It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Alices Cookie didnt take me to Wonderland. Stop telling people to avoid medication!!!

page: 23
<< 20  21  22   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

a) A psichiatrist is someone who helps you to change your thinking and redirect your thoughts.
b) At no point has a researcher actually proved, through the chemical analysis of either brain fluid, or the brain of a recently deceased person, that depression is actually caused by a hormonal imbalance. At least not that I'm aware of. If I'm incorrect please point me to the actual research which has done this kind of chemical analysis (the only way to verify the claim that this is the cause of depression).

As far as I see it depression is caused by people being unhappy. Most often because we live in a society in which there is very little emotional support from our fellows, and a great deal of strain is placed on us emotionally. It is very hard to cope with our modern day society, as evidenced by the ever increasing number of people with depression, and on antidepressants. If depression was trully caused by a hormonal imbalance, as you claim it is, how is it that these number are increasing?. The only way for this to be the case would be if some pathogen was causing the hormonal imbalance. If this was the case then it would seem that the proper course of action would be to remove the pathogen, rather than mask it's effects... but I digress.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by renegadeloser
reply to post by OzWeatherman

a) A psichiatrist is someone who helps you to change your thinking and redirect your thoughts.

This may very well have been true 20 or 30 years ago, but no longer.

As far as I can tell, psychiatry has gone over completely to nothing more than the prescription of drugs to control behaviors.

This is particularly the case with regards to the elderly in nursing homes. As a Long Term Care Ombudsman, I found it impossible to obtain psychiatric care for elderly patients who merely needed someone to talk with about their difficult experiences.

There is simply no longer any time for this within the current medical paradigm.

What is worse, the only psychiatrist that I was capable of finding who was even actually involved in psycho-therapy would not accept any kind of insurance from either Medicare, Medicaid or any other insurance provider; in which case the elderly are required to make a choice between, for example, food and drugs for depression.

Enter the pharmaceutical companies with their need to acquire the ENTIRE budget of the United States.

Michael

<< 20  21  22   >>

join