It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you block a camera from working

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Not even sure, if this is where I would post this, but here goes.
Is there a way, that you could use a device, that would block a camera from working (Not trying to bypass security cameras) simply would like opinions on if it is possible for example to block the wavelength of a still photo.
I have thought of perhaps something that would bathe the subject being photographed in a white light spectrum thus rendering the photo useless or perhaps something that would change the wavelength of the subjects face/body in such a way that it wold be blurred, I am aware that this could have criminal use,but am more interested in your thoughts if it is possible.
I guess the biggest problem, would be creating a device small enough to be worn, yet powerful enough to block the picture, WITHOUT harming the subject using it.
Too far fetched?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NetStorm

I am sure there is a way to Jam anything you want... I know there is a way to Jam video feeds, I just dont know how to do it.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
maby a very small EMP device perhaps . It might also wreak the camera and would have to be close , but thats all i can think of at the moment.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I only have experience with the cable/coax type wired cams....that said.
The place I worked had some things on the property the required federal inventory and known location, and condition of said item.

On occasion one goes mad from boardome and decides the new game is to by-pass security , so that person could look at the stars or even catch a smoke sooo... the game started.

After many failed attempts, this was a known amongst all employees, NO reasons other than, the Boss said if anyone can get by the security, and prove it to me ...they get a raise..yeah right.....

Finally, a friend introduced me to some really small very powerfull.."Rare Earth magnets" carefully place a few of these in the right places of (info flow) along the coax/feed line, and the closer you get to the monitoring devise the more of the cams went uhhh... to some other form of gibberish, not white screen, or fuzz, but not viewable at all.

But hey I got a twenty five cent raise, and was aloud to catch a smoke for the week or two I did it and filmed it...needed, enough proof, and to be able to do it on command.

Caution, if you are not used to being around, magnets of this strength, they are not toys!
Let two get too, close together and holy snikeys...pray your skin is not in the path!

Anyways you get the idea.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
wireless cameras can be screwed up with frequency emitters...however they are quite illegal to have for obvious reasons.

wired cameras are extremely difficult. If it was easy and legal, every security shop on earth would be selling em with the guise of "privacy".

aka, thieves tools

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Infrared.

It will show up as a bright white flash. So if you were to place IR LEDs around the place you were trying to avoid being filmed you'd be good to go. I know this works with digitial cameras, unsure about a traditional one. I would assume it would work with it.

The idea is that the IR spectrum although invisible to our sight, is seen by the camera. The IR spectrum being of a stronger wavelength than the visible light spectrum will actually drown out the visible light underneath it.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Have a look... You could make one of these easy and cheep...

CCTV Busting Infra-Red Headset Makes You Invisible

Although it's usefulness is questionable - to my mind it would make you stand out even more to a CCTV operator (if there is a human watching that is) - But it's a good proof of concept, and to the person passing you in the street, they would not actually notice anything too odd.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do but perhaps you can build an array of infrared LED's and use some reflective tape to do the job.
Infrared signals, though not visible by the human eye, can actually be picked up by analog and digital video cameras.

I've seen some hacks from people constructing projects using infrared LED's and placing these on the rear license plate, basically overexposing the image of the plates and keeping them from being read by the traffic cams.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You can destroy camera (CCD) by laser pointer - my guess is 20mW is enough. Few days before I saw one 600mW beast (called Hercules I think) - with this pointer mounted on tripod, you can destroy CCD from few hundred meters hence unobserved by camera. I have verified this because on one party laser destroyed LCDs in our video projectors (LCD and CCD are very similar in basic function). Also I verified this on some UK activist page.
Strong magnetic/electromagnetic field or smaller EMP can affect/destroy unshielded cameras.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad

That's a good idea but that's vandalism.
Do you really want ATS to take the heat for this, should the OP decide to go with your suggestion?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Shoot the lens with a laser.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The laser is a good suggestion, if you don't mind destroying the camera. Also, there is a spray "paint" you can use. I don't remember the name of it, but it's designed to hide your license plate from traffic cameras. It goes on clear, but on a traffic camera it shows up as a blur of light. It's expensive, though. As I recall, it was over $100 a can.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Yes that's called high temperature engine/exhaust paint (or in fact just about any aerosol paint
) - There are 2 methods, one spray your face so the camera can't see it - or spray the camera so that, well it can't see you.

