It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Alices Cookie didnt take me to Wonderland. Stop telling people to avoid medication!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+90 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This first part is an open statement to those people that are telling other members to not take their medication or who are recommending that other members do not trust their doctor or mental health care proffesionals:

STOP IT!!! IT IS COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE TO DO THIS. YOU ARE NOT PROFFESIONALS IN THIS AREA, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DICTATE WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD BE TAKING AND YOU MAY BE CAUSING OTHERS HARM AND IN SOME CASES, THEIR SUICIDES....SO STOP IT PLEASE

I simply cant fathom the kind of thinking that goes through peoples thoughts when they stand up and claim that anti-depressants are bad for people. Before i get crucified for speaking out about this, I have recently just come off anti-depressants after a whole year. I for one, am much better now, and my depression is completely gone.

Most of you dont understand how depression works. Its not something that can be changed, unless you some how have the bizzare ability to somehow regulate the hormone levels in your brain. The best way the we know how to change the hormone imbalance effectively so far is by using drugs, combined with psychiatrict counselling. (Obviously here Im talking about chronic depression, not short bouts (short bouts are less than 2 weeks in medical terms))

For those that think they may have this, please consult a doctor, or mental health care proffesional. If you are unhappy with the diagnosis get a second opinion, it always helps. If you begin treatment with anti-depressants and they have major side effects or are making you worse, get back to the doctor and explain whats happening, do not under any circumstances simply stop taking them. There are many alternative medicines available and sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to find which one is right for you.

Another important thing is not to trust the advice of others, especially those who claim how bad medication is. Some people simply will refuse to take there medicine and assume that all medication is in some way bad. The fact is that many of these people may have even been misdiagnosed, and not even have clinical depression, hence the need for getting a second opinion and the need to get back to the doctor and investigate an alternative.

So please people, stop speculating that because you had a bad experience, that all anti-depressants, pharmaceuticals and doctors are evil and make you worse off. By recommending that people take your advice over a mental health care proffesional, you may be doing more harm than good.

For more information on depression:

www.depression.com...

[edit on 22/2/2010 by OzWeatherman]

+48 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If people were smart enough to do their research and figure out what the pharmaceutical companies are actually capable of I'm sure they would stay very far away from medication. I'm one of those people who does not take any form of medication. I bet that if someone would have switched out your medication with sugar pills and you did not know about it, you would still be cured now. You are cured now because you cured yourself through your thoughts and mind! Now im open to your arguments but because i am very open minded but from the years of research i have done on many diffrent things, i see your argurments as holding very little truth.

+22 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by (C2C)

This is the exact kind of thing Im talking about. Someone that is ignorant to the fact of the capabilities of medication, simply because you are self absorbed in some kind of conspiracy theory behind the pharmaceutical companies.

I did not cure myself through thoughts and mind, I battled through 5 years of it before I got proper help, thoughts didnt help me there at all, and it wasnt until I started taking medication and started seeing a psychiatrist, that I got better.

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Nobody is stopping you, we are inputing our own opinions, to make debates, which keep these threads going. Sometimes you have to listen to your own body instead of the doctor. There are a lot of great doctors out there. But there are some docs who don't give a # about you, only their money.

My family doctor to treat my mild aniexity when my cat died, gave me Effexor XR, He said to steadily increase the dose. It took only one pill, and I felt that my body didn't need that crap. Something told me inside that I shouldn't be taking Effexor XR pills. So I didn't take them, and 3 days later when I focused on happy positive relaxing thoughts. I felt that I was happy and I was full of smiles. The doctor may know more than I do. But I know more about my body than he does.

Besides I took a look at the back of all the side effects it had, and I found it would do more harm than good. I was like holy crap it's only mild anixiety here. There's so many other ways that I can manage with this on my own.

For my asthma, I only take my inhalers when I need it, as soon as a asthma attack comes. I'm looking at another alternative way to manage my asthma. The inhalers are full of steroids and crap. I'm looking at herbal remedies to take in daily. And I am going to ask a professional about this, only because I'm new to this herbal remedy stuff.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Is wanderland that place you go to and wander around? If so, my wanderland in Wal-Mart. Man, I can wander around in there for hours and hours. As for people telling people to take meds, or to NOT take meds, that my friend is called freedom of speech.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shrukin89
There are a lot of great doctors out there. But there are some docs who don't give a # about you, only their money.

