It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mossad's checkered history

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
An article from CNN:

Jerusalem (CNN) -- The murder in a Dubai hotel room of a Hamas leader has grabbed headlines around the world as rumors and speculation swirl about the team that allegedly assassinated him.

Fingers -- in the media and the intelligence community -- point toward Israel's spy agency Mossad as responsible. The agency is keeping quiet but has a history of operations in the Middle East, South America and Europe.

Dubai's police chief told the Dubai newspaper, The National, he was confident that a Mossad hit squad was behind the assassination of Mahmoud al Mabhouh.

In Israel, editorials have already moved on from asking if Mossad was responsible to querying if Mossad has made a mistake. An editorial in The Haaretz newspaper read: "Assassinations are neither effective nor legal and sometimes not moral -- when the target is a political leader or someone who could have been detained."

But Mossad and the Israeli government has stuck to the policy of ambiguity -- neither confirming nor denying a role in killing Mahmoud al-Mabhouh. By remaining silent, there are less likely to be international repercussions and any intelligence agency in the world likes to keep its enemies guessing.

But many operations in the past have been credited to Mossad. Undoubtedly one of the agency's greatest achievements was capturing Adolf Eichmann, an architect of the Holocaust.

Eichmann was captured in Argentina in 1960 and taken to Israel where he was tried and executed in 1962. It is still the only time Israel ever carried out the death penalty.

Rafi Eitan, head of that Mossad mission, told CNN: "We could have killed him quite easily but we wanted to take him to trial. That was much more difficult."

In 1972, at the Olympic Games in Munich, Germany, Palestinian terrorists killed two Israeli athletes and took nine more hostage, demanding the release of 200 Palestinians. Israel refused and the athletes were killed in a bungled rescue attempt by the German military at the airport.

It became known as the Munich massacre and Golda Meir, then Israeli Prime Minister, said: "It was obviously very well organized by the terrorists and our boys paid for it."

Meir is widely believed to have ordered Mossad to track down the killers. One year later, three Palestinians were killed in Beirut including Mohammad Yusuf al-Najjar, head of Black September, the militant group which carried out the attack.

Over the next few years a handful of other Palestinians believed to have been involved were also assassinated.

But in Lillehammer, Norway, Mossad agents killed the wrong man, a Moroccan who had nothing to do with the attack. Five agents were caught and imprisoned then released to Israel two years later.

Dr. Ronald Bergman, Mossad expert and author of "The secret war with Iran" told CNN: "Throughout the years Mossad earned itself a reputation of an efficient and ruthless intelligence agency with - quote - license to kill."

But an attempt to poison Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal in Jordan in 1997 failed spectacularly.

The Mossad agents were caught and Jordan's late King Hussein forced then-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - coincidentally he is also Israel's current prime minister -- to send the antidote to save Meshaal and release Hamas' spiritual leader, Sheikh Yassin. Yassin was killed in 2004 when his car was hit by missiles fired from an Israeli military helicopter.

Danny Yatom was head of Mossad at the time and ordered the Mashaal hit.

He told CNN he does not regret the assassination attempt, only the fact it failed. "I think that no terrorist can enjoy any immunity and they should know that the free world will chase them if they continue to execute terror attacks." He agrees with Mossad's policy of not commenting on operations. "Everything should be hidden because it is an unlawful operation in any other territory," he said.

The current head of Mossad, Meir Dagan, is remaining silent, but some Israeli editorials are calling for him to resign if Mossad is found guilty of the hit.

So this is interesting.

Read the rest of the story here.

This quote in particular:

Everything should be hidden because it is an unlawful operation in any other territory," he said.

Israel knows that their operations in other countries are illegal, but let's do it anyway, and then not fess up to it. That seems to be the thinking in that country.

I'm a little amazed that they've been able to do this so long without any international back lash, but then again it is Israel after all.

Thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So does canada, america, britain, russia, in fact every country on the planet.. Why don't you get into your own countries chequored history? You will find atrocities in any country.. YOURS too

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have some thoughts but I guess they are slightly off topic.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

But many operations in the past have been credited to Mossad. Undoubtedly one of the agency's greatest achievements was capturing Adolf Eichmann, an architect of the Holocaust.

Eichmann was captured in Argentina in 1960 and taken to Israel where he was tried and executed in 1962. It is still the only time Israel ever carried out the death penalty.

Rafi Eitan, head of that Mossad mission, told CNN: "We could have killed him quite easily but we wanted to take him to trial. That was much more difficult."

The thing is that the more I read about it the more I tend to believe that this is not what happened at all. First of all, I do not believe it was the MOSSAD but LAKAM, and that Eichmann wasn't really "kidnapped" but rather discarded by his fellow exiled Nazis b/c he had problems keeping his mouth shut.

I was thinking about posting a thread on this subject; something I'll do as soon as I have the time.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by NichirasuKenshin]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Really you come into this thread just to say that I should look at other countries atrocities?

As far as I know, since this is a forum where we discuss ONE topic per thread, we are to discuss the topic at hand.