Both are dumb ideas, one is illegal.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Place a piece of paper in front of it.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by zeddissad

That's a good idea but that's vandalism.
Do you really want ATS to take the heat for this, should the OP decide to go with your suggestion?

Depends on situation. Sometime is vandalism in public interest. OP asked how to disable camera and I answered. Similar as if somebody ask me how to kill person. I'm just sharing publicly available information (and bit of my personal experience).

If you ask me about my opinion about CCTV cameras in public space which ARE NOT accessible by public then I must say that I fiercely disagree with such cowardly technology. It is maybe month or two ago when study on efficiency of police CCTVs in UK was presented. 4.5 million cameras helped clear up 1% of street crimes. So CCTVs are inefficient, expensive and do from our world one big Panopticon . But that is just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
As stated in other posts laser light will work. You can buy small class IV lasers over the counter. You would need many to cover a 360 degree area at say 20 degrees vertical and therefore a battery pack on a belt. The range you need is 850nm to 1300nm (iIR) and you want to use a pulse driver to retain as much battery life as possible. The diffusion system should be narrow bandwidth at 10 to 25 degrees in a 360 degree pattern to send the laser light above the heads of the people around you at camera locations which are generally 15 to 30 feet above you. The pulse width of the laser emitters should be controlled in such a way as to account for the relaxation time of the CCD in the cameras, meaning when hit with the iIR light the perceived flash will be retained for xxxx milliseconds before you need to fire another flash. This also works with toll road cameras when firing from the license plate area.

One thing to remember is that focused laser light can damage retinas through retinal heating, therefore any use of lasers should be confined to areas where retinas will be out of range for potential damage. Never direct laser light towards anyone's eyes!

I don't suggest doing this, but there's your answer as to how it can be done. One note however, if everyone is wearing brewster window sunglasses, you limit potential damage by about 99.5% and only have to deal with scattering effects (secondary laser radiation) towards retinas from the side, top or bottom.

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 2/22.2010 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Infra red LED's, or a laser pointer, or a ski mask.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Criminals are always looking for ways to commit crimes. They get smarter the technology has to grow. The bigger it grows the smarter they get. It's always been this way for them to learn how to disable the law and steal. This sounds no different. You want to stop cams on the road? Then fight like a man with other men to protest your rights being violated and taken away. Or you got no respect AND no rights!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
A diverged infrared laser of sufficient power will do the trick for most electronic cameras, even those with infrared filters. 850nm wavelength is about right.

For devices such a Gatso speed cameras, a slave photo flash in the rear window will flash back at the camera when it flashes and prevent it seeing your number plate.

EDIT: Just noticed others have proffered this...

[edit on 22/2/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZenaV
Criminals are always looking for ways to commit crimes. They get smarter the technology has to grow. The bigger it grows the smarter they get. It's always been this way for them to learn how to disable the law and steal. This sounds no different. You want to stop cams on the road? Then fight like a man with other men to protest your rights being violated and taken away. Or you got no respect AND no rights!

At first I was gonna let this slide....but

First off, you DO NOT know me, nor do you have any idea what my intentions are nor the use I am looking for
Second, I do NOT break the law nor do I need to steal, nor feel the need to do so.
The intentions for this idea (though I do not really have to explain to you ) are benign and FOR privacy, something you a lot of people here seem to be interested in.
So before you go and judge someone, take a loooonnnnggg look in he mirror. When you find no fault in your self, then and ONLY then can you judge, and criticize.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join