It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Myths About Hunger

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I must again link to Dr. Michael Parenti where he gives a pefectly fine explenation for this behaviour.
If you have not see it. I reccomended.

Its all about the free market even now on this topic.
The globalisation of this market is obvious and well known.

Why do the people IMO don't understand that when something goes wrong, like Argentina's economy fell, Hyperinflation etc. Wallstreet was making big bucks.
Nothing went wrong it was supposed to. The big mony, investers and so on. They didn't loose a penny over it and now control their resources and make profit of it and the people working for companies they own.
The people themselves are left with poverty and little option to get out of the hole the were fooled in.

Of course also this can be wrong. But it's the best possible explenation I've heard yet. Not even a conspiracy.

Still all those people remain to be hungry.

This is my most important concern. Who is next ?

[edit on 21/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I applaud your fight for the hungry and attempt to open peoples eyes about the fact it is preventable and in some cases calculated and deliberate.

When I was a child I was almost certain the time would soon come when everyone would have enough to eat. Unfortunately in this world individuals corporations and some governments have decided to make sustenance a luxury instead of a necessity.

If we grow so much of our own food and export so much how come so many Americans are malnourished? And we are the lucky ones.

Compassion, decency and even common sense seems to fly out the window whenever there's a buck to be made.
It is sad and shocking to me that with so many truly good, and decent people in the world, and such an abundance of food choices that are possible, people still starve to death on this planet.
It is shameful and no testament to our civility or culture here on earth. "We" (world powers, civilization, human culture) are heartless profiteers and our inheritance our legacy will be as "takers" and exploiters.
Humanity will be remembered for conquering space and leaving our own people to die.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I only read the first myth, and although it may be true that we have enought grains etc. to feed the worlds population, it dodn't mention the amount of grain we produce to sustain cattle and meat stocks etc. Isn't that one of the main reasons of food poverty because we arn't very efficient in the way we stuff ourselves?

So technically I don't see it as a myth, and I have read quite a few articles in new scientist on the issue and think that we really do struggle to grow enough crops in reality.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

I applaud your fight for the hungry and attempt to open peoples eyes about the fact it is preventable and in some cases calculated and deliberate.
I know, but if we stop standing up all together then we can be sure nothing is and will never going to change !
We must be ashamed to let our self go with the flow ! If we try and there is never any change. Well... At Least we tried.!
If we do nothing. Blind yourself from reality and the pain and misery to others. You tell me... We are then just as much responsible lowering our selves to a level so many want to escape from. You said it yourself !

It is sad and shocking to me that with so many truly good, and decent people in the world

We will betray them all. They are the most important reason not to quit ! The proof that there is good in the world.

When I was a child I was almost certain the time would soon come when everyone would have enough to eat. Unfortunately in this world individuals corporations and some governments have decided to make sustenance a luxury instead of a necessity.

I feel the same ! When I went to kindergarten, we were still nice and loving to each other. If I walk by a school now, thes kids are calling you names and all ???
Television also hardened as to be indifferent. The A-Team or Knight Rider. People didn't die !
Now i see video's of a girl student getting shot at a protest in Iran. Starting flowing blood from every hole and her eyes wer rolling away.
I was absolutely devastated after I saw it and even now I can feel tears of grief writing about such a useless end excruciating end of a girl maybe only 8 years younger then me.

Does this mean we should stop trying ? No ! Of course not !

If we grow so much of our own food and export so much how come so many Americans are malnourished? And we are the lucky ones.
A few months ago in the Dutch media, they talked about New York City.

One of it´s poorer parts . They were setting up mobile greenery's so the people could afford to buy vegetables instead of fast food.

Compassion, decency and even common sense seems to fly out the window whenever there's a buck to be made.

Greed, envy, pride, vanity and so on.
All sins all human imperfections. I think above all they are still human and they can be changed. But not if we are giving op !
I wrote a thread about it I actually got some respect for. Please take a look you might have your own insight on it. To define evil and discuss the way it works.

It is shameful and no testament to our civility or culture here on earth. "We" (world powers, civilization, human culture) are heartless profiteers and our inheritance our legacy will be as "takers" and exploiters.