Exactly, this is why I said that you should get multiple opinions not just one

My family doctor to treat my mild aniexity when my cat died, gave me Effexor XR,

In my opinion that was an incorrect diagnosis. Unless you were sent into a spiraling curtain of despair, treatement with drugs shouldnt have been an option. Chronic depression is much different to non-clinical depression, in the fact that a hormone inbalance is not the primary cause of it. It sounds like the death of your pet was the trigger in this case, and the doctor didnt investigate properly

+36 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

This might come as a shock but a lot of those people did a lot of research in the medical businesses.

The pharmaceutical industry is filled with corruption, lies and control freaks. The people at the top are not in it to help you, instead they will suck your wallet dry. When that happens you will be equal to dirt.

Almost any ailment can be relieved substantially using natural means that are cheap and in most case widely available. Many of these harmless substances have even been banned from the FDA.

You can choose to remain ignorant and lazy by convincing yourself all these doctors and researchers are doing their very best to help you, or you start doing some serious research and regain your health on your own.

Your very rant is actually top shelf ignorance. You have no idea how well educated these people are who are against pharmaceutical medication, nor do you seem to have any clue about the countless cases of corruption and cover ups that have happened during the past century till today in this industry.

This is ironic but you seem to be truly living in wonderland.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
A star for you Mr Weatherman, for coming forward with a personal experience in an attempt to responsibly share info about an extremely serious topic.

I personally consider any medication to be a last resort, but thank God I've never had anything more serious than the flu. I guarantee if I had a debilitating condition, I'd consider all the reasonable alternatives in conjunction with a physician and take whatever the best steps were to get better.

If you really don't trust your doctor, it only makes sense to keep looking until you find one you do trust. They're not ALL looking to jam pills down your throat to make an easy buck.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
As for people telling people to take meds, or to NOT take meds, that my friend is called freedom of speech.

Fair enough

But to come here an rave and rant about why nobody else should take them is irresponsible. Last guy I knew that thought along the same lines as the people saying to avoid medication, hung himself......

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
reply to post by (C2C)

This is the exact kind of thing Im talking about. Someone that is ignorant to the fact of the capabilities of medication, simply because you are self absorbed in some kind of conspiracy theory behind the pharmaceutical companies.

I did not cure myself through thoughts and mind, I battled through 5 years of it before I got proper help, thoughts didnt help me there at all, and it wasnt until I started taking medication and started seeing a psychiatrist, that I got better.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Congratulations on making it through and being willing to talk about it.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
OZ...

I'm against any sort of pharmaceutical drug or "bandages" as I call them, because they simply mask the problem and create more symptoms so you have to take more of their "medication".

Now that being said.

I AGREE WITH YOU!

My husband is a doctor, we have a lot of disputes over what works and what doesn't for various mental illnesses.

DEPRESSION is a big one, and some people REQUIRE medication and good counceling to get through it. So yes, STOP telling people to stop taking their meds.

If your not a doctor, and even to hell if you are a doctor, you don't know these people's medical history and everything they have been through.

It's irresponsible.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by broli

You can choose to remain ignorant and lazy by convincing yourself all these doctors and researchers are doing their very best to help you, or you start doing some serious research and regain your health on your own.

Your very rant is actually top shelf ignorance. You have no idea how well educated these people are who are against pharmaceutical medication, nor do you seem to have any clue about the countless cases of corruption and cover ups that have happened during the past century till today in this industry.

This is ironic but you seem to be truly living in wonderland.

Ahem, have you ever known a person with a serious mental condition? A schizophrenic per chance? One who hears voices telling them to mutilate themselves or that everyone is out to get them?

I have known a few in my lifetime and all of them tried being off their medications at one time or another, with disastrous results. Some of them died.

I love these people dearly, but will have nothing to do with them when they don't take their meds.

Go ahead and take whatever concoction you believe can cure you, or make you better if you chose to do so, but don't ever presume to tell other people, who don't know you from Jack what to do.

I just hope for your own sake, that you don't run into somebody that listened to you about not taking meds on one of their bad days.

