It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robin Dehaven, and heroism...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Robin Dehaven is a glass company worker who after seeing the plane flown by Joe Stack crash into the building in Austin Texas went above and beyond by taking ladders carried on his truck to the scene to assist in rescue efforts at the crash site. That alone would have been a commendable act. But, Robin took further effort, putting himself in danger while climbing into a burning building to assist victims trapped inside. For these actions, Robin Dehaven is a hero.

I think our news media throws the term "hero" around much too liberally these days. An example is calling Chelsey B. Sullenberger III, the pilot of U.S. Airways Flight 1549 that came down in the Hudson River hero. Don't get me wrong. Sullenberger is an example of a truly professional pilot that displayed superior skills as well as leadership in his piloting of the crippled plane. And I admire him for this. However, it is his job to fly the plane and bringing it down safely is part of his job. He did not go above and beyond his duties by bringing it down in the river.
I also have an issue with so many news outlets referring to police as heroes. Again, I temper my statement by saying some police officers do things that are truly heroic. But let’s not forget, they are in a job that is inherently dangerous. Calling police heroes for doing their job is diminishing the intensity of the word hero. The same goes with firefighters and soldiers.

Don’t misunderstand where I’m coming from. I generally hold in high regard police, firefighters and soldiers and believe they are all worthy of our respect and honor. BUT, just being any one of these professionals does not make one an instant hero.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by PhoenixDemon]

join