It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill O'Reilly Tells CPAC: Don't Bash Obama!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Bill O'Reilly Tells CPAC: Don't Bash Obama!

www.huffingtonpost.com

Bill O'Reilly issued a surprising Talking Points segment Thursday night, where he urged conservative attendees at CPAC not to "bash" President Obama.

"There are two kinds of political attacks," O'Reilly said. "The personal, meant to diminish the human being and criticism of policy, meant to persuade people, the person in power is doing a bad job. Of course, there's nothing wrong with policy criticism or satire. That's a hallmark of America. But the personal stuff is cheap. And we're seeing more and more of it....

"There is no question that President Obama is having some big problems," he continued. "All the polls show that. So is he a legitimate political target. But if CPAC makes a weekend out of bashing Obama, it will be making a big mistake."

O'Reilly urged attendees to focus on policy solutions instead.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/19/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If anyone knows about personal attacks its O'Reilly.

I usually don't agree with him on anything but lately he has caught my attention first by asking Palin why she didn't come down of the big fat blowhard for using retarded when referring to Democrats instead of defending him.

And now this. And he is right. Attacks and nothing but attacks don't make a good campaign...it makes the attackers look bad and the attacked look like a victim.

Trouble is...its all the GOP and the right has. They can't stop sputtering about Obama long enough to actually enunciate any aletrnative policies that don't look like the same old tired policies that got us in this economic mess to begin with...

And if they don't start coming up with something soon, the voters, even voters disgruntled with Obama and the Democrats won't be listening.

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic

Trouble is...its all the GOP and the right has. They can't stop sputtering about Obama long enough to actually enunciate any aletrnative policies that don't look like the same old tired policies that got us in this economic mess to begin with...

And if they don't start coming up with something soon, the voters, even voters disgruntled with Obama and the Democrats won't be listening.

www.huffingtonpost.com

Pretty good post until we got to this little gem.

8 years and going you democrats have made fun of Bush. His personal life and political life has been the butt of many jokes. So forgive me if a few personall attacks on Obama doesn't bring a tear to my eye.

You should really do a leave Barry alone YouTube things. I bet you would get around a million hits.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Berserker01

Somewhat agree. After 8 years of watching the Democrats behave and sound like little children with their incessant "You're a poo-poo head" blathering and whiney attacks of Bush, it would really be a good idea for the GOP to shut the hell up right now. Attack Obama's multitude of poorly thought out, even more poorly executed initiatives, schemes, and hairbrained ideas all they want, of course. The attacks on him on a personal level are childish and pointless at this point... it's not like they are advancing the party or efforts to get the GOP party back to power in any way.

Take the high road and show the American people, through actions and deeds, how adults behave and resolve conflicts.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I watched a bit of the CPAC today. I must say a lot of it did seem like petty attacking and not a lot of substance.

Then there was a panel on security v. liberty. Two of the five guys sounded like Ashcroft cheerleaders. They kept talking about how Bush and company got it all right with the PATRIOT act. According to them there was no need to change anything about it. One guy, a congressman, basically implied that there was nothing unconstitutional about it and that all the necessary oversight could be performed by congress. Jim more reminded him that the law is supposed to be constitutional and oversight belongs to the judiciary. The congressman couldn't defend his statement. He obfuscated what Jim More said and then said More wasn't a conservative.

The only people I heard all day that didn't sound like political shills or Rush Limbaugh imitators were Bob Barr and Jim More. Otherwise it really sounded like "we hate Obama and want to return to the Bush administration." Then there was the insistent worshipping of Friedman economics. All of it was wrapped up in the required Ronald Reagan worship.

I was severely disappointed in the whole thing. I turned it on hoping to hear something original something that was a real alternative to the last nine years. Besides Barr and More I heard nothing that sounded different than the eight years under Bush.

However, if Jim More or Bob Barr wants to run for president I would strongly consider voting for either in a general election.

edit for spelling

[edit on 19-2-2010 by MikeNice81]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Oreilly is not a idiot.

He knows independents to this day quite like Obama as a person...its some of the actual issues that independents are having problems with for a multitude of reasons now, none of which I will state here (as everyone has their opinion on the cause)

but

If they rip apart the character of Obama, that will completely isolate the independents (most of them) that quite like the man and not the policy.

Oreilly is a hard conservative but also a fairly clever person..Its in his caucus interest to keep the character assassination down to a mumble.

The biggest insult you can pay to someone in a battle of intellect is to say they sure look good..(meaning thats all they brought to the battle). Once you attack someone on grounds not relating to the issue at hand, you will quickly lose the battle.

Character Assassination is sooo 10 years ago.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If Bill 'O' said that kudos.
How refreshing for a change.