Then of course, they can cop an insanity plea when they are done with ya!

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Hey Although I see where you are coming from, And 100% agree that if you absolutley need to take medication or else something really bad will happen, then take the medication, But you are no different then the people telling others not to. Ignorant. Most of the people who tell others not to, are ignorant and paranoid, or Greedy and want your money. On the other hand there is a small percentage of people who understand what is good, and what is bad for you. For instance did you know that most of the medication made to treat all illnesses kills your liver. Now although I do agree with you somewhat, I disagree with you more. I have full blown depression, astma, and chronic mustle spasms that are very painful. Do I take medication? Well in a way I do, But It wasn't from a doctor, and Certainly not manufactured behind closed doors. I smoke marijuana, and all my medical problems are solved. Simple as that. It's illegal, and frowned upon, But does it help? Absolutley 100%. I have not had one astma attack, Not one painful mustle spasm, and My depression has vanished since I started using Cannabis. Are they cured? No, Because when I have to stop smoking, like when I'm broke, or when I'm out of town and it's not available, All of those medical issues come back. Soo They are cured when I smoke, But when I have to stop, They come back. I have had no Ill effects of smoking, other than the obvious effects of Smoke on the lungs, Which there are substitusions for, I just don't have the resources. Soo, What I am stating, is that even though there are Pills I can take, I found One solution, that 100% works, But even Doctors will tell you it's bad. Soo what I am telling you, is that there are a lot of people, Even doctors, and especially people who own companies, that are liars, and only want money. They don't want to help you, That may be what there Job is intended for, But that Does not mean that they are good people. I myself have also cured my depression, By facing the facts, that the brain is a powerful tool, and it is possible to regulate your own chemicals. Soo Don't take this personal, But you need to come to facts that there are a lot of ways to solve a problem, but it is your Job, and your Job only, to find out which solution is good for you. People have there own opinions, Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But it is there opinion, and no one has to listen to it. You can choose to, but that's your choice. So you can't argue with opinion.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

If you want to take your medications then that is your right. Those of us who know better and are capable will not touch it because we will use natural means or just plain heal ourselves. I don't don't think your depression was caused by a hormonal imbalance, that may have been the end result but i think the cause would have been whatever you were not happy with and had issures with. You could have changed your perspective and not let it eat you up so bad. Either way, its good to hear that you are cured. So I guess if you need medication you need medication but the reason you need medication is because you don't know any better.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

One, it is rude to type in all caps. Particularly for many lines. Even when lives are at stake. Capital letters will not save a man. Second, it is insensitive and probably even rude to denounce a fellow man simply because he does not have an official certificate of some kind. Wisdom is not something dispensed, it is something achieved. Just generally, please be kind to people, even if you think they're hurting you or others. Especially then, because they need to be held closer in such cases, not pushed away.
Also, medicine is poison.
I have, in fact, recovered from clinical depression without drugs. This was when I was 16-17 years old. The depression lasted from age 7, at the first suicidal mumblings. You know how parents get all upset about that kind of thing. Documented by a properly certificate-holding individual, this was. He even signed it at the bottom.
Now in my case, I was also documented to be allergic mildly, to two plants they grew in yard. Circumstances caused my family to move to a place where only one of those plants grew, and not much. After ward, over the course of about 9 months, my depression totally lifted. With the exception of one person, the first time I had a friend over to my house was at the age of 19, if I recall.
So the allergies skews the results a bit, and as well the puberty factor.
However it seems very highly likely to me that all humans can regulate the hormone levels in their brains. Who else would be doing it? Random factor? I know my feelings aren't random, personally. At least not all of them...
Also, medicine is poison.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by (C2C)

I forgot to mention this in my post, but I see you do not know either, But I will state it now. DEPRESSION, Is not just being sad. Infact that's like 1/10 of it. Depression, is not having any energy at all, You just don't want to do anything, it's like you are void of happiness and life, and just passion. Sure you are sad, but you are sad because you can't enjoy life. That is what depression is. It's a chemical inbalance, not an emotion. There is A grand difference between Depression, and Being depressed. Depression is not a state of mind it an ailment. So you cannot possibly say to anyone who has depression, to Lighten up, or get over it. That is just ignorant. It's no different then telling someone with aids or cancer to get over it, I mean it's just simply not that easy.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by (C2C)
You could have changed your perspective and not let it eat you up so bad.

