It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexander Haig, former secretary of state, dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig, who served Republican presidents and ran for the office himself, has died.

The Haig family says he died Saturday at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore from complications associated with an infection. He was 85.

Full Story

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
What a run this man had.

May he rest in peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Rest in peace, thank you for your service to our country.

en.wikipedia.org...

For those that don't know.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Constitutionally, you have the President, the white house dogs and the first lady, and should the President decide he wants to transfer the helm to the first lady, he will do so. He has not done that. As of now, I am in control here, in the White House, pending return of the first lady and in close touch with her. If something came up, I would check with her, of course.

R.I.P.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Purple Heart for General Haig as well as working with Mac.

Had command of NATO and Europe as well.

Love to be a fly on the wall in some of his doings.

Rest in peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Rest in peace, General Haig.

A fly on the wall, indeed...

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Reminds me of a story I once heard....

Legendary drummer Buddy Rich's manager gets a phone call, asking to book Buddy.

"Buddy Rich died last week, I'm sorry to inform you."

An hour later, another call, wanting to book Buddy. Sounds like the same guy.

"Buddy died last week."

Another hour, same voice, same offer.

"Look, man, I've told you, Buddy Rich is dead. It's tough enough to deal with it, much less having you call repeatedly and keep bringing it up!"

The caller says, "Yeah, I'm sorry about that, but I was on his band last year and it just makes me so happy to hear you say it."

[edit on 20-2-2010 by NorEaster]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Constitutionally, gentlemen, you have the President, the Vice President and the Secretary of State in that order, and should the President decide he wants to transfer the helm to the Vice President, he will do so. He has not done that. As of now, I am in control here, in the White House, pending return of the Vice President and in close touch with him. If something came up, I would check with him, of course. - Al Haig

He took a lot of heat for the above quote after RR was shot.

Maybe it wasn't supposed to go that way - maybe he wasn't supposed to say it. But, I'm thinking he likely told the truth when he said it and that the US was in pretty good hands for that little bit.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
As far as I know his brother (a jesuit) is still teaching at Loyola College in Baltimore.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
He was a soldiers soldier. When there was chaos in the White House, when the VP and Speaker could not be found, when America's adversary's were glued to the TV with baited breath, and the cameras of the world focused on him, General Alexander Haig took the initiative to let the world know immediately, that his country still had leadership! That his country still had control!
With that, the high hopes of America's enemies, for a chance to cause her harm, were dashed to pieces.
A citizens hero!
May G_D rest his soul and comfort his family.
May G_D Bless America.

Violater1
out

new topics

top topics

join