It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWSWEEK's guide to fringe beliefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

NEWSWEEK's guide to fringe beliefs

www.newsweek.com

Like recurring nightmares, conspiracy theories aren't necessarily gone for good just because they disappear for a while. They often come back, sometimes in slightly different forms. Their last golden age came during the middle of the Bush administration, which saw rumors from the political left about connections between the Bushes and the bin Ladens, insinuations about the military-industrial complex and the Patriot Act—actually, pretty much every plotline in Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11. Nothing breeds paranoid theories like political exile, which means that with Democrats back in the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Looks like another attack on free thinkers. In this article dated Feb 12, 2010, David A. Graham Discusses 13 conspiracy theories, supposedly debunking all in 2 pages with very few references to source info to defend his position.

1. Barack Obama was not born in the United States.
Conclusion? "fully debunked."

2. Anthropogenic global warming is a hoax.
Conclusion? "warming is real, and it's caused by human actions."

3. Goldman Sachs intentionally created the economic crisis.
Conclusion? "…no empirical data available either way"

4. Democrats' health plan will create death panels.
Conclusion? "PolitiFact named the theory the "Lie of the Year" in 2009."

5. Barack Obama is a secret Muslim.
Conclusion? "Nope." with a link -

www.newsweek.com...

6. Sarah Palin is not the mother of her 1-year-old son, Trig.
Conclusion? "Sullivan has couched the whole thing"
I had not heard that one.

7. ACORN is part of a liberal conspiracy to steal elections.
Conclusion? No Proof

8. FEMA is establishing detention camps.
Conclusion? "Too silly to discuss."

9. The Council on American-Islamic Relations is trying to infiltrate Capitol Hill and spread jihad.
Conclusion? "no proof of sinister motives"

10. Obama wants to conscript Americans into a civilian defense corps.
Conclusion? "…a claim for which there's no support."

11. Time magazine wants to restrict the Internet to licensed users.
Conclusion? References this site --

swampland.blogs.time.com...

12. 9/11 was an inside job.
Conclusion? "Not even the staunchest mainstream George W. Bush bashers believe this one. Enough said."

13. The Omnibus One-World Government, Unified Currency, Dollar-Abolishing, Free Trade–Advocating Theory of Everything:
Gotta Love that title!
Conclusion? "sounds plausible" totally tongue in cheek with ref to this site

www.newsweek.com...

I am sure most of the sheeple out there will laugh it off and ignore anyone who brings up any of these subjects in the future, it was covered in Newsweek after all, what would they have ot hide?

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Gee, maybe this means `someone' is getting worried.

They took all that space in a national publication just to debunk all of us paranoid righto-leftist, neo-lesbian, fur-bearing libertarian varmints.

We should be ashamed

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
#14- This article is non biased.
False. This article is very biased.

three.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

Problem is, I didn't see even close to the amount of proof that your average college paper requires as references, let alone a "News" article.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Could it be that as most of these topics are becoming ever so slightly mainstream, with even the likes of.....Glen Beck (sorry) bringing up the topic of FEMA camps and stating on national US TV that these cannot be disproven, that this is the start os a NWO controlled media, on a high brow fight back! So, that all those who read news week, thinking they have a "wider open world view", will retain and distribribute this message, so that others, who hear what these people have to say on these subjects, and in turn believing then to be their "itellect superiors" becuase they read News Week!!!! wow! heheh. would belive what they say. That everything that is up for discussion here is a complete waste of time and energy and therefore does NOT warrant even thinking about, let alone looking into.

Conclousion. trickle effect works, and the sheeple go back to sleep. leaving the rest of the elite to carry out the sinster plans. (this is delibeartely sarcastic!)

But you never know. but if it is just a newsweek article on a popular theme just something to make the normal people feel better and less scared, and that everything is OK. becuase it's all just not true!! .....honest!

[edit on 19-2-2010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
So rather than present real evidence to prove or disprove most of these, they just give their opinion and pray that everyone will swallow that load of BS? I am sorry, but even if I was on the fence about most of those, the simple fact that they cannot prove or disprove most of them would make me all the more skeptical of their attempt. It is news outlets like this one that make me sick of the BS media.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I do have to say this article did have one good effect; there are 13 pages of comments after it debating various points. Some good arguments, some not so good.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I signed up just to leave a comment! I said, "OMG! (And I so rarely use "OMG!") This is so contrived and false in so many ways! Shame on you, Newsweek! SHAME!"

Anyway, I'm sure it will not make any difference except that it felt good. I won't go back there unless I learn of more reality spinning I need to comment on.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Its not so much a attack on free thinkers its an attack on has been ideas that have been threw the ringer a million times.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yeah, somebody is onto something alright, and its NEWSWEEK.

Like everyone else on the planet right now trying to make a quick buck, they figured out that conspiracy theory is a hot topic at the moment, thanks to the 2012 hysteria. The same people who buy into 2012 buy into CT, so it makes for entertaining reading.

And what else would you expect out of a News Magazine from MSM, anyway?

Real News?

Thanks for sharing the article.

new topics

top topics

join