It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF Gallery owner assaulted over Abu Ghraib painting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
After displaying a painting of U.S. soldiers torturing Iraqi prisoners, a San Francisco gallery owner bears a painful reminder of the nation's unresolved anguish over the incidents at Abu Ghraib -- a black eye and bloodied brow delivered by an unknown assailant who apparently objected to the art work.

Assault

The gallery has been closed indefinitely.

The woman has the right to freedom of speech, and to display whatever art she chooses. However, this incident illustrates the deep divide in the feelings of the American public over the war. And some of the responses to her show that people are tired of having the Abu Ghraib issue shoved down their throats.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Violence begets violence. I never got that violence could be art.

Why would you ever let anything get shoved down your throat? It is your choice whether you open your mouth in a position that could receive it.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Man, that's a shameful incident.

I'm assuming she didn't even have the time to get a good look at the idiot.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Apparently she had the door locked for some reason, maybe after hours, maybe because of the prior assault. She was assaulted when she answered a knock at the door and stepped outside.

Which might have worked to her advantage; passersby may not have seen what could have happened if she had been alone inside with the assailant.

Tolerance and sensitivity levels are way down these days. People on both sides of the fence need to chill out a bit. But of all the ways to voice your disagreement with her, this is among the worst.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Oops.. I posted this same report without looking to see if someone else had done the same sorry!

I was reading the news and should have looked before posting.

Amazing story which shows that there are americans who are not ready to see these images in public.

Gazz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I heard a talk radio show where it was stated that the LA Times has been featuring these photos and the Abu Ghraib story every day since the story broke. Maybe some people are just feeling super-saturated with this story. It doesn't necessarily mean they condone anything, one way or the other. There just is no more to say about this. What possible good can be achieved by constantly featuring this story? It's just pure politics.

It reminds me of the Laci Peterson case. Tragic, yes. But it is reported and updated at least three times a week by most major media outlets.

That is just manipulation of the news. There are dozens of horrible murders commited every day in this country - who says that the American public wants to hear about Scott Peterson and that particular case? The media tells you that you want to, that's who.

new topics

top topics

join