Don´t worry ! If we actually are going to end up destroying ourselves, there is nobody around to tell the story.
We shouldn't´t even deserve it anyway. We already ´We´do not learn from the past. Why bringing up ideas with later life ?

Humanity will be remembered for conquering space and leaving our own people to die.

There is actually a story that goes something like this.
All people lived together in the world speaking the same language and working together, until one one day they decided to build a tower reaching for the heavens. Then god saw this and he said something like we were capable to achieve the impossible when we work together in peace.
He decides it should be stopped and caused them all to start talking in different languages and they could not understand each other any more.

I read in this story we were on a path leading us to knowledge and freedom achieving the unachievable.
We only got stopped dead in our tracks ! What could be a good reason for this ?

I´m just saying. No I'm asking. Never give up ! Please !

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

It was the name of the article.
Read them all and then decide if you got anything useful to ad.
Of course you are always welcome to proof them wrong ! I would even enjoy it if you do !

It isn´t even about the myth it´s about people dying because somewhere between us an them something goes wrong.

So please before you think of bashing anyone of them.
Please think about realty and the fact people are dying from starvation ?

The issue what I want people to be more aware of.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
When will people start to realise the global free market is nothing more then a scheme from a few to get even more filthier rich !???

When will people realize that the USA is the primary supplier of food to the entire world, that the USA gives away millions of tons of food (and billions of dollars) to "hungry nations" every year, and that the real thieves in the world are the corrupt governments of the "hungry nations" — thieves who accept and hoard the USA's charitable gifts for themselves, or turn around and sell the food at a profit.

— Doc Velocity

And the exact reason why The U.S. should stop giving hand outs to foreign countrys when that Dollar and pound of food could be used at home first. Then and only after we are set should we even consider sending anything.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

You are being deceived by Global Union activity, my friend.

See, as part of the new global village concept, the USA has agreed to increase our imports of foreign goods. We agreed to bring in the detestable, chemical-laden crap from China. We agreed to start importing more of the disease-laden produce from Latin America.

We're not importing this crap because we need it. We're importing it as part of our assimilation into the Global Union.

I trust you also acknowledge that the Global Union mandating these 'agreements' is a Corporate Global Union - designed to facilitate mega-corporations ability to trade in the global marketplace?

?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Sorry, but your links are misleading, and it seems someone has sold you a bill of goods. U.S. food production is doing quite well. We produce the second most amount of food, China producing the most. Ranked per capita, U.S. ranks 10th, while China does not make the top 20.

www.fao.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Here are the two points in this article that really need to be faced.

More U.S. Aid Will Help the Hungry

Reality: Most U.S. aid works directly against the hungry. Foreign aid can only reinforce, not change, the status quo. Where governments answer only to elites, our aid not only fails to reach hungry people, it shores up the very forces working against them. Our aid is used to impose free trade and free market policies, to promote exports at the expense of food production, and to provide the arms that repressive governments use to stay in power.

And

Reality: The biggest threat to the well-being of the vast majority of Americans is not the advancement but the continued deprivation of the hungry. Low wages - ­both abroad and in inner cities at home - ­may mean cheaper bananas, shirts, computers and fast food for most Americans, but in other ways we pay heavily for hunger and poverty. Enforced poverty in the Third World jeopardizes U.S. jobs, wages and working conditions as corporations seek cheaper labor abroad. In a global economy, what American workers have achieved in employment, wage levels, and working conditions can be protected only when working people in every country are freed from economic desperation.

Most of your charity money is going to third world war lords.

The fact that most of our planet is controlled by war lords is a threat to us all.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I suggest we don't just keep what wegot. It's never gonna happen you know.

The same multinationals who influnce countries ,cities and government. Are the ones making the money. The end of the line.

This means eventually they are just as much responsible for the poverty, current economic crisis, warzones around the world, False flag operations.
You name it.

Now ! I don't say all the conspiracies are true. If they are true, then still, a part of it would not be.

