It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The destruction of the family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is not a new topic and I think everyone is aware of it on some inner level. But for some reason it's really bubbled to the top for me today: the social destruction of the family.

Briefly, we have the large divorce rates, the children shuttled between home and home, less contact with extended family, etc. Then even supposing a faimily stays together there is often internal alienation, lack of communication between spouses and parents/children, "drama," conflicting values, etc.

I know that things weren't always easy in the old days so I'm not going to overemphasize the "good old days" in a simplistic way. For one, a lot more people got sick and died back then. I know a lot of people who died when I was still quite young. Also, people were locked into sick family situations and couldn't leave. All kinds of abusive stuff went on behind closed doors and people didn't talk about it.

But I don't think what society has produced today is any great miracle, either. Just to have a family most people these days need both parents working (if they are lucky enough to get jobs in this crazy economy) and that brings its own stresses. There is no security, you are seeing a lot of people living on the edge, literally a month or two from homelessness year after year. And of course increasing numbers of families actually are being tipped over into real homelessness. The cultural rot is spreading quickly in all directions.

I know there are still millions of committed and good familu people who love their kids and their relatives and keep strong contact and support. Millions of everyday people move the earth for their kids or their sick parents or their relationships or what have you. It is this basic human trait that gives me the most hope in the species because its still strong. But its under such withering attack from so many angles now that I deeply fear for the family and what it means. Further decay could mean literally catastrophic implications for the very underpinnings of civilization and humanity itself.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
In England one of the main ways has been through the planning system. It ensures that few houses are built to serve the increasing population, and that when they are built they are BELOW a certain size. Yeah when you plan an estate they like 30 to 35 homes per hectare!!!
Apparently it's to save green land, but I think it's really to ensure we can't look after the older generation, that we can't grow our own food, and that we feel depressed because the mortgage is too high, and the home too small.

Thankfully (for rich people like me) there will always be enough old houses (built before 1948, or to be fair really 1980) to serve our own needs. It's just they cost a little bit more, since new ones are rarely being built. Even so what price can you put on not living near, poor people (and the crime they often bring)?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Thank Betty Friedan!

We would be light years away from the Destruction of the Family if not for the work of strong and courageous women like her!

Women's Liberation & Feminism - how did we ever exist without you?

[edit on 21/2/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The Fractional reserve System together with
the end of expansion of the dollar hegemony will ensure that
Both parents will have to work
Leaving children to be brought up by the state
The State Shall Become the Mother,
their Nursemaid the Television,
Social programs will be the warm teat.
The few that object shall be labeled as
Conspiracy KOOKS.