It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spaying our 6 year old Boxer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
My vet ALWAYS asks me when I'm going to get my pure bred Boxer spayed. I've tried to discuss with him the pros and cons of spaying a dog. He always brings up the pyometra argument. Ok fine........but even if a dog gets pyometra the death rate is only 1%. I think pyometra risks are way overstated. I also feel there is a lot of political crap behind getting dogs spayed and neutered. There are health problems involved once a dog is spayed. And my boxer is apure bred and I'm a very responsible dog owner and she would never get pregnant. I've read all about the stats on cancer yadda yadda. I just don't think spayed female dogs are any healthier than unspayed dogs from the research I've done. Any insight into this?

To me it's akin to the whole cholesterol crap doctors push onto their patients.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Most vets are in BUSINESS to make money. Yours is probably no different.

Sure, they probably say they do it because they are animal lovers and want to help them, but they are SO EXPENSIVE. Just like dentists.

I say let your dog keep all it's bits, as long as she's healthy and happy, why put her and yourself through the ordeal and help your vets bank balance increase while yours does the opposite.

If it was for a serious health reason fair enough, but it sounds like it isn't.

I have 3 cats, and a trip to the vets for anything ALWAYS end up in a soft sell of something my kitties don't really need. Last time it was descaling their teeth. 150 euros, and that included a discount because I have 3.

I said "only if you do mine for free at the same time", and I gave her a big smile.

My cats teeth are fine (mine aren't) and did NOT need treatment, but the vets needed to pay for their shiny new expensive property.

Remember aswell, that the majority of vets are trained in colleges and facilities sponsored by pet food manufacturers which is why most vets are keen to sell you the products they stock. They aren't as high quality as we are led to believe, but hey! if your pet gets sick from eating their cr*p, who makes money.....the vet.

I think you've guessed, I don't like vets.

Don't do it!

join