It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help identify paranormal photograph!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This picture was taken by my mother roughly 20 years ago. It was taken in the basement library of a mansion that used to be in my family long ago. I remembered seeing this picture as a kid, and had her find it, scan it, and e-mail it to me.

I can 100% verify that this picutre hasn't been edited or tampered with in any way.

Yep. Its just as I remembered it. Semi tranparent books flying down a stiaryway. There weren't any pictures taken the entire time of books open like that so, where did they come from?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10d138adb2d3.jpg[/atsimg]

The picture was taken with your average camera 20 or so years ago. Not sure the make or model.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Blender]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to make of it. They look like books, but if you hadn't mentioned that they are books, would I have seen them as well?

Was this picture taken because the photographer saw something on the stairs? Or did the 'books' only show up after the photo was developed?

Do you have a larger image of it?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
They do look like ghostly books. Could be a reflection. YOu do have a window right there, can you remember what type of window it was?
Not much to add other then I am loving that stairway. How beautiful.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I will have to ask her, but I think she was just taking a picture of the staircase, just going throught visiting the masion taking pics. She didin't see anything there. As far as a reflection, there was no glass or anything reflective between her and the staircase. There are more books in the room that she is standing in taking the picture, but they are all on shelvs.

The reddish one behind the other two barley even looks like a book, it looks more like a bird or something. Trust me there were no birds flying around in the basement

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Would someone look about 1/4 of an inch up, and to the right of the top of the white lampshade. What is that on the railing? It looks similar to a hand but doesn't appear to be ornamental.
What is that?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Blender

Hey there Blender ... very busy picture ... great staircase ... the books remind me of 'Fantasia' because they look like they're flying ... I can hear the music in my head now.

Woody

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I find this extremely fascinating. I love books, old buildings, and unexplained phenomena. Add to that that I just found a free online books website and while browsing titles (can't browse by author) I saw a book called the Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley. Never heard of it but I bookmarked the site for later reading. I came back on here to see your post in the recent posts forum. Not saying it means anything, but it seems strange to me, considering your photo seems soooo unusual, I mean usually ghost photos have human shapes or non descript shapes, not BOOKS! I will be watching this thread for further developments.

Also, do you know much about the history of the mansion? Was there bibliophiles who lived there? Are there any bibliophiles in your family? Just wondering about the whole book thing there. Does anyone live there now? Can you talk to them if there is someone there? See if they experience anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I will find out what I can, maybe I can have her send me some more pictures of the mansion. All I know is that my grandfathers grandfather was some type of banker and he either purchased or had built this mansion in Iowa. He lost all his money in some bogus stock scam. so I assume he sold the manson.

Last my mom heard of the house is it has been turned into a bed and breakfast. I'll give my mom a call and find out some more info tonight. Maybe I could try to contact the B&B and see if anything strange has gone on.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You can see a blown up version of the picture here in my profile photos.. Can't figure out how to get it to embed properly.

media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=list_photos&album_id=11643

The closer you look the weirder it looks. One definatley looks like an open book, the other two I don't know.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ccf7ae7db90f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4d52bf816c0.jpg[/atsimg]

Just to the left of the railing... Hey I'm just sayin

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
double post.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
PLZ remove this thread.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I don't think those are books. I didn't even see them as books until I read the text.
Just a reflection. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blender

Hey Buddy, not too worry, I saw it too! (And it's hand,
) Why would you remove the thread? It's interesting. If I'd had the photo, I would have put it up too.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Asked to remove this one because I posted a better one with some closeups.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I dont think so Blender, no face. Its just pattern recognition, we see expected patterns and familiar things where we expect to. Like saints faces in timbre stains. Even babies are shown to recognise patterns, especially faces or face shapes.
I think its just shadow.
The 'books' I can't explain, I guess the folk reading them as they walked down the staircase simply didnt appear.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm inclined to believe it is a fake image. An old picture? Maybe. The EXIF data in the image could have been messed with, or it could in fact be an old picture.

Also, those books look more like fat birds. The books are flying vs falling. even if you threw them down it wouldn't stay so perfectly open like that.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDudle
I'm inclined to believe it is a fake image. An old picture? Maybe. The EXIF data in the image could have been messed with, or it could in fact be an old picture.

Also, those books look more like fat birds. The books are flying vs falling. even if you threw them down it wouldn't stay so perfectly open like that.

All I can tell you is that the picture is genuine, its sitting at my mothers house as we speak. It wasn't altered in any way.

I called her and asked her if she still had that picture with the flying things I remembered seeing in one of our family albums as a child. She dug it out, scanned it, and sent it to me, and I immediatley posted it here.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayaboveitall
I dont think so Blender, no face. Its just pattern recognition, we see expected patterns and familiar things where we expect to. Like saints faces in timbre stains. Even babies are shown to recognise patterns, especially faces or face shapes.
I think its just shadow.
The 'books' I can't explain, I guess the folk reading them as they walked down the staircase simply didnt appear.

Yeah, the face I outlined was a stretch I know. I don't think that it is a ghost or anything.

top topics

join