I'm sorry, but I find this an incredible arrogant thing to say. Depression is not something you can turn around at will. It's not llke you can put a big smile on your face and then everything is all rigt. Then it wouldn't BE a depression, would it?

Your statement implies that the depression is somehow the persons own fault. He or she is somehow not doing things right. He or she have "chosen" the wrong perspective.

You obviously have never been seriously depressed yourself, since you feel the need to add a few more stones of guilt and shame to the burden a depressed person already is carrying.

Shame on you.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Some people are like that because they were medicated when they were very young. You have parents medicating their kids because they are too hyper or whatever. Then after they grow up and stop taking their medication ofcourse they have major issues! They were never taught to cope without the medication as they should have been. So the cause of alot these issues is definaltely medication. Maybe not some of the skitzophrenic ones tho. And I would advise all parents to not medicate their children if at all possible (thereby taking the easy way out). Kids need to learn to deal with the issures not have them masked.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
This first part is an open statement to those people that are telling other members to not take their medication or who are recommending that other members do not trust their doctor or mental health care proffesionals:

STOP IT!!! IT IS COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE TO DO THIS. YOU ARE NOT PROFFESIONALS IN THIS AREA, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DICTATE WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD BE TAKING AND YOU MAY BE CAUSING OTHERS HARM AND IN SOME CASES, THEIR SUICIDES....SO STOP IT PLEASE

I am rather disappointed in your lack of confidence in our ability to educate ourselves on these matters - a degree does not mean educated, and a lack of one does not mean uneducated, out of hand - and I find it rather amusing to see the word "dictate" in your dictate.

To my knowledge, all who have commented on the issues with a pharmaceutical industry that is not interested in cures but chemicals that often cause more issues in the long run than the issues they are "helping" and which can be patented for profit - all such people have offered information and made suggestions, with a tacit understanding that it is in the hands of the would-be medicator to make the final choice.

I'm not going to say that you can't find a post anywhere where someone stepped over the line, but I have seen many posts where the suggestion has been made with supporting data.

Maybe I have missed some trend here on ATS and you can offer a plethora of issues, with posters saying, "You will not take that drug because I command it (dictate it)," or the like. If so, I will retract my assessment of what has been said.

Now, I understand that you have been helped by a given pharmaceutical, and many actually do help. Anti-depressants - the older ones, tend to be for many, but the newer ones are showing greater and greater side effects and issues for a growing number. But more and more, they are classifying the pains of life as a disease - for which they miraculously have a very expensive drug to treat (not cure). And more and more drugs are showing signs of extreme issues.

So unless you see action to coerce, force, dictate and so on, I suggest you might considering being thankful that others are concerned and aware of issues with this overall corrupt and uncaring industry, offering what they know for overall consideration.

Interestingly, I used to suffer from depression, and then I was introduced to Choice Theory (a good thing to look into, btw), and it was suggested that perhaps, on some level I was choosing to depress. At first, I thought it was all nonsense, but it was suggested that when I started the process into depression, I ask myself why I was choosing to depress.

I was rather astonished to find the taking responsibility for it easy. I didn't want to be responsible for the manifestation when the idea first was brought up. But when I tried asking myself, I could feel something appropriate in the question. And, for me, every time I have started into that mode - rarely these days, but frequent at first - I ask myself why I am choosing to depress.

And sometimes the answer comes to mind and I can decide to think differently about the issue, and sometimes I get no answer at all. But either way... I stop depressing.

Maybe this would have worked for you, too. Maybe it will in the future if you find you are going there.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Shame on me lol. Whatever. You can say a depression is not a persons fault all you want, but i think it is a result of their own mind. You can turn it around at will and I have done it so I know this. No you don't put a big simle on your face and pretend that everything is all right. You do alot of deep thinking and sort through your issues. I'm not throwing any stones of guilt and shame to the burden anyone. But if you are depressed please sort through your thoughts and perspectives on things and figure it out for yourself instead of running to the doctor for an external means to cure yourself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join