You couln't add anything? Just discredit?

I understand that every country has blood on their hands friend, you need not remind me of that fact.

I was simply posting a story about Mossad because they are making big headlines lately with the Dubai assasination..

~Keeper

[edit on 2/20/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Fair enough.. I apologise.. But can you blame me with all of the anti israel theads on this site??? Any excuse it seems huh???

Whilst you are looking at the history of the institute, why don't you also mention why it was sent out to do what it did in the first place?? Get nazi war criminals whose countries they sometimes paid to hide in would have got away with their crimes against my people.. Or the Munich massacre?? They have HAD to have a "long arm" to reach out and protect little Israel and send a very strong message to our enemies : "Don't mess with us.."

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Fair enough.. I apologise.. But can you blame me with all of the anti israel theads on this site??? Any excuse it seems huh???

Whilst you are looking at the history of the institute, why don't you also mention why it was sent out to do what it did in the first place?? Get nazi war criminals whose countries they sometimes paid to hide in would have got away with their crimes against my people.. Or the Munich massacre?? They have HAD to have a "long arm" to reach out and protect little Israel and send a very strong message to our enemies : "Don't mess with us.."

I agree that there is a lot of Anti-Israel talk lately, but really though can you blame them? When I say Anti-Israel though, I mean anti government, not the people.

I love jewish people, I have quite a few in my family and extended family along with friends. I by no means support the "zionist's rule the world" idea.

It's not like we are all lying, were just expression or discontent for a country acting like it has "carte Blanche" to do what the Nazi's did in the name of "protecting ourselves".

If they were cooperating with other nations and had advised these nations of their plans, there would probably never be an issue.

But they go behind people's backs, deny any involvement without really saying so and continue with this arrogant air of "we deserve" to do whatever the hell we want.

It's just angering. You have to play by the rules like anybody else, regardless of what happened.

~Keeper

[edit on 2/20/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Well, with all due respect to you, tothetenthpower, and to the Mossad, so what?

Quote from : Wikipedia : Mossad

The Mossad (HaMossad leModi'in uleTafkidim Meyuchadim, Hebrew: המוסד למודיעין ולתפקידים מיוחדים‎ - Institute for Intelligence and Special Operations) is the national intelligence agency of Israel.

"Mossad" is the Hebrew word for institute or institution.

The Mossad is responsible for intelligence collection and covert operations including paramilitary activities.

It is one of the main entities in the Israeli Intelligence Community, along with Aman (military intelligence) and Shin Bet (internal security), but its director reports directly to the Prime Minister.

I am not questioning your thoughts on covert operations nor the legitimacy.

I am rather ambiguous because covert operations unit's like Mossad, are very often one of those necessary evil's, and while I may or may not agree with them, I would not mess with them.

I have to take a rather ambiguous stance on them not because I necessarily want to, but because there are those people on ATS who see even mentioning Israel or Mossad is akin to a hate crime, when speaking in the negative.

In other words, a long-winded, and roundabout circuitous route is one I will take.

Covering my backside quite clearly is necessary because I do see the necessity of covert operations, in some senses, but in other sense I see the commission of their actions, speaking of all covert operations here, as close to the criminal.

So, my post will not support, nor attack the Mossad, but goes sideways, like a sidewinder.

I choose to intentionally remain ambiuous because of the duplicity of mankind and ATS.

Covert Operations, have always, been one of my favorite topics.

Mossad, however, is one of those I stand back and watch, from a distance.

I have heard many versions linking them to 9/11 however I research thoroughly.

I will recommend a good movie to watch if you want to see a historical view.

Munich - Theatrical Film Trailer

Just remember, it is a Hollywood adaption, of a real story, they take liberties.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Mossad are amongst the best intel agencies in the world. They're very good at what they do. No comment on the morality. When a wreath is delivered to your door, it's over. Their history is as chequered as any major nation's covert ops. They're up there with the SAS...elite forces. They're efficient as hell...

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yes very efficient. Pop quiz (test your skill level)....why did they bring the woman?

On the topic, it is going to be impossible to have this discussion and isolate Israel.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Yes very efficient. Pop quiz (test your skill level)....why did they bring the woman?

Mossad have female agents to act as 'honey traps.' One of their first objectives is to plant explosives in the target's room. An attractive woman has the potential to do this. If this task is accomplished, she leaves and the guy gets a phone-call. By answering the phone he confirms his location, the explosive is detonated.

My skill-level is zero. I heard an interview with a UK diplomat

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Mossad is interesting. Basically a highly intelligent intelligence agency of a small country, not super-rich, with a unique set of security problems.

Much more is attributed to them than they actually deserve by the ignorant and paranoid. They were in fact onto 9/11. In fact they tried harder than any agency, which included their counterparts in the German, British, and even Saudi services to warn the US something unprecedented was coming down the pike. A Mossad agent even died on the first plane that struck the WTC. The FBI did not attach sufficient priorities to the information provided. The rest is history.

