It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voodoo religion's role in helping Haiti's quake victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Voodoo religion's role in helping Haiti's quake victims

news.bbc.co.uk

A month before Haiti's devastating earthquake, prominent musician Theodore "Lolo" Beaubrun and a few friends were summoned by spirits who tried to warn them about the impending cataclysm.

"They told us to pray for Haiti because many people would die," says Mr Beaubrun - the frontman of the group Boukman Eksperyans.

"I thought it was about politics. I didn't know it was going to be an earthquake."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pat Robertson: Haiti in pact with the Devil
Pat Robertson: Haiti
Pat Robertson Blames Haiti Earthquake on "Pact With the Devil"

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

The spirits may have failed to make themselves understood, but according to Mr Beaubrun - whose music and outlook are steeped in voodoo culture - they are standing by the Haitian people in their hour of need.

Haiti's traditional religion has kept a low profile in the aftermath of the earthquake.

The songs and prayers heard amid the rubble and tent cities around Port-au-Prince are overwhelmingly Christian.

The voodoo religion may be practised by many Haitians - the exact number is unknown - and has not been totally absent from the aid effort.

Louis Leslie Marcelin, another singer who also describes himself as a spiritual guide and healer, has used his home in Port-au-Prince as an alternative school and a care centre.

But such efforts by voodoo leaders have been few and far between. The bulk of the religious relief aid work in Haiti has been carried out by Catholic and Protestant groups.

Some argue that voodoo's conspicuous absence in the aftermath of the quake is due to prejudice. Many Christians - especially Protestants - regard voodoo as devil worship.

This idea was expressed in its most striking form by the US televangelist Pat Robertson, who said shortly after the quake that Haiti had made a "pact with the devil" when it defeated French colonists two centuries ago.

According to Mr Beaubrun, such attitudes have been in evidence during relief operations.

"Some Christian communities do not want to give food to voodoo followers," he says.

"As soon as they see people wearing peasant clothes or voodoo handkerchiefs, they put them aside and deny them food.

Now Pat Robertson, are you proud of yourself? You would have your people deny food and aid to those you deem devil worshippers? Are you proud that those "voodoo devil worshippers" are afraid to give aid due to fear of persecution by the Christians?

This here is a perfect example of the illogicalness of it all. Christians, Muslims, or any other religious group think that other religions are absurd and even of the Devil. While religions accuse each other of stupid things, people are suffering.

Get rid of the religions and there will be less suffering.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Even in the face of a terrible tragedy, the higher ups in American politics and religions are the worlds biggest bullies. It sickens me.

I still think the U.N. and the U.N. only should have responded this. They would have done a much better job than the U S. IMO.

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So who really has responded? I haven't seen any of the major countries contribute that say the US is full of infidels. Regardless, When you land in a world of human rights violations and poverty there is always criticism that you aren't doing enough. Where is the rest of the World?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
You know, he had a premonition.

I come from the Caribbean and Voodoo is junk...old superstitions that continue in the islands- An extreme offspring of Catholicism- does nothing unless people believe in it. You cant tell the fortune with it either.

I bet he saw Haitis' fortune by the simple throwing of caracoles, better known here as sea shells.

Unfortunatly, most of the world sees Voodoo as a very low class practice, including many of the inhavitants of the islands.

Now dont get me wrong, i donated some money, and i think the world should be involved in helping, i am merely responding to the "vision"

[edit on 22-2-2010 by dgtempe]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
Even in the face of a terrible tragedy, the higher ups in American politics and religions are the worlds biggest bullies. It sickens me.

I still think the U.N. and the U.N. only should have responded this. They would have done a much better job than the U S. IMO.

Peace

Yes because the UN is doing such a fine job in Africa and that somehow the UN is independent of the major powers or their funding.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Can you use a voodoo doll to help a person in need (Like placing a little basket of food in front of the doll will help the real person to get food) or heal a sick person?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Would they be so down and out BEFORE the quake if you could?

new topics

top topics

join