It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Apple ever release OS X for PC you think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I feel a strong attraction towards Apple OS X. Earlier versions were awkward and girlie but now Apple have produced an amazing OS
But coughing up enough $$$ to buy a decent Mac isn't easy, at least not for me at the moment.

Basically, current Macs use the same hardware components as current PCs. But Apple use TPM Trusted Platform Module technology to prevent PCs from running their OS. On a new Mac you can actually run both OS X and Windows. But getting OS X to work on a PC (yes it can be done) requires lots of work and the results seem to be less than stellar.

Isn't it time for Apple to remove TPM technology from their OS? I mean the Mac vs PC era is technically over. Please share your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
They should. It would open a new market for them. I remember when Itunes was only allowed if you had a Mac. Then they opened it to the PC and there came more money.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I highly doubt they will ever release OS X such a fashion, their track record of being open is worse than Microsoft really. They are far too tight-fisted about things to open it up like that, which would really kill their profits since they make tons of money on the name of their product and the flashy marketing. Any comparable speced PC is roughly 40% cheaper than its Mac counterpart. If it could run easily on any hardware then the piracy that would follow would gut the company.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Why do people assume that Apple makes a different kind of computer? They are ALL the same parts, it's just the OS that's the difference.

I havea triple boot PC, with Windows 7, Linux and OS X all in one package.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
www.theregister.co.uk...

Though, I'd rather just buy a Mac...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
There's no chance they'll ever do that..

Why would they? The only thing that makes them unique is their OS. Otherwise, its just the stylized hardware that looks good.

Releasing OSX would kill them. Having said that, I only buy Macs.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Sucks for them, since I build my own computers. I can build a computer for a fraction of the price that any company will sell for with the same specs. Therefore, Mac will never ever have anything purchased from me.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
its not as if im trapped in some monopoly, i just love the combo of form and function.

And I guarantee you can't build anything so convenient as one of the new imacs.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
www.theregister.co.uk...

Though, I'd rather just buy a Mac...

Dude, if I could star that post, I would, but you're a mod anyway - so it doesn't matter, hehe.

But good stuff! I just might go for this. I did not know it was indeed possible to run OSX on a PC. That's awesome!

Wonder if Snow Leopard could run on it as well...

Anyways, good lookin' out!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I've been running OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) on my pc for a month now I have Windows 7 on one hdd and OS X on another, OS X seems a lot more stable than Windows 7. Learn more here www.insanelymac.com

top topics

join