It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear 'Asteroids' Due In A Few Hundred Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Article from here:

www.space.com...

"In this space.com article, it mentions a RORSAT satellite that has been leaking radioactive coolant, leaving little droplets of it in orbit around our planet. However, further down, it also mentions this, quoted here for maximum impact: 'After a RORSATs tour-of-duty was over, the reactor's fuel core was shot high above Earth into a "disposal orbit." Once at that altitude the power supply unit would take several hundred years before it reentered the Earth's atmosphere.' Wow. So ... our great-grandchildren can expect a lovely day, partly cloudy with the occasional nuclear reactor plummeting down from outer space."

We really need to start making better long term preperations for our generations to come...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
We?

This isn't our problem, it's brought to you by the makers of the K-class submarines, them and their moronic attempts at liquid metal coolants for reactors responsible for so many casualties at sea while we were safely sailing the oceans in nuclear-powered subs for decades, the Soviets.

Oiy...it's a good thing we smashed them

Perhaps this will be the real setting for the "Space Cowboys" movie...makes more sense than Soviet Missiles in space...and it's true....too bad they didn't think of this for that movie.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I meant "we" as in "the whole planet" and not just on this subject... we should be more careful with everything we do with long term effects.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well that was sort of my point
It's not we who are not careful, NASA is very careful and the US as a whole is somewhat pretty careful, it is 2nd world trash that Communism created, and the 3rd world which doesn't know any better though they are learning, that causes these problems.

I was just concerned that someone would get the idea, "those stupid NASA people" and think they have more ammunition to cut their funding

Oh but also they aren't sure the droplets are still radioactive, but the satellites most likely are, I'm not sure what they thought a disposal orbit was, I'd think a disposal orbit would be directly towards the sun but that's just me

Next thing you know we cause the sun to just "blink out"...it'd figure.

new topics

top topics

join