An easy and obvious target these days, Mossad had nothing on Iran's former SAVAK, Pakistan's ISI, China's undiscussed services. Russia's KGB was champ it's day. One of their top agents was Mr Vladimir Putin himself.

For the public front Israel is maligned, but in private they are are relied on to share highest level info with other Middle East services as well as the West. Surprising to most there are active back channels with the services of Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, et al. National security issues often override the wishes of political parties and even regime leaders.

Though this current hit is assumed to be Mossad, it's not implausible they had silent partners. This is considered to be the case with the assassination of Muhniyah in Syria a couple years ago. Someone deep inside the terrorist network provided a vital tip-off.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by mmiichael]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Just a point about the girl.. She was whiter than a white thing on the planet white, on white day
.. Would Mossad use a white chick or someone who would blend more in??? She would stand out a bit no?? There ARE however plenty of white chick lefty palastinan sympathisers though.. Hmmmmn.. Kinda like Patty Hurst

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Just a point about the girl.. She was whiter than a white thing on the planet white, on white day
.. Would Mossad use a white chick or someone who would blend more in??? She would stand out a bit no?? There ARE however plenty of white chick lefty palastinan sympathisers though.. Hmmmmn.. Kinda like Patty Hurst

To my eyes, and I'm pretty good at these things, the chick caught on the videos, obviously wearing a wig, is not the same person as the one in the photo being shown by the Dubai constabulary.

We only know what they are giving us from Dubai. And there is nothing so far on the past travel histories of these people which should be easily accessible.

There may be a deeper level to all this.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by mmiichael]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Logarock

Mossad have female agents to act as 'honey traps.' One of their first objectives is to plant explosives in the target's room. An attractive woman has the potential to do this. If this task is accomplished, she leaves and the guy gets a phone-call. By answering the phone he confirms his location, the explosive is detonated.

My skill-level is zero. I heard an interview with a UK diplomat

Yes. In this case t looks like she was a door key.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Yes she was obviously wearing a wig that seemed to match her "Irish" roots... I am not saying there are not any very white people in Israel as there are plenty! However I do know that from past ops that the institute use country/ethnic looking operatives... However in a "honey trap" situation, they would also know the targets various "kinks" via detailed profiling and inteligence... Who knows... Maybe the target had a thing for celtic looking females?? Speculation of course, as is most of the suggestions made on this and other threads... However the Arab and western media are running hot with many speculations that are being run as facts.. Israel is keeping silent... Which in turn is feeding the speculation.. My theory is that they didn't carry out the operation, however are keeping silent because of high level investigations to be revealed soon.. And to use the propaganda put against them twofold; in the interim it says to our enemies that we will get you wherever you are... And if evidence is found that fingers another entity; it gives Israel the moral high ground when the evidence is delivered....
However... It could also be an attempt at destabalising the arab nations already tenuous relations with Israel in the event of her attacking nuclear facilities in Iran???... Maybe it DOES go deeper huh???

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Word has it that this hamas OPERATIVE was in Dubai to buy even longer range missles to lob into Israel at innocent civilians.This is something that is Not being spoken of in the MSM or ATS threads ive read.I.E. the man was a mass murderer,it was his chosen profession.Are we supposed to be surprised or laughaubly upset by his murder??

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

I will not mourn his loss either.. If he was out there to do as you say even more so... Bomb shelters are NOT my home...

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I do not understand the questioning of Mossad's methods.

You are speaking about the agency chosen to carry out mainly illegal attacks outside of Israel. A country full of people who truly believe to be Gods chosen, with the right to treat others like animals.

If you think about it, Mossad agents cant have any ethics, morals or basic human decency. Or they wouldn't get the job.

Its kind of like asking why or if the SS were nice people and if they cared about non-Germans rights.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Israel is a secular democracy.. The ONLY one in the middle east.. We do NOT treat people as animals... No more than your own country.. I suggest you deal with your own countries issues before you deal with mine... Or are you another sheep that is fed by the same food as the rest? Laced with the juicy goodness of blindness of what your own country does?? Funny how federal is reduced to FED...

Like Yeshua... Be the unreasonable man.. For it is the unreasonable man that isnt a sheep that changes the world!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow, I sure am not sure just exactly why so many people are hostile that others are concerned about the murderous, illegal and amoral exploits of the Mossad.

It is after all just the typical terrorist organization specializing in lies, deception, blackmail, bribery, extortion, rape and murder.

You would have thought someone said something bad about Santa Claus based on some of the choicer reactions.

It’s amazing how the psychopathic and dysfunctional always have a deflective excuse to attempt to justify what is after all not just murder but COLD BLOODED murder.

I am sure their parents are proud! Not everyone has the ability to snuff out a life in such cowardly and despicable ways.

Yes indeed, Israeli’s have something to be tremendously proud about their cross dressing intelligence agents!

The worst thing that every happened to the United States of America was letting the War Time OSS morph into the peace time CIA.

The world has been in a protracted low intensity conflict without letup ever since.

I am sure Israel suffers just as much for having their very own criminally minded minders in the Mossad.

The meek sure aren’t going to be inheriting the earth anytime soon.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join