But what do we know ?
The elite are real. The world is rotten as hell lately. At least it is what the news brings me.
Conspiracies are in publiq domain presentend with overwhelming evidence. Something is wrong.
Until know the guy ( Michael Parenti ) explains this easy,, understandable and most iimportant. No reptilians are to blame.

Maybe you have heard of Occam's Razor ?
This guy has that position right now IMO.

The only way I can think of to stop it all. Make an end to international corporations. Then every country in the world can start producing their own food and everything else what it can.
See to it this gets to a point a country is fully self sufficient.

Now I'd like to see an to the misery of the people.
According to Doc. there are some nations where is not enough land to grow food on. Land is always present and the amount available , left by big corporations. Would be huge!

This does not mean we stop working together. Only working for someone else.

If you think about it all , the bigger picture. What would you do.

Ps.
Occasionally it happens to be that I'm not understand or just misunderstood.
Please tell me I'll try again.

I just feel powerless and at the moment I could only share my thoughts.
Thank god Im a happy person.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Most of the money goes to warlords.

Ok they are not the problem, just the receiving end.
First we must find why and how their at the receiving end.

Any ideas ?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Here's part I of the amazing Dr. John E. Peck video:

www.youtube.com...

Doc -- as I stated in my op-ed as staff writer for the MN Daily:

Between 1985 and 1992, the legal entity called Cargill received $800.4 million in tax subsidies via the Export Enhancement Program, a continuation of the infamous “Food for Peace” policy, writes Kneen. Promoted by Hubert H. Humphrey and instituted as PL 480, food became a Cold War tool, i.e. “for Peace.” If we can induce people to “become dependent on us for food,” then “what is a more powerful weapon than food and fiber?” Humphrey declared, according to “Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies” by Noam Chomsky.

Actually, most of the nation recipients of tax-subsidized Cargill food dumping were, and are, net exporters of food already — policies imposed by colonial trading patterns. The food (for Peace) has been bought cheaply by neocolonial regimes, and then sold at a huge discount on the local market — in Somalia, for example, at one-sixth of the local prices. Many examples of these misguided policies can be found in “Betraying the National Interest: How US Foreign AID Threatens Global Security by Undermining the Political and Economic Stability of the Third World,” by Frances Moore Lappe, et al.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

What do you mean the warlords are not the problem?

How do you come to this conclusion.

First of all, these ruling elite families were in charge before global trade became a big thing. Corporations that go to these countries have to deal with the people who run these countries.

Sure, these corrupt third world countries bring out the worst in International Corporations, but it still remains that the third world elites who keep most of our planets population in horrific poverty with little rights are the root of the problem.

How do we solve this problem?

By pushing our government to create International trade treaties that require countries to meet minimum labor rights and wages in order to trade on the international markets. Require specific goals in improving workers rights and wages around the globe, and the rights of individuals everywhere.

Leaders of nations who refuse to cooperate should be treated as third world criminals. We can't go to their countries and expect our rights to be respected, then they shouldn't be allowed to come here.

Also, we need to tie our immigration policies to theirs. If we can't go into their countries and buy property and occupy that property, then they shouldn't be allowed to buy property in our country. We need to stop being the pressure outlet for third world over population.

End all arms sales to third world countries who refuse to start recognizing individual rights.

These would be some good starting points.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Excellent thread! The link you provided illustrates how incredibly complex the problem of world poverty really is. I personally believe it hinges on the status quo, and the security it offers those in power. An individual with power will look apprehensively at change, since it could threaten his/her position.
For instance, if you look at India's education system, you can see an infuriating amount of foot-dragging on reform. The government has moved ahead ( albeit slowly ) on many other kinds of reforms, but will not touch education. India's education system is as bad as it was 60 years ago. The average teacher will not show up for class 1/4 of the time, as many studies have shown. Why is education so scary to the powerful? Because it enables the people to make better decisions about their lives, and their government.

On another note, here is an interesting video about poverty: www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

What do you mean the warlords are not the problem?
Sorry . What I meant was that the warlords are not the main problem. They have to be financed. Without it they would not be able to exist in their current form.

