It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Futurama might not be so farfetched.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Let’s start with Futurama’s setting. It is in the city of New New York, over the shattered remains of old New York. Does this really seem farfetched for 1,000 years in the future? Do you really believe NYC would not be destroyed in some way by then?
Keeping heads alive in jars. Now this raises the question, with science FAR beyond what we know of now maybe this could be a possibility at that time. Just imagine how different we are from the year 1,010. Now with technology we could develop 1,000 times faster in that same amount of time.
The wheel is obsolete. Well this is basically expected to happen anyways, we will see hover cars, probably not in our lifetimes though.
Transportation tubes. This one seems a little crazy, not because it could not be invented, but because no person would want to be zooming through a tube with their head at some ones ass.
Most of our current animals are still alive in 3,000. Just like most of the animals that were alive in 1,000 they are still alive today, this is expected.
Humans are still alive at that time, no surprise there. Robots walk the earth, well in 1,000 years my guess would robots would probably walk the earth by that time, it’s already starting. Extraterrestrial beings also live on earth; well this one is like 50/50 in chance. 50 say it won’t happen and the other 50 says I hope it happens.
Sewer mutants. Well I have to say this one seems too far out to be real. But almost every thing’s possible.
Suicide booths don’t sound crazy; imagine what kind of money they would make from that.
Licenses to kill, well if corporations got what they wanted this would probably be legal.
There is less relevance of religion, which sounds great! At the pace we are going this seems pretty likely.
Earth is unified into one government. Well this is bound to happen with globalization developing as fast as it is.
Democratic Order of Planets (D.O.O.P) is the replacement for the U.N. While this sounds exciting the chances of it happening is pretty slim. But is we keep advancing in space travel who knows what possible 1,000 years from now.

So as you can tell there is a huge ‘what if’ when it comes to futurama. Although it is still a cartoon and is largely satirical, I think they do paint a pretty accurate picture of our future. We could be more or less advanced at that time, but we won’t know until we reach that time.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Sewer mutants.

On Topic:

I do believe the planet will be governed through 1 political body, but suicide booths..? Don't forget, humans are the number 1 resource on this planet...

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

they captured the sewer mutants:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Ugh. That's rather disgusting.

I needed a reason not to go in sewers and now I have one.

new topics

top topics

join