It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visual Black Out: Who tripped the sun for a second?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimjolnir
reply to post by westcoast

on another note I will try get the coords for you PuterMan. sorry if it takes a while, don't go gettin all psycho groupie on me for them.

At my age young man (apologies for the assumption) I have not got a clue what you are on about!

No hurry, I will also have a look myself.

To Westcoast: What you mean you think I may have an interest in quakes?

EDIT: I have your co-ordinates. I note you are about 200 km from a tectonic plate boundary. I may not be able to get eq events immediately, but I will get back to the thread when I can.

[edit on 21/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

well, psycho groupie: a girl who just wont leave you alone.. here used as a metaphore for people on forums who want info from you RIGHT NOW!...

if you don't mind, why do you need my Latitude and Longitude?
what are your ideas?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimjolnir

This is the reason. I am looking for a seisomgraph close to your locality. It looks as if this one may fit the bill:

Station: Kokstad
Station Code: KSD
Latitude: 30°31.17'S
Longitude: 29°24.62'E
Elevation: 1350
Geological Foundation: Dolerite
Instruments: Guralp CMG-40T seismometer and a SAQS recording system.

Can you confirm that? I make that pretty darn close to Waterfall.

There may be nothing in it but as westcoast pointed out you can get magnetic effects with quakes, and magnetic effects 'might' have such an effect - if electrical equipment was affected.

There do not appear to be any major seismic events as far as I can see but I am having a troll round the South Afican seismo site

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WdBASH

Thanks for telling your story. It's hard to accept it as hallucination or a trick of the eye. I suppose we may never know with these things.
Hell, if we're crazy, at least there's more than one of us.

reply to post by UmbraSumus

No porky pies here mate
I know it's hard to prove my case but test me and I'll do my best.

Awesome! I promise I'm actually going to download google earth now, maybe we might be onto something here with the earthquake vibe..

[edit on 21-2-2010 by Jimjolnir]

After downloading GE and placing my house, my aunts house, and my old high school, its strange, though highly coincidental, that they are on a straight line (give or take 100 metres).

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You said in this reply

when my aunt said "ja, I saw that too! I thought it was just the lights." We only had our tv and fans on. my kitchen is well lit on a day like today so no artificial light

Does your Aunt's kitchen require lighting on a bright sunny summer day, or otherwise why else would she comment about the lights?

Nothing doing on the seismographs. The only South African one I can get at is in Antarctica. They only seem to report around Mag 3.0 on the site. Nothing reported from the Potsdam site in Germany either, or on the USGS data so if there was a quake it was a small one and thus only locally noted.

[edit on 21/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

My aunt did say she had her lights on, she said she was cooking or something with dough, then she came to my house. We were by the jacuzzi most of day (except for me bouncing between ats and jacuzzi), so we didn't have the lights on. We weren't busy in the kitchen, or house for that matter. Did have the tv on tho.Its always on...
(I despise the box)

I forgot to add that yes Kokstad is the closest to me.

Also, NO faults were found with anything electrical.

Imagine something covers your eyes for less than a second, it's dark, but so quick you couldn't even think to react and then your left with questions, just a few and no answers

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I was sitting here going over it while it's still fresh and trying to recall as much as possible, here's a few things that could be of interest.

okay, the hard part is the duration of the black-out. Here's a vid of a kid practicing his conducting skills, as a musician it's probably the funniest thing i've seen someone practice, even a triangle must be more fun.

Sorry, Okay, so in the vid the metronome sounds: doh ting, doh ting etc. this black-out thing lasts the length of one beat, one 'doh.' sounds lame hey?

so sit there in you chair, stare at a bright wall (think: a lovely summers day) and recite the metronome in your head (or listen to the vid), and close your eyes for one beat. One thing you will notice is that because of the light and the thinness of your eyelids you see a dullish red glow. now when this happened today i know it was pitch black.
Come to think about it I don't think there was sound for that short duration either... My mind was so focused on the conversation I was having with my Mom, I could be wrong.

I've watched a few planes go by since and from what I recall there was nothing out of the ordinary with the plane that flew over at the time of the black-out. if anything it was probably just lower than it should be, that happens a lot here.

(sorry if I talk too much, I get carried away.. I expected more people to have noticed this phenomenon.)

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The big computer we are all living in needs a new graphics card

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

If it was just you on your own, i'd say something misfired in your head for a split second. It happens. Some synaptic misfiring that affected your vision centres.

But more than one person experiencing the same phenomena, at the same time rules out an individual cause. Something external and environmental has to be the cause.

That's not to say that whatever the external factor is, that it couldn't necessarily affect both of you in a neurological way. Like strong EM waves or harmonics originating in the surrounding fault lines maybe.

Or something very, very large, flew fast overhead and blotted the sun out for a second..course, it would have to of been silent, or you would've heard it...you know what territory that takes us into!

Other than that, no idea..as you say, hopefully more people who saw the one you did come forward..especially the ones who may of been already looking up when 'it' zipped passed.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have experienced something similar over the years.
Sometimes by myself, some others with people around me.
At the beggining I always asked, did you see it? But as time goes by I stopped asking and paying attention to it. But 5 days ago I was talking with my boss when he suddenly stopped talking and then he asked me, did you see it?
At that precise moment I didnt see anything, then he described me the same exact thing that I have witnessed before and it is pretty much the same thing that Jimjolnir described. And now doing some research about that I found this thread.
I dont have any answer or explanation regarding that. Because as I said I stopped asking and for some reason stopped thinking about it. Now I'm really interested in this matter.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I agree with what you're saying about something external being the cause and possibly affecting our neurological system. But WHAT could it be?

