It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugo Chavez demands Queen returns Falkland Islands to Argentina

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We're not "laying claim". They're ours and have been inhabited by british people for over 2 centuries. The population currently stands at over 3,000 people, made up like so:

61.3% Falkland Islander (British Citizens born on the Island's)
29.0% British
2.6% Spaniard
0.6% Japanese
6.5% Chilean & Other

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Some people say we want oil.

I beg to differ.

You have revealed the real motivation of any future Latin American conflict.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The people of the Falklands chose which government they want. It's called democracy. Something Chevev would not recognize if it bit him in tha ass...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think Chavez is a good person, I mean, everyone should be against imperialism ... ENG wont be able to attack ARG in any way in my opinion

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
I think Chavez is a good person, I mean, everyone should be against imperialism ... ENG wont be able to attack ARG in any way in my opinion

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Faiol]

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. The UK has the #5 military in the world. That includes the best SF in the world. Logistics wouldn't be a problem. Plenty of Commonwealth nations in the Caribe.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Plus Ascension Isle and St Helena! We did in 1982 with half a mothballed fleet. We can do it now even easier as our Amphibious capability is actually a damn site better. Argentina would be whipped silly.

And for the dude you were quoting, it isn't England!!! We're the UK damnit and that includes Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland!

[edit on 22/2/10 by stumason]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Oh, just in case anyone else wants to lay the blame of "colonistion" on the English, most of the people from the Falklands are primarily of Scottish and Welsh descent, same as the all over the Empire.

The English themselves rarely got involved in the whole colonising business and some of the biggest proponents of empire in British history have been Scottish and Welsh ministers, PM's and Lords.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
2 simple points ...

1) Until the Argentinians give their land back to the indigenous people we will NOT hand the Islands over ...

2) Until the people of the Falkland Islands decide that they do NOT want to be British anymore, then we will NOT hand the Islands over.

and for any of you UK or should I say, English bashers in the U.S. ... would you please tell me if you would be prepared to bugger off and hand your country back to the Native American Indians?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by soundgeeza
and for any of you UK or should I say, English bashers in the U.S. ... would you please tell me if you would be prepared to bugger off and hand your country back to the Native American Indians?

I think you got the wrong thread dude. No one is bashing the UK here. Maybe you should read a thread before you add to it. It will make more sense then.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I stand by what I say ... I think perhaps YOU should read the thread FULLY!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Oh, just in case anyone else wants to lay the blame of "colonistion" on the English, most of the people from the Falklands are primarily of Scottish and Welsh descent,
reply to post by stumason

There are SHEEP there, thats why
.. And penguins for the more kinky lol..

Seriously though, having first hand experience of serving there myself, the troops stationed there know the island very well because of the relentless long range patrols.. So are familiar with all the nooks and crannies.. Then you have the islanders themselves who are hard working hard bastards and are VERY useful in a fight

Not to mention the fact that the troops are already battle hardened warriors with plenty of combat experience under their belts in cold mountainous countries like Afghanistan... The guys would send them home in boxes in no time...

They know this... We know this... So we should just ignore them but have our eyes wide open...

Besides.. I may be in Israel but am still liable to be called up for duty in the British Army... And my knees hurt in the cold lol.. My back too... Poor me... But would answer if called.. But in this case... I don't think it would be necessary...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I stand by what I say ... I think perhaps YOU should read the thread FULLY!

OK but you really are making the education system over there look bad when it comes to reading comprehension.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I don't understand why you have to be so condescending... is this what ATS is all about ?? ... I thought that I'd join up for some informed discussion, but maybe it's all about trying to look like the big guy...

I'll wait and see....

Thing is ... me and you ... we're singing from the same hymn sheet with regard to the topic in-hand. I agree with ALL your posts apart from your personal digs at me.

Shall we just leave it at that and carry on?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Just a thought for those who suggested that the UK has friends who are very powerful with big guns- so do Argentina! And the big difference is that Argentina's mates aren't fighting 2 simultaneous wars on the other side of the world (3 if you add pakistan). I certainly don't want any fighting to come of this dispute- but if it did, i have to say I know which side my money would be on.

Also- just because the majority of people on the island want to remain British is not good enough. I could get all my pals with big guns and take over the Isle of Man, until those on my side were in the majority. But, hey, would anyone think I was within my rights to keep it?!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Argentina NEVER ever wanted to claim the Islands until it came to light that there MAY be oil there. In actual fact, the FRENCH have more of a claim over sovereignty, but yes, it DOES matter that the Islanders want to remain British.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Oh, just in case anyone else wants to lay the blame of "colonistion" on the English

errr ... I say, stumason old chap. Any chance you could possibly put an 'a' in your "colonistion" ?

I read it and immediately thought of an upcoming prostrate checkup

I'm not normally a grammar or spelling nazi, but that one made my eyes water.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BabyMD

Pray tell who are these saviours???

You are having a laugh... Do you not even realize that the UK can turn most of South America into an ashtray at anytime???

Not too mention the superior abilities of our troops..

You need some Columbian coffee baby medic

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Argentina NEVER ever wanted to claim the Islands until it came to light that there MAY be oil there.

Never ever??? ever never?

So 1982 was a nice island get together for the lads of the UK and Argentina?

From what I hear every so often there is a small sort of movement in Argentina about their claim to the islands - usually someone in the government trying to get some popularity going from all the accounts I've heard... None of the public are really interested in the islands at all - the govt and the general people just don't seem to be tuned into to the same station most of the time.

This time round is being taken more seriously by either side for well...
1, for the obvious drilling platform turning up,
2 the same old same old and
3, I really think old Gordon Brown has grasped at this one with both sweaty hands for a bit of easy popularity... I think he may of been poking the argies buttons on the issue this time round! - Oh those emotional Latin types

edit - I should really proof read - but I was enjoying a classic Walls Magnum choc ice

[edit on 22/2/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It would only need the public announcement of an RN Submarine cruising in Falkland/Argentinian Waters to put paid to any Argentinian Military ambitions of the Falklands.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Never ever??? ever never?

So 1982 was a nice island get together for the lads of the UK and Argentina?

Now Now ... Don't be like that!

They knew about the oil even back then!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join