It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone give an example of a single peaceful revolution in history???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There are alot of individuals on these boards that are against any type of violent revolution. I cannot think of a single peaceful revolution that has ever occured. How can we have a revolution using a system that only seems to make things worse?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Can anyone give an example of a single peaceful revolution in history???

Ye sure...... here's one

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Woodstock.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I believe they have been shaping and reshaping laws for years and years for the exact purpose of making sure we cannot have a peaceful revolution. TPTB are not known to resolve things that don't go their way peacefully on top of it all. I just don't see it ever happening.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

It seems they had other factors that contributed to the success. Their civil resistance played a part but they would not have succeeded if the conditions were not right. I don't think we have that advantage in the U.S. right now. Thank you for that article; it gave me some insight.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Where is your second line you revolutionist?

If not Woodstock the whole movement. Sure there were riots in Paris and violence in the US initially but overall music, fashion, the pill and a certain amount of other stuff.... did change the western world. But then they came back out of the woodwork.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

I just don't see it ever happening.

If you don't ever see it happening and most people think that exact way then it simply won't happen.

If we want it to happen then we have to make it happen but first we have to believe that we can make it happen.

But hey that's just my opinion.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Gandhi led non-violence movement against British. Then there was case of Non-Violence action against Apartheid South Africa. Dalai Lama is currently leading non-violence revolution for Tibet. I am sure there would be more.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
How about a peaceful revolution against a violent, oppresive, and superpowerful government such as that of the U.S.A.?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Heres a real question. If you spark a revolution in the name of violence what does it achieve? Not a whole lot.

To be a true revolutionary means to win the hearts and minds of the masses and that is neverachieved through violence.

Violence is usually a last resort.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Any ideas on how we could do it in the U.S.? I don't want a violent revolution by the way. that is the last thing I would want. I love my family too much. I need things to change drastically however because I am having a hard time surviving and I know I shouldn't be. I work hard and I'm honest and I served this country. What more can I do?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I think both peaceful and violent revolutions work...depending what your goal is.

My problem with all the revolution talk is that I don't think one is necessary.

What are you revolting against? What do you want changed? What freedoms or rights do you not have right now that you want to fight for?

We are here on a computer talking over the internet...yes...we are all so oppressed *sarcasm*

Another revolutionary on this board says he wants to fight because he want to own land and live off of his own land...WTF...he can do that now....but you still have to WORK for it.

So please tell me...what exactly does your theoretical revolution aim to change???

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I truly believe either by design or incompetence the middle class is being destroyed. My quality of life is deteriorating rapidly as I work harder and harder. Our govenment has betrayed us. The level of corruption is higher than ever in this country. Our rights are being taken away every day and the government continues to claim more powers over the citizenry. I want a revolution so I can live in a country that cares about it's people and elects honest servents who represent them. I don't want illegal and unjust wars being waged in my name. I want the U.S. to help people when we can with no strings attached. I want a revolution because I want the United States of America to be the "Good Guys" that I thought we were when I was young. I want to be proud of my nation.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You can not force somebody else to change. True change comes from within.

In the words of Ghandi, "Be the change that you want to see in the world."

In my own words, to force change upon others by definition is called fascism.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Peaceful revolution?

Sure, and every 4 years too, by your vote, at least for US. We get better each time with better tech, education, awareness, revelations and evolution.

The founding fathers, hundreds thousands of them, from the supreme commander to the foot soldier, did not die in vain and so that no more blood need to be shed any further.

Think about it before you dust that gun out of your closet, if you are a true patriot of the flag.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

This country started because of a violent revolution that worked out well, didn't it?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I wrote this in another thread, but it bears repeating.

People often cite Ghandi or Martin Luther King as examples of people who accomplished social revolutions without violence. While it is true that Ghandi and Martin Luther King were pacifists, they had colleagues that were part of the same broad movement that were not pacifists. For example, Martin Luther King had Malcolm X as a contemporary. Malcolm X was not a pacifist and disagreed with MLK on many points, but they were both part of the same broad movement to get more legal rights for Black people.

If you read between the lines, you will see pacifists like ML and Ghandi needed violent counterparts to accomplish peaceful revolutions. Their messages were not, "Please honor my reasonable request. I am peaceful." Their messages really were, "Please honor my reasonable request. I am peaceful. If you do not listen to me, those people over there, who happen to be violent wack jobs, will take by force everything I am asking for, and then some.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by hotpinkurinalmint]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by devildogUSMC
How about a peaceful revolution against a violent, oppresive, and superpowerful government such as that of the U.S.A.?

All the examples I gave in this post fit the category you describe.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I actually agree with your sentiment. It's true both violence and non-violence play parts in a revolution but and a big BUT if people takes only one route be it violence or non-violence both routes will result in heavy loss of life, resources and time. A good revolution should be mixed of both.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I truly believe either by design or incompetence the middle class is being destroyed. My quality of life is deteriorating rapidly as I work harder and harder.

And you are basing this only off of YOUR situation. I'm middle class...I am doing just fine. All my relatives and friends are doing just fine...and yes...all middle class. If you are WORKING at all...you are doing better than a lot of people. If you are working harder and harder and your quality of life is going down...would you care to say in what aspect is your quality of life going down?

[quotes]Our rights are being taken away every day and the government continues to claim more powers over the citizenry.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME ONE EXAMPLE OF A RIGHT THAT HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU.

I want a revolution so I can live in a country that cares about it's people and elects honest servents who represent them. I don't want illegal and unjust wars being waged in my name. I want the U.S. to help people when we can with no strings attached. I want a revolution because I want the United States of America to be the "Good Guys" that I thought we were when I was young. I want to be proud of my nation.

This is just a part of growing up. The United States did awful things to give you the life you have now....they have done so since it's birth. Show me any time in history where the United States were the "good guys"...you can start by asking the Native Americans. Your way of thinking is just plain naive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join