It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do Skeptics Imagine ET Visitation Would Look Like?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I'm one of those people who finds some of the evidence for the reality of UFOs to be pretty convincing. I also think that the ET hypothesis is an explanation that makes more sense - for at least some UFOs - than just about any other.

For example, when I see that there are hundreds upon hundreds of reports by professional pilots claiming to see essentially the same thing (ie. a round, disc-shaped, metallic appearing object that looks to be the size of a manmade aircraft approaching their plane, pacing it for several minutes, maneuvering in a controlled fashion and then zipping off at an incredible speed), I tend to think that at least SOME of these pilots probably saw pretty much what they (and often their crew and passengers) said they saw. And if even ONE of them did actually see what he says he saw...then what they hell is going on?

Secret military craft? Seriously? In the 1940's? Maybe.

Unknown natural phenomenon? One that somehow appears to be an 80-foot-wide intelligently maneuvering metallic disk? Possibly.

Weather balloon flying steady and even at 600 miles per hour? Of course.

Ok, fine, I give up. You're right. There is absolutely no reason to suspect that these things - even if the pilots are accurately describing exactly what occurred - are in any way connected with extraterrestrial visitation to Earth. What the pilots saw was obviously something else.

So here's my question for the thinking skeptic:

If extraterrestrials were (hypothetically) to visit our planet, what kind of evidence of said visitation would you speculate that could we expect to see?

And...begin.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I honestly wouldn't expect a UFO to come and land in NYC.

I'd expect more of a nonchalant announcement from the Governments around the world to the people, and letting it flow softly from there.

Just my opinion on that though.

---oops looks like I misunderstood the question.

I wouldn't expect any kind of evidence left behind (expect that is), we're talking probably a species so unfathomable that it to leave behind a trail of popcorn is unreasonable.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Republican08]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Skeptic/ET contact was depicted in the movie Contact. I think that's as far as any actual ET/UFO skeptic would be willing to go for this subject.

If actual ETs would show up to this planet and become a subject of serious discussion in the media rather than one of derision, skeptics would consider it an elaborate hoax being perpetrated by the government. For evidence that this would be the outcome, see the current skepticism on global warming.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Frith]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

G'day Orkojoker

Steven Greer thinks it looks like this.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59a46f5ed449.jpg[/atsimg]

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Secret military craft? Seriously?
Yes...seriously...I believe some of them are Alien crafts...but I also believe a good portion of UFO accounts are simply secret military crafts.

Even though I'm not a skeptic, I'll give my answer, and that would be the same as Republican08, they simply wouldn't leave behind any physical evidence, however, depending on where and when the visitation happened, we could have some good photos of the occurrence....but would that really be enough? Millions upon millions of people claimed to have witnessed UFO's/ET's...including hundreds of highly intelligent and respectable people...we also have a good amount of video and photo evidence...but that's all we will ever get, testimony and photos...and it just doesn't seem to be enough for people, no matter how much of it we have.

[edit on 20/2/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I would say it would be a large saucer shaped galactic community, big enough to house lots of e.ts
, I just possibly could not imagine them coming so far in twos or threes, I'm sure some sort of communication methods would arise.
But I would say they would be the must superior of race.

what if they never came and we where just watching a military air show all along?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
"What Do Skeptics Imagine ET Visitation Would Look Like?"

Is this a trick question? I wouldn't think they'd imagine them to look like anything, being that they're skeptics and all...

However, if I were a skeptic reading this, I would probably wonder why anyone would care about what I thought an ET visitation would look like. BTW, why are you asking this question? I don't see how this would be fascinating.

Sorry . . . .I'm sounding like a jerk . . .I'll go now.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

'Thinking skeptic?' Well hello there

I think it would look very similar to what we've been seeing for years. I think they'd send huge quantities of probes into our skies to record and collect data. They'd be intended to be discreet rather than clattering around in the kitchen. Naturally, some would be noticed.

The purpose of collecting the data would likely be lost on us...we'd have no idea if that reason was positive/neutral/negative. Their concept of time and ours may be very different...a lifetime to us may represent something less to them? We wouldn't know.

Sightings would be reported. A population of nearly 7 billion would make it inevitable.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Like Kandinsky above I truly expect it would look like the so far decided creatures. I'd expect eyes, limbs, ears and a mouth. Almost certainly reproductive organs or some sort.

It's hard to speculate on muscular issues, some would say they were advanced enough to use their minds so would not be as physical as us, some might say the time in space would make them under physically evolved but you then have to take into account of how they may or may not travel, if they can fold dimensions then they would have very little time in space.

Who knows

Maybe they all look like Chuck Norris?

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Mclaneinc]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
well i'm a skeptical believer.

i think most ufos are hoaxes or misidentification.However it only takes one to be real.
I'd say we'd never know they were here unless they wanted us to or didn't care if we knew.

think how completely todays hollywood could trick cavemen and you will see my reasoning.
the sightings i believe most are ones with radar contacts involved

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think it's outrageous to assume that they would have any organs or bodyparts even remotely resembling a human being. Consider putting an octopus and a human side by side. Just from one evolutionary tree, two creatures utterly different from the other have obtained substantial intelligence. Granted the human is more intelligent and is better-equipped to manipulate its environment, but my point stands.

Now go back to the lineup, and put a chimpanzee, human, and a stereotypical "gray". Try telling me they are not genetically related. Of course the gray might not exist, but the figure has been associated with UFO encounters predating the modern UFO era by centuries, even millennia.

This is "kind of" related to the thread, lol. I'm skeptical of everything, but in this case I'm far more skeptical of the groups that claim the phenomena is only recent, or only military technology. However I cannot explain how they look so similar to us. Not just us - we share a genetic archetype with them that must go back tens, hundreds of millions of years. For god's sakes, they are bipedal vertebrates! They're not just earth-related, they are nearly human.

They evolved here. “When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains--however improbable--must be the truth.” --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ok, I apparently did a poor job of phrasing my question clearly. Here is a re-phrasing that will hopefully spark some speculation:

If Earth were to be visited by extraterrestrials, would we be able to tell? If so, how?

top topics

join