It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pediatricians call for a choke-proof hot dog

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Pediatricians call for a choke-proof hot dog

www.usatoday.com

About 17% of food-related asphyxiations are caused by hot dogs.

"If you were to take the best engineers in the world and try to design the perfect plug for a child's airway, it would be a hot dog," says statement author Gary Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. "I'm a pediatric emergency doctor, and to try to get them out once they're wedged in, it's almost impossible."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Is this how far we have evolved as a species? That we need to put a warning on every common food item?

Why not just consider the hot dog "phallic", and therefor, adult in nature?

No, really, though. Who asked these people!? Do they realize how idiotic they sound??
Seriously, stories like this are why every other country in the world laughs at and ridicules us.

am I the only one who feels this way? What is going on here?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
So, it's been suggested to me that we should just tattoo a few general warnings to newborns...

"Do not insert small objects"
"Do not fold into stroller"
"Do not drop"

Then idiots will have the constant warning in their faces, instead of the rest of us needing to endure a warning on every single thing we buy/use.

Ah, hell. I will just consider it Darwinism at its' finest. Let's not put a label on anything for a few years, and simply let the bad genes weed themselves out from the gene pool.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
This is the progressive mindset at work see it for what it is. They must save us from ourselves they will stop at nothing until they are in our houses and also in our health care. We can not let the doors open.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Key words being "childs airway". Maybe you shouldn't feed your children that crap

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If you choke on a hot dog, its a sign you need to chew your food more thoroughly and take smaller bites!

I've choked on my share of foods. The sheer terror of something in your airway preventing you from breathing. its not a good feeling.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I fail to see how a hotdog is any more dangerous than any other food. Surely, you put the same amount in your mouth and chew before swallowing, regardless of what it is? I'm pretty sure I can fit the same amount of burger in my mouth as hotdog.

We're surrounded by them, I swear!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I would like to seem some of the contenders for the new anti-choke hot dog.

I wonder what the winner will look like too.

*Perhaps some genius will make a hollowed hot dog with no skin. Or would that be too easy?

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
But it's not really the Dr that started it. A lawyer started it and was upset because a kid died and the parents were not properly warned of the dangers of feeding their childern. So the parents are basically saying I'm too stupid the feed my children

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Hotdogs are already made of enough crap.

I could only imagine what extra chemical goodness they'd need to add in order to make is "choke proof"

As someone already said, why would you want to let your kids eat that junk in the first place..?

[edit on 22-2-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Hey... they better not not start messing with my hotdogs or they'll be messing with with me!
Leave the H-DOGG alone man!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

As someone already said, why would you want to let your kids eat that junk in the first place..?

Can you not imagine even a single reason?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I wish they had hot dog warnings when I was growing up ... wouldn't need an eyepatch now.

Plus some folks do strange stuff ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f4502b4275e.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyhoot, tip waitress, try veal ... I'm going back to sleep.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I wish they had hot dog warnings when I was growing up ... wouldn't need an eyepatch now.

Plus some folks do strange stuff ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f4502b4275e.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyhoot, tip waitress, try veal ... I'm going back to sleep.

I love this pic!
I don't know how you got one of me eating a hotdog, but well done! lol.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I can't believe the stupidity of parents lately.
You would think they would teach a child to eat (one bite at a time) and not to breathe the damn thing in.
But these are the same parents that hand over a hotdog and allow the child to run around with it instead of being seated to eat.

I guess next we will have to have choke proof banana's.

cheers PQ

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
17% ! Some statistics are fascinating. How are those numbers gathered ? Do they send back the death certificate "it's incomplete sir, what is the cause of the asphyxiation, hot dog, pizza, chicken ?"

100% of food-related asphyxiations are caused by ingesting food. It's time to consider outlawing it. Well, at least for the uneducated people, it's too dangerous for them, we have a duty to protect them.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manouche
100% of food-related asphyxiations are caused by ingesting food. It's time to consider outlawing it. Well, at least for the uneducated people, it's too dangerous for them, we have a duty to protect them.

LOL!!!! Thank you for the much-needed laugh!!!

This thread started with me being pissed, and now it's just hilarious. Really, though. I just cannot believe whoever thought this stuff up, is being serious!

But if modern people are this stupid that we must protect our 'weakest link' at all times, how do we make it so that ALL food is choke-proof? Because this is the only logical answer.

Really - All food, or no food. I will still go with the suggestion of warnings tattoo'd to every newborn, so that the rest of us don't have to worry about warning labels or new regulations stating that all food must be blended finely before ingesting.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Makes me think of a line from a Rush tune:

"Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves"

We as a society really have gone off the proverbial deep end, haven't we? Ridiculous stuff like this makes me think so.

Makes me wonder why don't we have any laws against these horrific hot dogs that are choking our nation. We do need more laws as we just don't have enough on the books as it is.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Oh please this has nothing to do with a progressive mind set. Stop being such a knee jerk conservative.

As it may be however the whole premise is absurd. How are we supposed to make something designed to be chewed up and eaten choke proof?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Heard a sociologist one time say that, "Stupid people are a relatively new experience. Back in the day the sabertooth tiger ate the stupid ones, and the rest got an education.". Ok, that's it for my humor today.

The greatest conspiracy we face today is the lawsuit conspiracy. It permeates all of our world. My ladder has warnings on it that make me laugh every time I read them. And OSHA would have us keep both hand and both feet on the ladder at all times...and what work with my teeth?

My garage door can't close if it's snowing hard. My electrical sockets can't let me put a test probe in them. I can't build a model airplane because the glue could be used to kill brain cells...ad infinitum.

Wish I had all of the extra money I have spent buying products that have been made safe for my use.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join