It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ModernAcademia's Law of Recursion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I would like to create this law, I hope this is the proper area for this topic.

It seems that we are no longer allowed to use history as a foundation for not allowing history to repeat itself. I am opposed to this!

Hitler was a horrible person, we should never allow people like that to come to power again
The Nazis held too much power and influence, we should never allow that to happen again

So ModernAcademia's law of recursion is a law who's sole purpose is to destroy Goodwin's law.

Just as people overused the nazi regime and their crimes against humanity as analogies people are over using goodwin's law.

If we never want another Nazi/Fascist regime to come to power why shouldn't we use history as a set of references?

Can we no longer use Goodwin's law anymore?
You do know it's not really a law right?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ok so we forget goodwins law which as I agree really is'nt a law altoghter but with or without it people will still call anyone whos opinion they dont like a nazi.

Might I point out there are far worse characters in history than Hitler so I never understood this idea that he and his followers where the most evil people of all time.

If we can stop people pulling the nazi card out like some fine china to try and beat down any discussion that does not conform there ideas and start using it in its proper context then yes I think we can stop using goodwins law.

Do you beleive not using goodwins law will make people use the nazi term it in the correct conetext.

The Nazi's held no more power than goverments do today its how they used that power that was the problem.

Bringing up Hitler we might as well bring up Stalin, Moa and a whole host of others who where worse and in power for even longer.

As for not allowing it again we let it happen all over the world with despot rulers and power mad men ruling countries across the globe, so we have let it happen again its just that these countries dont have the military might or are just waiting for the right time to make there move.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Interesting concept.

Can we expand from just people playing the nazi card, to people playing the race card?

Have to admit that one is "slightly" overused - especially related to criticism of obama.

And what about the "Jewish" card? Seems like we can't have a thread about Israel or the middle east without someone attempting to make it into an anti-semitic thread.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
Do you beleive not using goodwins law will make people use the nazi term it in the correct conetext.

No I don't think so
I also don't think Godwin's law ever compelled anyone to use nazism in proper places either.

Originally posted by jpmail
The Nazi's held no more power than goverments do today its how they used that power that was the problem.

Yes but also the approach to fascism, not only power.
Stalin also often servers as a good reference.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Can we expand from just people playing the nazi card, to people playing the race card?

Personally I think these are two seperate topics and need to be dealt with completely differently.

Have to admit that one is "slightly" overused - especially related to criticism of obama.

There's way more one can criticize Obama on
If someone uses the race card then they are anti-obama for the wrong reasons.

And what about the "Jewish" card? Seems like we can't have a thread about Israel or the middle east without someone attempting to make it into an anti-semitic thread.

Anti-semitism is racism, i'm sure mods would reprimand racism properly.
Criticizing Israeli foreign policy is not anti-semitism.
Anti-zionism is not anti-semitism.

Actually it's the anti-semitism card that should be dealt with, that card is way overused!

top topics

join