It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Olympic security cop sent home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Another Olympic security cop sent home

www.theprovince.com...

A senior RCMP officer with the Olympic security force has been charged with theft after allegedly shoplifting while off-duty in Burnaby.

Staff Sgt. Suzanne Denise Marie Martel, a 19-year member with the RCMP, was charged with one count of theft under $5,000 on Wednesday, according to the Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit (ISU).

Martel has been relieved of her duties and sent back to her Ottawa-area detachment where she faces a code of conduct investigation.

She is scheduled to appear in court in April.

The revelation of Martel’s criminal charge comes on the heels of an earl
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-2-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
These are the people supposed to be keeping everyone safe?
Why would an RCMP office be shoplifting? It's not like they are paid poorly. I wonder how many more will be relieved of duty as the investigations about the sexual assaults aboard the security ship continue. Thiese are the foks that are hiired to be protecting you and looking out for your safety.

www.theprovince.com...

[edit on 20-2-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Your surprised that people in power are taking advantage of that power?

How shocking?

No but really, we all know he RCMP are a bunch of crooks, I preferred town police when they were still around. The RCMP are like America's FBI, they just do what they want.

Should have had the Ontario OPP take that job over, then you wouldn't see ANYBODY screwing around. Those guys are hardcore.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yeah and look how corrupt the entire agency is...I mean they charged her and releived her of duty. They are all scum right...

When will people learn that cops (anywhere in the world) come from the same place YOU do and make mistakes like YOU do....none of us know why she stole anything, none of us know why any of their cops up there did any of the stuff they did. The important thing is they were caught, charged and relieved of duty.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Yeah and look how corrupt the entire agency is...I mean they charged her and releived her of duty. They are all scum right...

When will people learn that cops (anywhere in the world) come from the same place YOU do and make mistakes like YOU do....none of us know why she stole anything, none of us know why any of their cops up there did any of the stuff they did. The important thing is they were caught, charged and relieved of duty.

The US isn't the same as Canada, the police arent' the same either son, calm down.

Your a cop, and from your posts a damn good one, so obviously it's people like you who make the job the way it should be.

Yes cops are people and I don't dislike or think they are all stupid, but the RCMP in general are a bunch of scum bags.

Driving out local police who have worked for their communities for decades all the while lowering enforcement of important issues like drug trafficking and prostitution and focusing on the mundane traffic violations and shutting down house parties.

Where I use to live the drug dealers WERE the RCMP.

~Keeper

[edit on 2/20/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

Yeah, and if their union is anything like here in the US, they'll send in a big time attourney, have the charges dropped and she'll be back on the force within 6 months. With back pay and a bonus!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well I appreciate the kind words, and your right, I don't know a whole lot about Canadian cops, and obviously you do because you live there, but IMO, the main focus when a topic like this is posted is to point out that the officer in question WAS arrested by their own and they did what was right.

As to the poster who spoke of unions, never once have i seen a union come to the aid of an officer arrested on a criminal charge in all my years. Come to the aid of a knee jerk reaction by a mayor or chief, or sheriff, of course, as does ANY union.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well I appreciate the kind words, and your right, I don't know a whole lot about Canadian cops, and obviously you do because you live there, but IMO, the main focus when a topic like this is posted is to point out that the officer in question WAS arrested by their own and they did what was right.

As to the poster who spoke of unions, never once have i seen a union come to the aid of an officer arrested on a criminal charge in all my years. Come to the aid of a knee jerk reaction by a mayor or chief, or sheriff, of course, as does ANY union.

Your welcome.

And I agree that they did the right thing by arresting and sending her home, but she will most likely just receive a slap on the wrist. I believe the Olympics were like a volunteer basis thing, but I'm not sure.

Either way, shoplifting is kind of a moot crime anyway. Especially for the RCMP, they are somewhat well paid.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This saddens me. I am in the US about 200 miles south of the Canadian border, and the RCMP were always spoken highly of around here when I was growing up. The RCMP were storied to be like the Texas Rangers and other elite law enforcement teams. The stuff that legends were made of.

I really wish I hadn't read this thread. It's not so much that one was arrested, but to hear that they have become loathed by their fellow countrymen ruins a childhood impression for me.

Nonetheless...thank-you for bringing me up to date!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
What is it she stole? And Law enforcement or not if someone is crooked, they are crooked. I have known more than a few corrupt lawmen or people with a bit of power who abuse it no matter where they have that power.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

yeah that's true. We have a police officer who is convicted of rape I think it is or atleast sexual assault and he has a public defender.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Bad apples in every job. Let's look at the numbers though. 11 sent home out of 10,000 people. That's .1%.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rotorwing

Well they are alot better then American Police to deal with. I got my scanner which can pick them up, and around here they seem like pretty decent people. I do notice that with my sports car and looking so young that some of the members like to pay extra attention to me, which gets annoying. I agree wtih tothetenthpower tho that they should be spending more time on more important issues then mundane traffic violations and shutting down house parties.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by (C2C)]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
How many people are working security at the olympics? I imagine the number is in the thousands. Pretty good chance your gonna have some bad apples.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
[edit on 20-2-2010 by Game_Over]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There was a time when The Mounties inspired respect in Canadians too.

That however has but been erased in the last few years.

Ever since they murdered Dyzkanski in the airport.

The corruption of Zaccardelli.

The drunk driving charges in BC

And what about the other olympic assaults by RCMP - ON THEIR OWN MEMBERS! (rape on a boat anyone?)

Sadly my friends the RCMP have a TON of work to do in order to restore their former glory. And this does not help. Sure it seems minor on its own and it is....however when you add it all up it paints a very striking picture.

I mean, who would get a job doing security and then go out and steal while off duty in your host city? Who is that stupid...

...or is it arrogance?

These guys get dispatched to far off remote places....places they DO NOT WANT TO BE.

They do not care about their little outposts. They get moved around.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Game_Over

It's the digital age where ever infraction is open to everyone. The RCMP has 20,000 regular members and another 10,000 auxiliary members. Like I said, there are some bad apples everywhere. I've experienced this. A cop back in the 70's was an abusive cop. They couldn't pin anything on him though. He got abusive with me one night. Poor bastard didn't know me. I went home and told my father, who was a Shift supervisor at that detachment. I don't know what happened to him but I never saw him again.

new topics

top topics

join