I suppose we can't really rule out something passing the sun, but I would say this is not the case. This black-out thing seems to happen quite sporadically.

reply to post by Dhelion

Thank you for telling your story, I'm glad that I'm not the only one. Maybe people will be more inclined to believe or at least question the possibility of this phenomenon.

I really hope that more people find this thread, maybe with enough stories, we can find enough geological/location/time/date data to lead us somewhere.

If anyone has an experience like this in the future, please consider writting it down while it's fresh and posting your story here.

Big thank you to all you posters, was nervous of my first thread, lol.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Jimjolnir]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I'm just going to throw this out there...when a plane is low enough it leaves a shadow on the ground that blocks out a relatively small area for a very brief moment. While that doesn't explain how your aunt saw it, unless she too had been under that shadow for a moment, the fact that there was a plane nearby leads me to believe that's what you guys saw. I live near one of the busiest airports in the world, and while it doesn't happen often, it is noticeable.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by truthbetold15

**edits for silliness

Okay you've got me thinking...

By all means it is possible that a plane could have eclipsed the sun...
**what was I thinking! the suns too bright, a shadow, yes, pitch black,no.
**It would have to be a BIIG craft

I have noted here that my aunts house, my house and my old school are almost in a line... maybe an air traffic pathway?

There's 10 years (pretty much) between the black-out at school(which quite a few saw) and the one my aunt, and my Mom and I saw.

I don't recall there being a plane over the school though????

Just how noticeable is it?? I mean, what we saw was everything go as dark as pitch!

As if you were blind for a second (cant believe I didn't think of such a simple bloody analogy earlier! Christ.)

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Jimjolnir]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
it's happened to me too quite alot actually. most recently about 3-4 months ago. I agree that it feels like everything goes quiet and blacks out. Allmost like a disconnect from reality. Sometimes I'm the only one to notice sometimes other people do too. I always wondered if it was electrical sort of like an electron storm or lightning strike. But it affects your own circuits *read brain* rather than the wiring in your house.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what else comes up.

S&F

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This happened to me in 2005 or 2006. As in the OP's case, there were other witnesses in the neighborhood to the same event. This was definitely NOT a bird, flock of birds, low flying airplane, etc. It occurred at around 8:30 a.m.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
So far we have three members, Dhelion, IAmD1 and Visiting ESB, that have come forward with evidence to back up the reality of this phenomenon and WdBASH who has seen something more peculiar, a dissapearing section of space. I think that's a fair start for the second page.

I am kind of on the wagon with IAmD1's thought of 'a disconnect from reality', something affecting our circuits/brain. (Here it could lead to a hypothesis that if it effects things such as electrons, then it would effect the whole universe. So then, if we experience the darkness when the electrons are distorted (distorted? halted?), then what of consciousness? Is consciousness to be considered separate from the physical realm? And then, could that mean we have a separate spiritual realm, a separate physical realm and a separate consiousness realm?) I dunno...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't know where I saw this, but it was from a truck driver going down this lonely road and he watched in his mirror, a large shadow on the road approaching and catching up with him. Suddenly he was in almost complete darkness and yet when he looked up, the sky was still the same as it had been, but no light was getting through. The shadow was very large and rectangular like a large thing was flying over. What was happening was this flying object was directing vision around so it was cloaked, but still cast a strong shadow, yet it you look at it, all you will see is normal sky. Think of a large screen showing the sky, but casting a shadow donwward.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If it was just you who experienced the split-second of absolutely no light, it could probably just be a medical problem, which you should definitely go to a doctor for.

But from what I read, it sounds like your mother and aunt experienced it as well. If that's the case, you should probably talk to some people around town and see if they experienced it as well. The more people who can confirm that this happened the better your chances of discovering what truly happened will be.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
this happened to my wife and i about 10 years ago we live in merseyside england. we were in the back garden cleaning up when suddenly it went pitch black. i couldnt see anything or hear anything for a split second. my wife said what just happened it went black did you see that. it was a hot suuny afternoon about 1 pm blue sky, no clouds at all no birds no planes no explantion for that split second of darkness. if it only happened to one of us we could put it down to something physical but we both exprienced it at the same time.
we are glad we are not the only people to have had this happened to.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by shelvin

Thanks for this addition shelvin. It is a strange one isn't it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one and that witnesses of this phenomenon are finding this thread.
I am still absolutely lost for an explanation!
My best metaphsical explanation would be that we, as conscious observers, are able, for a second, to glimpse that which we should not normally perceive.

There is another thread, Trying to conceptualize nothingness, which may be strangely related to this 'black out' phenomenon. In this thread there is talk of what colour would represent nothingness, black or white. because you either have the collection of all colours, or the absence of all colour. I dunno Lord Bucket explains it quite nicely:

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by ventian

Kinda weird for anyone to picture nothingness as black. After all
black is absolute color where as white is the absence of color.

I suppose that depends on where you identify.

Assuming we're speaking of light, if an object is "black" then it absorbs all the colors of light that reach it. So yes...the black object "is/has" those colors. But in absorbing all of those colors it releases none, and so they do not reach your eye for you to see.

Whereas in the white object, all frequencies are released to your eye, and thus while the object itself might not "be/have" those colors, you are able to perceive them because it gives them to you.

Therefore black means something is there and white
refers to the fact that nothing is there.

The white is where something is there...for you.

[edit on 17-3-2010 by LordBucket]

I'm confused, are you confused....great.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join