting with the alarm clock. The
freedom of not being controlled by an inanimate object good for
the soul and well-being. For me anyways...

But, I do take a 20 minute afternoon nap 3 or 4 times per month.
Usually right here at the computer. Any longer than an 30 minutes
and I wake up cranky for some reason. The article which started
this thread seems to be right on target. Brief catnaps are indeed
refreshing.
-cwm

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I absolutely love taking naps, when I get the chance.

Unfortunantly, if I take a nap longer than 20 minutes I don't sleep well that night.

Next time you are at work or school and can't get a catnap, try drinking water. I read an interesting article that claimed lack of water causes people to feel lethargic.

After reading that article, I upped my water intake during those sleepy periods....and it worked!

Of course, it could just be that all those extra trips to the bathroom is what kept me awake.....

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you for the info smyleegrl. I will try and up my water consumption.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

YES..DITTO! I started drinking more water too. Squeeze some lemon
extract into a big jug and watch your brain alertness increase even
more. Lemon and also Baking Soda are marvelous for increasing
your blood PH toward the alkaline side..which makes you sharper
and more energetic.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yes, true.

I'm up around 5-5:30am. Am fresh, alert, brilliant til about 10-11:00am, at which point I become fairly retarded. Then I nap. I don't come back 100% but I'm definitely not as stupid as I was before I slept.

Is there a petition somewhere for regulating mandatory siestas in the USA? The tradition of closing up shop to nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon is the one undeniable mark of a truly great civilization. No matter what the capitalists might say.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Yes, true.

I'm up around 5-5:30am. Am fresh, alert, brilliant til about 10-11:00am, at which point I become fairly retarded. Then I nap. I don't come back 100% but I'm definitely not as stupid as I was before I slept.

Is there a petition somewhere for regulating mandatory siestas in the USA? The tradition of closing up shop to nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon is the one undeniable mark of a truly great civilization. No matter what the capitalists might say.

I wish there was a petition soficrow I would be one of the first people to sign up
and I agree that "the tradition of closing up shop to nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon is the one undeniable mark of a truly great civilization." thanks for the post

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Trudge]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Im gonna start sleeping during the day for a hour or two after reading this. Im at university so this is perfect for me!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Lately I've just been sleeping until I want to get up... I'm a night owl and typically stay up to 2-3 am.... I normally get out of bed between 10am and noon...

Ever since I started doing this, I'm happier, more rested, and much more creative...

I actually did this for awhile...because I have a job that allows me to do this...and I didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong...I love staying up late and I love sleeping in...but for some reason I never felt fresh throughout the day. I find that if I force myself to get up early and get moving early...I am much more fresh throughout the day. I have no idea why...and I'm not saying it is the wrong way to do it...I just think everyone has their natural "wake up" time. And unfortunately my natural "wake up" time is early...but my natural "go to sleep" time is very late.

But I do think I will try this 20 minute nap thing...right after lunch sounds about right

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

Dont buy the hype, this is a conspiracy so that the govt can install a microchip in your body while you sleep in public. j/k

Anyone who takes an afternoon nap knows this and its a great idea. I'm really surprised that more businesses dont allow for a nap period and room for people to get one in.

The key to these naps is to NOT sleep past that hour mark. An afternoon nap can easily turn into, "I went to bed at 5pm last night", if you're not careful.

Great post! Star & Flag for me and all the other sleep deprived.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
HAH!

If all it takes is a mid-day nap, then the Ticket Collectors in our Toronto Transit Commission must be some of our best thinkers of our time!

Anyways, since my high school days, I've napped for a few minutes after getting home from school then, and work now... But sleep usually only around 5-6 hours in a night. I'm always refreshed, and good to go! But if that catnap turns into a snooze, watch out.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Great thread, I always knew naps were good.

Back when I worked at a fast food restaurant, all of my co-workers knew of my famous 25 minute naps that I would take on my 30 minute breaks. After those naps, I was always ready to finish that closing shift nice and strong!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Interesting story! I love a midday nap!

Fortunately for me (as a truck driver) they actually encourage it here now as part of fatigue management. One company I know of even issued a written warning to an employee for banging on a sleeping driver's cab as a joke to annoy him!

top topics

join