It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENTERTAINMENT: Death For Harry Potter in Last Book?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Could this be possible? Harry Potter dies?

From the incredible author J.K. Rowling has came a series of books that have more than captivated millions and brought reading back to many children and adults. Could the final chapter in the Harry Potter series spell death for the young wizard?

Daniel Radcliffe, who stars as young Harry Potter believes that is the case...

MSNBC.com

LONDON - Harry Potter may never grow up. Daniel Radcliffe, who stars as the daring schoolboy wizard, said Friday that Harry may die in the last book of J.K. Rowling's magical series.

"I'm going to be really unpopular for saying this about Harry, but I've always had the suspicion - with everything that's going on - that he might die," Radcliffe, 14, told a news conference to promote the third film of Rowling's series, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Rowling has remained silent about the fate of Harry in the seventh and final book. But with each new installment, Rowling reveals more connections between the character and his archenemy, the evil wizard Lord Voldemort.

"Harry and Voldemort have the same core in them, we get to see that in the fourth film," Radcliffe said. "The only way Voldemort could die is if Harry dies as well."

Voldemort was responsible for the deaths of Harry's parents and left the young wizard with the distinctive zigzag scar on his forehead.
The pair have similar powers - including their wands and their fluency in Parsel - and Voldemort has been unable to kill Harry.

Please visit the above full report link for the full article.

I have seen times when my children have waited for the mail man to come with the next copy of a Harry Potter novel and watched them wait in lines at book stores for others. I have seen them spend hours reading and enjoying it beyond words.. and I have even read them myself.

In spite of the darker and somewhat disturbing aspect of the Harry Potter series I believe it has been good to have our children reading these novels and exploring written fiction. But could J.K. Rowling be planning the unthinkable? The death of Harry Potter?

Even though a fictional character I think my children and many of us have come to know this young man. and I have to wonder what the impact of this would be.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
i can only say...i certainly hope so.

i really dislike this book series, its concept and the fact adults LOVE it.

the only thing good about the movies are the special effects. but i like special effects in general.

let him die...and stay dead! none of that comic book hero type return crap either please!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Reading is important, so if these books have people reading, that's a good thing. Potter dying? My son will be peaved, to say the least.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
No, they can't kill the "golden eggs goose" so quick.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Looks good on him.
I've never read the books, but I never really got into the movies that I saw, either.

Seriously though, characters in books die all the time, it shouldn't be a big deal.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Reading is important, so if these books have people reading, that's a good thing. Potter dying? My son will be peaved, to say the least.

ok you do understand make more that just harry potter books right?

i didnt become an avid reader when i was a kid because of harry potter...who didnt exist when my parents encouraged me to read.

sorry a book or even a series doesnt make or break ones love of reading.

its great that people read but is it because they were instilled with a love for reading or because of a certain book? and it doesnt do much if a person only reads harry potter or only enjoys reading harry potter books. there's a lot more to literature than one book character.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I agree completely with Intrepid. The Potter books are getting kids away from their video games and reading again. I also like reading the books with my girls, they are much more interesting than the "the little engine that could."

I hope Rowling doesn't whack poor Harry though, my kids are likely to pull a "Misery" on her.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Very true, PM.

It's great that people were reading Harry Potter, but there are plenty of excellent books out there, and I can't imagine if one liked reading harry Potter, they wouldn't enjoy other books with similar themes. They are out there, Harry Potter just seemed to get popular.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I was brought up on, Lord of the Rings and War of the Worlds, thats proper fiction....

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Lest we forget, this is the last book of the series.

So, dead or not, he's still gone. The books are still there for reading regardless.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hell, reading is ALL we had when I grew up. But there is so much more today to distract the kids from it. If this series brings them back, well done. My son has an anticipation for the next book, that gives him a passion for reading. That is something that I am grateful for this series and something that will be with him for life.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think the whole issue is that this series of book gainned an amazing popularity toward childrens, something rarely seen before, lots of parents engouraged their childrens to read them (seeing how popular they were), and now, the stories get darker and darker, and now there's the chance of a twisted ending with the main character possibly dying.

I don't have any kids, but I can see why some parents would be a little worried, if nothing else.

ANd that is, even tho I know there's other books out there.

Some of you don't seem to realise how big this whole affair got over time. Now lots of parents are gonna wonder if they should have let their kids read this, maybe they wouldn't have if they knew everything were gonna turn so dark and Harry was possibly gonna die. I don't know, whatever, it was just my opinion.

I can understand tho how uninformed people might see this as "hey, no big deal"

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Its not wether or not he dies, its HOW its portrayed that needs to be adressed.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I don't see that as a problem. I read things like LOTR at my sons age, a lot darker than H.P. That reminds me I also read HP Lovecraft as well. Besides he's 14, no prob.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Let's hope so, although I doubt life gets that good.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Why on earth would you want harry potter to die? Seriously, if thats something that would "brighten your day" you really need to find better things to do with your time.

I've read the series so far, and I've noticed that as the books go on, they become a little darker and mature with each book. In the 4th one, a kid dies, and in the 5th one, sirius black dies.

It would be sad if harry died, but hey kids have to deal with death. Its a real thing. Maybe Rowling is writing the books in this fashion to try to teach kids to cope with death. Just a thought.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
We can't know for certain until the original seven books are completed.
This was on CNN in March ...

Harry Potter may be set to grow up. Writer J.K. Rowling hinted Thursday that she may not stop at seven books about the adventures of the young wizard and may write a further installment featuring the adult Harry.
Post-Hogwarts Potter A Possibility

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
lol
ITS A FICTIONAL CHR HAHAHA

dude I will admit I almost cried when Darth Vader is dead!

Maybe he wont die, his balls will just drop,eh?

We'll nevah forget you!

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
Why on earth would you want harry potter to die?

You mean you feel offended because you read those stupid books when you could be reading something far better, well ok.

I want him to die because it'll put an end to these rediculously crap films that are being adapted from it, and especially an end to the most wooden actor that ever lived in that brat that plays him in the films. "I..I..ii...I'm a what?" I wanted to cry. If you got a plank of wood, drew hair on it and put on it a pair of glasses you'd get a better performance, and I don't want to hear this "He's just a kid" crap.

There are some great films out there with some wonderful child actors, including actually in those movies themselves. Apart from that ginger kid they are all cringe worthy, and I don't think kids should be exposed to trash.

Just think we'll have to put up with summer hype for years about the next flick bearing Mr Wooden himself, at least now there's an end in sight. That is why I wanted him to die.

P.S. He's actually not real, I hope you're aware of that. So wishing him dead isn't actually a big deal as he doesn't exist to begin with, maybe you ought to get over yourself.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by John Nada]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Apparently he was chosen because he was closest to Rowling's own visualisation of HP.

As long as she doesn't kill the Cornish Pixies, she can do whatever she likes with the other characters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join