How do you come to this conclusion.
If there is no supplier there is no buyer. Someone else creates the possibility and keep it in existence. Their is a lot of power and established contact needed for big organisations to work.

First of all, these ruling elite families were in charge before global trade became a big thing. Corporations that go to these countries have to deal with the people who run these countries.
I agree. Global market already existed tho. Only in History those markets were part the countries. Colonies is the correct word.

Sure, these corrupt third world countries bring out the worst in International Corporations, but it still remains that the third world elites who keep most of our planets population in horrific poverty with little rights are the root of the problem.
oh . most definitly.

How do we solve this problem?

By pushing our government to create International trade treaties that require countries to meet minimum labor rights and wages in order to trade on the international markets. Require specific goals in improving workers rights and wages around the globe, and the rights of individuals everywhere.

Leaders of nations who refuse to cooperate should be treated as third world criminals. We can't go to their countries and expect our rights to be respected, then they shouldn't be allowed to come here.

Also, we need to tie our immigration policies to theirs. If we can't go into their countries and buy property and occupy that property, then they shouldn't be allowed to buy property in our country. We need to stop being the pressure outlet for third world over population.

End all arms sales to third world countries who refuse to start recognizing individual rights.

These would be some good starting points.

I can only agree with your solutions, as they are also mine.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Geoff Lawton's "Forest Farms" are another miracle maker solution:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Agro-Forestry is the real secret

seeing forests like gardens.

My old buddy Alan Seid is doing this as well.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Monsanto and Dole destroying Hawaii

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
When will people start to realise the global free market is nothing more then a scheme from a few to get even more filthier rich !???

When will people realize that the USA is the primary supplier of food to the entire world, that the USA gives away millions of tons of food (and billions of dollars) to "hungry nations" every year, and that the real thieves in the world are the corrupt governments of the "hungry nations" — thieves who accept and hoard the USA's charitable gifts for themselves, or turn around and sell the food at a profit.

— Doc Velocity

Oh, like USA don't know what they are doing

We are talking not only food sovereignty, but also energy self sustainability all around the world. Charging for warmth, electricity, food and shelter is the most ludicrous thing I have seen in my life. That is taking the advantage of life style known as SHEEPLE.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Irako

Thank You Irako !

Really great vid. by the way

Interesting

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Oh, like USA don't know what they are doing

up:

Charging for warmth, electricity, food and shelter is the most ludicrous thing I have seen in my life. That is taking the advantage of life style known as SHEEPLE.

I like your answer and maybe I can give a good explanation with it to !

Americans are so indoctrinated with the idea, communism is evil, socialism is bad. Even on threads I read here on ATS.

Let me tell all of you my opinion.
I think capitalism is just as bad as socialism. There needs to be a balance in the system. Don't you see this ? Socialism is already down. Capitalism is close.
There are things in life I think to make them profitable is a crime to humanity !
1. Health care.( Look at us know ! )
2. Food.( Taxes is my meaning to say )
3. Water ( Deny someone water, punishable as attempt of murder. )
4. Public transport.
5. A ticket for braking a law.( In my country they even got a quot um for each department to real in.
)

Of course capitalism also has some good points.
Combine them !
At the same time there will be more power stripped away from the big corporate sector.

I'm looking for peaceful ways to grow to such a point we know freedom again and No more people are hungry and nobody own a billion dollars.

What the hell do you that much money fore anyway. ? To by yourself power !
This must stop in my opinion !!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

What do you think about this website? www.pathtofreedom.com...
It encourages individual responsibility and sustenance farming. Glenn Beck (the idiot-I know) has a link to something like this on his own website.

It encourages people to be independent and perhaps with back up the fear factor might be alleviated and everyone would calm down.

So we don't need "socialism" per se but why not introduce some happy medium: a socially conscious government that attempts to meet some modest minimum standards in basic food, housing, health and education needs of the people, one that maintains freedom of speech, protects individual rights, encourages vigorous debate and has a healthy dose of competitive capitalism thrown in?

Why can't we learn from our mistakes and adjust the paradigm?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join