It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rattling Seismographs World over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Has anybody checked out the latest updates on the world seisemographs
tonight? There are what looks like big and multiple earthquakes happening in a whole lot of places at this very moment.

Are these connected to the Volcanic eruptions in the Congo? Is mother trying to tell us she's getting ready to shake us off her planet?

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
There is certainatly a lot of activity! How long has it been that so many are offline though? Very strange....

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I check the monitors on almost a daily frequency, just to see what is shaking around the world and here at home. The monitors that are most often offline when I check in are located in China. There will typically be three or four not showing.

Today's large number of unavailable seisemographic images is unusual.
I am not a geologist or earthquake scientist. I got into the habit of checking the internet monitors while following ATS World Wide Seismic thread a while back.

This is unusual in my humble opinion.

rad

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Looks pretty normal to me, it looks like it originated near China as it has the largest activity but I can't be certain. But if you look at it it started it seems around 23:00 and 10 minutes in China, and then about 20 minutes later was picked up by the Alaskan monitors and 10 minutes after that picked up by monitors in Albuquerque, NM. Australia picked up the event about the same time Alaska did so I'm sure you can triangulate its position from that...

Keeping with the logic Texas picked up an event just after New Mexico did.

South Korea picked it up very close to when China did, about 5 minutes before. Spitzbergen picked it up a little before Kongsberg which makes sense to me as Kongsberg is a little farther away from the Japanese Islands than Spitzbergen and I have a feeling that it is some siesmic event located near the convergent boundaries off Japan, which is a perfect assumption earthquakes only happen at convergent boundaries as earthquakes only happen where colder rocks are coming together so that rules out the divergent boundaries.

Since China picked it up only shortly after Korea I have a feeling it is actually caused near the convergent boundary that runs with the Ryukyu Islands just south of Japan.

And Petropavlosk picked it up just after Korea started to and it's just north-east of Korea (south Korea).

Yeah...so where ever it was it hit Korea and China very soon, then Petropavlosk, then moved outward in circles, hit spitzbergen hit Kongsberg Alaska Hawaii New Mexico then Texas and so on...

Hmm that's cool, hit Arizona like half a minute before New Mexico.

Anyways, there's your daily viewing of the Seismographs, a single event recorded at different times by location seemingly from the area of Japan. If only a Japanese data was available it'd probably be the most earliest detection.

I'd be concerned if all the monitors picked up really massive seismic events at the same time

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I want to make a correction, it seems that the over-all events occured during 22:00 hour GMT. Hard for me to tell on the areas where there's a lot of overlap but Antartica's station at the South Pole shows readings begining at about 21:00:20 and continuing through 22:00:nn to about 23:00:40 so it would seem all the larger detections were spaced over the time of 22:00:nn and the preceeding and ending events are the build-up dying-down periods and got clogged with all the marks making it look like it was somewhere around 23:00:nn ... looking at them it could be either or, so it has to have been during 22:00:nn based on Antarctica's data.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
In the past there has been alot of Earthquake activity around the globe when the pass of Venus between the Suna nd the Earth happens. And that's getting close. 9 days away now...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
No there hasn't been? Where did you get that idea from? The tidal forces of Venus would be no different transiting across the sun as it would be simply passing closest to earth and it's not such a rare event that we as humanity have not been able to record the transit.

Also, I've already covered how this is not "many seismic events" but only one located very near to the convergent boundaries off the coast of Japan.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Oh its just some random shaking, happens all the time.

After a year at ATS reading seismic threads you'll begin to see that "abnormal" things happen more than normal things

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
well there was a 6.6 Earthquake east off Japan's coast and a 5.1 in southern Alaska.

earthquake
number DATE
yy/mm/dd TIME (GMT)
hh:mm:ss LAT
degrees LON
degrees DEP
km MAG Q COMMENTS
1 04/05/29 20:56:13 34.30N 141.33E 38.3 6.6M A OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPA
2 04/05/30 11:03:26 61.08N 152.22W 128.0 5.1M SOUTHERN ALASKA

Excerpted from.
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
well there was a 6.6 Earthquake east off Japan's coast and a 5.1 in southern Alaska.

GASP! An Earthquake in the most seismically active zones on earth?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Dang, nice to find that site with a summary of a whole bunch of seismographs.

I used to check them trough a douzen links all representing days old data from 1 or 2 graphs

Btw, nerdling, anyone ever tell you how much you look like Frodo?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Gasp! a smartpants in our midst........... Who would figure?....

I was pointing out that all the rumbling did cause two earthquakes.......

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Nothing unusual at all. As a matter of fact, the time period in question was actually relatively quiet. Try this link www.iris.edu... It graphically displays all 4.0 and above activity for the current day, prior day and past two weeks. An active 24 period would include 8 to 12 4.0's or better. Hope it's helpful.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Btw, nerdling, anyone ever tell you how much you look like Frodo?

It's not me, its Jake Gyllenhaal, star of The Day After Tomorrow

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Ooohh, hehe, can he act? I hope so, cause the guy doing Frodo sure couldn't

Anyways, I agree with CommonSense. Activity like that isn't really something I haven't seen before.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Look up long-term and long-duriation seismic charts and seismogaphs at google until you find them, then we'll start having a real discussion, otherwise this thread isn't going to show much.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Youth of Christ
Look up long-term and long-duriation seismic charts and seismogaphs at google until you find them, then we'll start having a real discussion, otherwise this thread isn't going to show much.

If you click on the "search" button and look for some of the existing posts on earthquakes,
you'll find what sort of real discussion can be had on ATS in regards to seismic activity.

Welcome to the board.

-B.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Try:

www.skepticfiles.org...

www.discerningtoday.org...

www.gfz-potsdam.de...

These are all good too.

Thanks for the welcome, I came here after looking for information on another member of this site, this site is by far the most diverse I've ever seen.

I tried the search and saw all of the results, thanks for the help!

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Youth of Christ]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm amazed no one even seems to care that I pin-pointed exactly the location of the earthquake on 29-05-04...yet someone posts some website and everyone suddenly revises their thinking? Stop being sheep, there are people here who know enough to read Seismographs...don't need bloody websites.

new topics

top topics

join