Sometimes I think the current state of the Republican Party is taking it's cues from the era of Taft. If I may parphrase, he said it is the opposition party's obligation to oppose. Heck I always thought it was to govern.

As Grandmammie Kurious always said "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."

Is it going to take another 9/11 to make us all realize we're all Americans?
I wish not.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I watched that show last night and was hoping someone would create a thread on it because I thought it really showed O'Reilly actually being "fair and balanced" - something the people that have never watched him like to criticize ad nauseum.

That said, and maybe I should be asking this question on the Keith Olbermann thread, but someone please post an example of Olbermann or Matthews doing the same thing.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
....but someone please post an example of Olbermann or Matthews doing the same thing.

Well they usually DO praise Obama. But in the spirit of poking fun at blowhard TV "journalists." Here ya go............................

I agree this guy never shuts up.

Regards...kk

[edit on 19-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Thanks. Was hoping to also get something along the lines of either Olbermann or Matthews saying something like this: "You may not agree with Sen. Brown's (R-Mass) stand on the issues, but personal attacks like calling him a racist have to stop".

That's the kind of thing O'Reilly says all the time.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Matthew is a putz, I cant watch that guy without getting a serious eyebrow twitch...especially when he laughs.
He needs to be replaced.

I like watching Olberman, simply because he is a diehard liberal with a sarcastic anger to himself...his reports are seriously slanted, but I dont get any serious news from him anyhow.

Maddow is the best of the left wing talking heads however...she actually gets me quite peeved while watching her show, mostly because even though she takes a light hearted approach, the stuff she talks about is anything but light hearted...makes you quite frustrated.

I dont watch Fox news...but thats probably because I am not a neocon...I choose my brainwashing to be left of center verses right...and CNN is centerist bordom...all of the talking heads however are simply entertainers and should never be considered a credible news source...they are the ones that take news and weaves it into agenda driven opinions.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I agree, however that doesn't give those who did the same to Bush the right to say that though.

That would mean they are being hypocrites. Although there are a massive amounts of those on ATS. None of them likes it when they are called out on it.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Berserker01]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Thanks. Was hoping to also get something along the lines of either Olbermann or Matthews saying something like this: "You may not agree with Sen. Brown's (R-Mass) stand on the issues, but personal attacks like calling him a racist have to stop".

Oh, Matthews often sticks up against personal attacks...but in reality, peoples annoyance level is peaked rather quickly with his show and so sort of ignore him.

Olberman is Hannity...neither will back down from personal attacks, tactful or otherwise....its their gig

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Berserker01

I agree, however that doesn't give those who did the same to Bush the right to say that though.

I disagree... ALWAYS defend a hypocrite's Constitutional right to voice their hypocrisy. Always. In the end, aside from the 10-15% of the population on each side who will never see anything but their own political agenda driven tunnel vision, there's 70% of core Americans who will eventually recognize them for what they are. Refuse to afford them the right to openly be hypocritical and that 70% of America may never realize who the hypocrites running for office and preaching televised propaganda really are. Often, to catch the wolf in sheep's clothing, you have to allow it into the flock where it is almost certain to expose itself.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think Reilly and company have been paying attention to the internet chatter.

Brilliant move on his part...

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

A hypocrite cannot be tolerated.

I refuse to tolerate liars and as far as I am concerned a hypocrite is no better.

Just about everyone on this site is guilty of it and that is why I can only stomach ATS for one day out of the week. Anymore then that and I will most likely be banned.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Bill O reily is a talking head on the radio - who cares what he thinks, he's done nothing himself but criticize aka Monday morning qb'ing.

As far as the prez goes I'm pretty sure they know he's from Kenya or something and are keeping him in line at this point he's just gone to far to the left to make sense.

Close a 14 billion dollar nuclear waste facility then authorize 8 billion for 2 new reactors - wtf this guy is crazy.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
Bill O reily is a talking head on the radio - who cares what he thinks, he's done nothing himself but criticize aka Monday morning qb'ing.

As far as the prez goes I'm pretty sure they know he's from Kenya or something and are keeping him in line at this point he's just gone to far to the left to make sense.

Close a 14 billion dollar nuclear waste facility then authorize 8 billion for 2 new reactors - wtf this guy is crazy.

O'Reily has a radio talk show?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Oh, Matthews often sticks up against personal attacks...but in reality, peoples annoyance level is peaked rather quickly with his show and so sort of ignore him.

Olberman is Hannity...neither will back down from personal attacks, tactful or otherwise....its their gig

Exactly.

The reason I quit watching Hannity (and listening to Limbaugh) a long time ago. Their "shrillness" got to be like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Surprised?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Heh, I certainly hope many of you never get arrested ... the old "good cop bad cop" technique apparently still confuddles you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join